Captain
# 1 Star Trek: Federation
01-16-2013, 07:40 PM
http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_Federation

Anyone else think this would have been a pretty boss series? I'm not too sure about the Kirk name, but I liked the idea of the year 3000 and examining the rise and fall of societies. And Bryan Singer has produced more good than bad in my opinion.

Mind you it may have turned out to be another "TNG lite" but it could also have been awesome.
# 2
01-16-2013, 07:49 PM
Fascinating.

Not sure I'd like to see the Federation fall to such lows, but it would certainly be an interesting story arch.

According to Voyager and Enterprise, the 3000s were an age of time travel and temporal conflicts. I wonder how they would have reconciled that.
Please fix the Foundry lag!
Captain
# 3
01-16-2013, 07:55 PM
So let me get this strait... we have an idealistic intergalactic government torn from corruption on the inside, many of the worlds it's made up of want to separate, civil war looming, a mysterious force invading, and a trade based organization taking over everything.

This is basically Star Trek: The Phantom Menace.

No.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Career Officer
# 4
01-16-2013, 08:10 PM
Sounds too similar to the JJverse, which means something like this will undoubtedly be produced if another movie or two in that alt-verse are successful.

To be honest, while I can see the merits in such storytelling, Star Trek for me has always been about a better future where I can go to escape the troublesome present. Even in STO with all its action and warfare there is at least an undercurrent of cooperation and hope. This is something I didn't like about JJ Abram's vision of it. I don't want my Trek to be dark and gritty. I want it to be light, hopeful, and to challenging to the here and now in ways that aren't Batman: The Dark Knight trilogy. Distopiai are way to in right now. Utopiai can be just as provocative as many Trek series have shown. There is a place for both, but I think Trek is strongest when it fits into the latter. There is a reason Star Trek has inspired so many scientists and philosophers in ways Battlestar Galactica and similar "dark" shows simply do not do, even despite having intentional philosophic undercurrents.

Maybe they can write a series of non-canon novels instead, or even graphic novels. But I probably wouldn't watch such a series if it were Trek-branded. Now, if it were a different new franchise exploring such themes, I could probably get really into it.

My vision for a new Trek series set in the Prime reality would involve looking at Trek from the perspective of another species. Maybe a show predominately about Romulans, or Klingons, or even a lesser known species. DS9 with the Bajorans and Cardassians showed this can be quite compelling while giving ample room to explore themes a TNG-like Fed-centered show avoided intentionally.

Last edited by admiralah1; 01-16-2013 at 08:18 PM.
Captain
# 5
01-16-2013, 08:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
So let me get this strait... we have an idealistic intergalactic government torn from corruption on the inside, many of the worlds it's made up of want to separate, civil war looming, a mysterious force invading, and a trade based organization taking over everything.

This is basically Star Trek: The Phantom Menace.

No.
Sure. Bring up the crap franchise why don't you?

If they played it close to Roman history like the premise, it could have been a pretty deep series that made DS9s intrigues look like... Well, STO's "Ehn. I'm too tired to wrap it up."

The thing requiring a Kirk in command of an Enterprise makes me think it might have some sort of "destiny" crap that made Sisko's storyline the least compelling part of DS9... And thus it would have probably been closer to that... "movie" you mentioned.

In my dreams, it would have been SF Game of Thrones.
# 6
01-16-2013, 08:18 PM
Maybe not Game of Thrones.

But someone leading good people out of the dark? That might be epic.

LoTR?
# 7
01-16-2013, 08:22 PM
Been so many times its not even funny anymore.

I like the Federation as it is, there are some unique challenges instead of going the same BS we see.
Captain
# 8
01-16-2013, 08:40 PM
The Ferengi become the dominant power of the galaxy? Sorry, but that reason alone makes me highly doubt this series. Also considering the various time travellers with mixed heritage shows that the Federation is anything, but a human-centric organization.

Two Star Trek series I want to see is one about Section 31 and one about Department of Temporal Investigations. Wouldn't mind a series in 2470 or beyond.
Captain
# 9
01-16-2013, 08:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starkaos View Post
The Ferengi become the dominant power of the galaxy? Sorry, but that reason alone makes me highly doubt this series.
Is *is* a bit too much like the real world, isn't it?
# 10
01-16-2013, 09:05 PM
If Star Trek was based on Capitalism, then I could see the Ferengi becoming the dominant power, but too much idealism in Star Trek for Capitalism to be a major part of Star Trek.