Career Officer
# 61
01-16-2013, 10:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by topset View Post
Give the man a taco. This is the ONLY reason it bombed and got cancelled.

Give it a good orchestral theme song and I think it manages a full run of 7 series.
I always thought that the theme used with the end credits, should have been the one used with the opening credits.
...... DaveyNY ...STO Forum Member since February - 2009
..............Star Trek Fan since Thursday Sept. 8th, 1966
There are No Longer any STO Veterans... We're Just People who have Played the Game for the last 4 years.
I Really Do Miss the little TOP Button at the bottom of the threads.
Lieutenant
# 62
01-16-2013, 10:46 PM
UPN channel 50 in Chicago went bankurupt

The ratings bottomed out scyfi pick it up but no one watched it so its in paramounts lockup

This has happend with other shows.

B5 was a hit on UPN when it bought buy TNT they wanted to go with more of a drama show so the time slot was cancelled and they haven't sold it off to any other networks.

Samething happend with Voyager rating were down because it was on Friday so season 7 got cut short and they found there way home

One of the biggest issues with Enterprise is the seasion ending was written up so it made the whole show seem like Rikers Holodeck mid life crisis.
Captain
# 63
01-17-2013, 09:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by z69evermoon View Post
One of the biggest issues with Enterprise is the seasion ending was written up so it made the whole show seem like Rikers Holodeck mid life crisis.
The intended implication was clearly that he was viewing a historical holoprogram in the last episode. I'm not sure why so many people think it means the whole series was fictitious (in-universe, of course).

The reason Enterprise died was pretty simple. After 14 years of continuous Trek, people needed a break from the franchise. When Enterprise's first season didn't impress them, they decided to leave.

If Enterprise had come out a few years later than it did, people probably would have given it the same chance they gave TNG, DS9, and VOY when each respective series had less-than-impressive first seasons.
Please fix the Foundry lag!
Survivor of Romulus
# 64
01-17-2013, 09:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycoticvulcan View Post
The intended implication was clearly that he was viewing a historical holoprogram in the last episode. I'm not sure why so many people think it means the whole series was fictitious (in-universe, of course).
Well its like the ending of Newhart, right? Whole thing was a crazy dream.

Does make you think though. I don't think the intention was that the whole thing was a series of historical holodeck programs being viewed 200 years down the road. But if it was, how accurate were they? Maybe they were put together by a complete hack of a historian.
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
"I would rather take a chance on getting a change made to the game through positive engagement than know for sure that I got a change made by complaining" -drogyn1701, May 14, 2014.
Starfleet Veteran
# 65
01-17-2013, 11:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drogyn1701 View Post
Maybe they were put together by a complete hack of a historian.
Probably by a 30th century Revisionist-History-Time-Travelling-Space-Nazi historian.

Those guys are shifty.
Captain
# 66
01-17-2013, 07:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeitis View Post
Really? So many people dislike the ENTERPRISE theme song, of any of them?

I've been into Star Trek since the early '90s, and it instantly became my favorite opening. I can't see a better-fitting song other than that "Space, the final frontier" one voiced over by Scott Bakula. Actually, they're equally good, IMO.

Then again, I'm the insane type that enjoys both J-pop and country music somehow. But meh.

Star Trek: Enterprise was a great addition to Star Trek.
To this person I say yes! Otaku and lover of Country! ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobayashlmaru View Post
This might be exaggerating a bit. It may be true before the start of conscription during the war, but there are enough counter examples in our timeline to refute that as the absolute rule. It's been a long time since I've seen this episode, but I recall the actors dropping hints that their inclusion in the SS wasn't exactly comfortable to everyone, but they were winning the war with their help so no one complained.

Plus, it's very plausible if someone alien came to with technology to conquer the world, you would be willing to bend the rules a little.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boglejam73 View Post
Sorry, time travelling space Nazis will never work for me, no matter how you can rationalize it. Some things just push the suspension of disbelief barrier too far, and this is a good example.

And the Ent theme music really, really sucked.
And you obviously never watched an episode of Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann or Vandread or even watched/read any of Asobi ni Iku yo! (Which gets love for countless shout outs...including to Star Trek).

Shameless Question: Which reminds me...I am close to getting my next ship and going to go with an LRSV...anyone want to design a patch with This gal in the middle and the designation and name of the ship (U.S.S. Eris).
Captain
# 67
01-17-2013, 08:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by raventomoe View Post
And you obviously never watched an episode of Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann or Vandread or even watched/read any of Asobi ni Iku yo! (Which gets love for countless shout outs...including to Star Trek).
The willing suspension of disbelief is a very tricky animal indeed, my well versed anime friend. Not many have seen Vandread let alone heard of it, so props to you for that.

But the thing you must understand is what's believeable in one series, doesn't make it believable in another. Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann does have planet sized robots, but it built up to them by showing us that world, and establishing it's technology and what it's (in)capable of.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann may be an absolutely insane series, but it still has it's own internal logic and sets of rules that the universe follows. A walking aircraft-carrier-land-battleship is established to be a possible thing in the world of Gurren Lagann.

But in Star Trek it would seem rather.... out of place. It follows different narrative structure, and the universe follows different laws and physics.

So in other words, I can believe in anything as long as the story gives me a reason too.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Career Officer
# 68
01-17-2013, 09:12 PM
So there can be Space Alien Nazi's in TOS, but Enterprise doesn't cut it?

...... DaveyNY ...STO Forum Member since February - 2009
..............Star Trek Fan since Thursday Sept. 8th, 1966
There are No Longer any STO Veterans... We're Just People who have Played the Game for the last 4 years.
I Really Do Miss the little TOP Button at the bottom of the threads.

Last edited by daveyny; 01-17-2013 at 09:14 PM.
Empire Veteran
# 69
01-17-2013, 09:33 PM
I enjoyed Enterprise for the most part. I hated what they did with Archer. The temporal arc wasn't good. I'd rather re-watch Enterprise than TOS.
Captain
# 70
01-17-2013, 09:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyny View Post
So there can be Space Alien Nazi's in TOS, but Enterprise doesn't cut it?

1. TOS had an abysmal budget.

2. CGI didn't exist back then.

3. Makeup technology sucked back then too.

4. WWII was still fairly recent, and something everyone identified with.

5. TOS did it first.

So no. It don't cut it.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.