Lt. Commander
# 1 FED or KDF , why?
01-17-2013, 04:45 AM
When I first came into the game I knew immediately what I want to be in the game, a Federation officer.
My friends who have been in the game longer than me was on Klingon Empire side , they offered me help to level up and in-game equipment but I refused for one reason ... I do not like KDF faction.

Why did i pick up FED over KDF is easy...I watch every single ST show and movie that came out and from that time i wanted to became starfleet captain , to present federation in PvE and PvP combat.

Why i didnt chose KDF is easy again...lots of people would say lack of content but that isnt it because if you love something you will play it regardless of content that this faction have.
I didnt chose them because of false honor , i do not see honor in enslaving weak and small , killing helpless and attacking peacefull races/aliances.
One of last klingons that know what true honor is was Worf , damn i love that guy.

This is my story why i did chose FED over KDF in STO , and why i still play with my fed captain character over 1 year .

I would like to know why did you chose FED or KDF side in STO..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Career Officer
# 2
01-17-2013, 06:37 AM
When I started playing, I didn't have the option to start as a Klingon (unlock at level 20 / 25 whatever it is). I obviously then started with a Federation character (an Andorian to be precise). Since my joining (a year today if F2P went live a year ago today) I have had several FED characters, and several KDF characters.

I prefer playing as a FED character, and the reasons are quite simple; there is more for them to do, and there is more of a variety. I've currently got four toons; two of them are old (one FED, one KDF) and the other two are a week old (again, one of each). There is enough variety between my FED toons (missions, ships and clothes) that I can make use of them. My secondary KDF toon is lacking though. With limited clothing selection and not much to do, I find myself always going back to my FED toons. I hardly play my primary KDF toon either (I get the datachip and dilithium daily, but then jump back).

It's a shame, cause I'd like to play more KDF but I just can't get into it. For me, ships aren't a problem, it's the clothes and hair that puts me off playing; it's far too limited. Thus, until more variants are added (in addition to other KDF-playable races) I'll be primarily on my FED accounts.
Captain
# 3
01-17-2013, 07:08 AM
I like them both, but visuals and large ship selections tend to favor the federation side mainly because i think more people like playing that particular faction, but this is just my opinion.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-17-2013, 07:15 AM
I play FED because I play my character as myself...just in the Star Trek setting.
# 5
01-17-2013, 07:42 AM
I play both. I think i actually enjoy KDF more atm because they dont realy have a massive uniform code. And the fed players usually dont look anything like Federation captains. It annoys me deeply, especially with all those episodes about pride in the uniform, what it stands for. And now they just throw it out the window and you have people running around in frikkin whatever....

That said, i do like my Fed toon alot aswell. As long as i dont look to much at other players.
Commander
# 6
01-17-2013, 07:47 AM
I have both Fed and KDF characters, but I tend to play one of my Feds more than anything else. Why? Because she flies a variation of my favourite ship out of any Trek series - the Defiant.
Empire Veteran
# 7
01-17-2013, 08:03 AM
I am a fan of the Klingons. Such a shame the KDF is poorly done in STO as to offer little story missions that ties them into the game.
Richard Hamilton (1975-2014)
goodbye good friend. We will see you in the DMZ in the sky oneday, save a shot for us.
Empire Veteran
# 8
01-17-2013, 08:09 AM
I wanted to play a Starfleet officer at the begining. It's still my main char and i enjoy it. But a few hours after installing the game, I knew it looked like star trek, I knew it reminded me star trek but it wasn't star trek.

Whatever your faction is, you'll end up blowing up ships, exterminating new life, and nuking new civilizations, and the KDF toys are designed for that. Consequently, i also have a KDF main char and i enjoy playing everyone.

Last edited by diogene0; 01-17-2013 at 08:12 AM.
Captain
# 9
01-17-2013, 08:46 AM
I like KDF more because they are more honest in their politics and you have more freedom to just do your thing. You aren't part of a highly structured, bureaucratic military institution, and your background can be just about anything.

The Federation is a commie hippie-spouting lotus-eating bunch of duplicitous passion-haters, benevolently permitting religion and traditions so long as they are kept in a small colorful box. They are the ultimate iconified 'dam librul' writ large, while at the same time you never really see, you know, anyone who is gay or lesbian.
In other words, WASP middle-aged liberalism.

Feh.

KDF eats the red meat.

I like Fed more because Cryptic likes Fed more, so they get all the toys and content. And sometimes it gets tiring being in the pit. It's nice having more Foundry content, more story content, stories written in your voice (rather than Fed content scribbled over with red marker), having fleets that have half a chance of seeing later tiers, of having issues dealt with, etc.

I like the ability to wear a diverse range of clothes, even if they make more sense on KDF (who don't get them) than a Starfleet captain.

Really, if it were up to me, I'd thumb my nose at both and play a mercenary freelancer. But that's not an option.
Captain
# 10
01-17-2013, 09:11 AM
I primarily play Fed because I've never really fantasized about being a Klingon.

I also play KDF on occasion because I do sometimes fantasize about being a Pirate (because Pirates are cool), and since the KDF includes Orions and Nausicaans there is room for that sort of character there.

Ironically, I'm slightly more comfortable with my KDF toon than my Fed one, because I never wanted to play the kind of characters who would ever make Admiral; while 'Brigadier General' sounds like the sort of flashy title that a Pirate might gleefully adopt.
Exploration suggestions thread - give it a read

BTW, you'd pronounce it 'Cap'n Manks'

I protest the removal of exploration clusters