Empire Veteran
# 11
01-16-2013, 11:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontdrunkimshoot View Post
so once i recruit as many as i can use, im sure i will have about 20% crit chance wile APA is on, before even factoring the crit mods on the weapons. thats pretty hilarious.

at this point, im pretty sure the average crit chance has doubled since season 7
I already hoover around 20% on average according to ACT, over an entire STF or match.

-= ISE: 12:19 -=- CSE 12:41 -=- KASE 11:59 -=- HSe 8:06 total =-
-= KAGE 5:43 =-
[7:07] [Combat (Self)] Your Dual Disruptor Banks - Overload II deals 123086 (41096) Disruptor Damage(Critical) to Assimilated Carrier.
Captain
# 12
01-16-2013, 11:40 AM
My understanding of how combat works.

- Roll to hit, simple Accuracy vs Defense roll with 25% minimum chance to hit. If extra Accuracy is there it rolls over into the crit part.

- Roll to crit

- Roll raw damage

- Apply damage to shield with resist

- Apply damage to hull with resist
Captain
# 13
01-16-2013, 11:44 AM
I guess it'll depend on if the romulan embassy boffs are bound like the featured episode reward ones or not. If they are, then there's a bit of artificial balance at least when it comes to non-tacs using them, since those players will never be able to train them in the more desirable tactical skills.

While the same could be said of tacticals and science/engineering skills, honestly you can get all the skills you need for that just from existing boffs and the default trainers.

About the only build which *might* take a hit there is the tac/sciship partigen build, but that's not really a crit heavy one to begin with.

Of course if they can be traded from person to person this point is entirely invalid, but eh.
Captain
# 14
01-16-2013, 05:49 PM
Toss in according to the latest Trib notes that Leadership's working for BOFFs now... it pretty much becomes a case of tada, these are the five BOFFs you need, eh?

Which basically makes it a case of - buy more BOFF slots...if there are other BOFFs you've collected or use on Ground...
Vice Admiral Geist, Klingon Science Officer
V.S.S. Oracle, D'Kyr-class Science Vessel
Captain
# 15
01-16-2013, 06:06 PM
Another concern is how things like EWP/GWs/TBRs would be w/high crit% increase (assuming those are effected by all the +crits) and placate passive.
Captain
# 16
01-16-2013, 06:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thissler View Post
You can see where that's sorta important to know as it has a huge effect on things of this nature.

I would bet yes, it is a roll to to hit or miss. Then it would be rolls to determine all the other things that a hit could do. Roll for crit? Check. Roll for all incoming procs? Check, check, check. Roll for all outgoing procs? Check, check. Data generated, start crunching the numbers and applying the output.

Maybe that makes it easier to see how HUGE defense is vs resistance. You make your defense roll you NEVER even have to go through all the other stuff. It just doesn't happen. If you Lose you defense roll, or even worse, Lose you defense, you can just skip to the critical damage bit. That's where you'll be.
Any idea what if any role defense plays in Sci/Eng boff abilities plays in critH? For example, w/a near zero target is EWP more likely or the same likelyhood to Crit compared to a target w/a higher defense rating?
Career Officer
# 17
01-16-2013, 07:41 PM
Well it seems like they don't actually roll for a hit, so there would be no acc overflow. So whatever your inherent crit h is it is. I mean I've never seen a tractor beam miss. But its been reported that a placate will break the TB, but that's not a miss per se. TB's pulse. EWP ticks. So at each event the computer has to decide if it takes affect or not. Just never seen a miss. Just the placate bit.

So there you go. I'm unsure of the mechanic they use. My guess is that they gain no benefit as they never actually seem to go through the 'to hit' roll part of the process that overflow comes from.
If I don't respond to posts on this forum don't be offended. I don't sub or follow any of them.
Captain
# 18
01-16-2013, 08:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thissler View Post
Well it seems like they don't actually roll for a hit, so there would be no acc overflow. So whatever your inherent crit h is it is. I mean I've never seen a tractor beam miss. But its been reported that a placate will break the TB, but that's not a miss per se. TB's pulse. EWP ticks. So at each event the computer has to decide if it takes affect or not. Just never seen a miss. Just the placate bit.

So there you go. I'm unsure of the mechanic they use. My guess is that they gain no benefit as they never actually seem to go through the 'to hit' roll part of the process that overflow comes from.
Yeah, the question comes more out of anecdotal observation of using PSW on someone after applying a TB and having it "feel" like it crits more often than w/o having a TB applied. I've done no tests though.