Ensign
I've been a fan of Star Trek since the late 80's when my older brother got me hooked on TNG. Since then I've watched all of the series in full, yes even the animated and have enjoyed them all. However, one thing about the Trek movies and shows that I've always found lacking, is any sort of insight in to what else is going on out in the universe. What's happening on Earth? What are the politics of the core Federation worlds, what's happening with newly accepted races and their integration in to the Federation? What's happening on other ships and with other "heroes" of the Federation? What's life like on a Klingon or Romulan ship? How would they handle some of the same or similar situations differently than the Federation? Etc, etc.

So I've had this idea in my head for a while now and I'm curious what others think about this. How about a Trek show that doesn't focus on the same crew every week? How about a "Tales of the Trek" show, in which every week it's a different story? A different crew, a different ship, a different world? One week could follow an Ambassador and his struggle to find compromise between two species. Another week could follow a Klingon ship and crew and their encounter with The Borg or a Crystalline Entity. The next week could be a Romulan politician plotting the assassination of a competing Senator or Governor so that he may usurp his role. Another week could follow a Federation medical ship and its mission of aid to an ailing world.

The possibilities are literally endless and I really feel that it would be a great way to both expand and fill in an already immense franchise. Think of the new and varying heroes and villains that could be introduced. Think of the interesting takes that could be done in showing how the Romulans or Klingons or Cardassians would deal with issues and events in a different way than the Federation. This would also be a great way to introduce characters, ships and events from the books on to the screen.

Now that's not to say that some episodes wouldn't have repeat appearances of characters and locales, just that not every week would be following the same crew. You could easily introduce reoccurring characters, ships, worlds and events. You could even do episodes on the same event, but from the perspective of different crews or species. If fans take a liking to a particular character or set of characters you could easily write more episodes that feature them, but still keep things fresh by continuing to introduce different characters and settings each week.

I just wonder what other Trek fans think about this idea? Is this something you?d be for or against?

Last edited by xmagnusonx; 01-16-2013 at 10:15 PM.
Career Officer
# 2
01-16-2013, 10:22 PM
That sounds interesting in theory but I have my doubts about it working in practice. Pretty much every Trek series and really any TV series took a couple of seasons to find its groove and really take off. I'm not sure a scripted show without a weekly returning cast could ever really find its place before being cancelled. Just my two strips of GPL.

Porthos is not amused.
Captain
# 3
01-16-2013, 11:47 PM
Unfortunately, the general public cares little for anthologies.

I would like to see some more non Starfleet perspectives in whatever future show they make. This is where Voyage failed the worst, I feel. By the end of the first season the Maqis, Kes, and Neelix were just like they had been in Starfleet all their lives.

DS9 mostly succeeded in this but by the end even Quark was in love with them.
# 4
01-17-2013, 06:01 AM
This is a great idea. They should do this!
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-17-2013, 07:44 AM
Personally, I find it a great idea. And I'd absolutely LOVE to watch a show like that. But there a two problems: One, like mentioned above. Every Trek show (Or any other show for that matter) took a few seasons to take off. People would lose interest if it would just jump from Starfleet, to Klingon, to Romulan, to Cardassian and then back to Starfleet. Secondly, there is the matter of finances. To have so many different "Points of view" in one show, would take an immense number of actors. Sure, they could re-use some actors from previous shows like they've always done. But it would still be too expensive for them, just to make something only a handful of people would actually take an interest in. Not everyone is a hardcore Trekkie that watches/reads everything Star Trek related like some of us.
Captain
# 6
01-17-2013, 08:13 AM
Like a previous posters said, great in theory, terrible in practicality.

Shows with such a rotating cast, not just a trek show, simply can't hold an audience. Half of what people love about a show, especially a trek show is the characters, if they don't stick around you have little invested in the show and so I don't see you continuing to watch a show like this when there are other shows who's characters you are more invested in.
Survivor of Remus
# 7
01-17-2013, 09:01 AM
I like the idea.

I also think that making it an animated show would address the issues of budgeting and that first-season awkwardness. Voice acting is much less demanding in terms of character-building than stage or film acting and having the show be animated would mean being able show some aliens that are more than just humans with funny foreheads.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-17-2013, 11:28 AM
Captain
# 9
01-17-2013, 11:59 AM
As above, absolutely fantastic idea, but unlikely to get studio go ahead, as it's too niche... Would be absolutely awesome though
Commander
# 10
01-17-2013, 02:51 PM
This is an interesting idea (one I have supported in the past).

Main problem is, like The Outer Limits or Twilight Zone, you would have to generally have really good writers, ones who could get a bunch of characters down really quick. We could stick with Trek, even after the bad first couple of seasons of TNG (which were almost pure crap), because there was already an emotional investment, brought over from the TOS movies. There would be no room for that here, as it's been way too long from the time that Trek has been good, and it would be too different from nuTrek.

By the way, TOS didn't have the first season(s) grace period. Some of its best stuff is from the first season. Of course, it also got canceled twice