Lt. Commander
# 1 Revamp fed carrier/cruisers.
01-17-2013, 06:44 AM
One thing I find odd about this game; cruisers cannot use shuttle craft but carriers can. Why not revamp all fed cruisers (ones with a shuttle bay) to use shuttles? Also add bombers or heavy attack craft for the carriers. I just find it silly that shuttles can't be used from ships with shuttle bays.
Captain
# 2
01-17-2013, 07:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by issueman1 View Post
One thing I find odd about this game; cruisers cannot use shuttle craft but carriers can. Why not revamp all fed cruisers (ones with a shuttle bay) to use shuttles? Also add bombers or heavy attack craft for the carriers. I just find it silly that shuttles can't be used from ships with shuttle bays.
While we're at it, why not change it so carriers actually launch a realistic number of strike craft. Akiras should be launching 40+ ships, carriers 60-80+ (or more).

Or....

We can realize that reality and game balance are two completely different things.
Career Officer
# 3
01-17-2013, 07:45 AM
Ask yourself, what is more prefferable? Having 40 fighters out at a time, like it should be... and then having them all wiped out because of terrible AI and warp core breaches within 2 minutes? Or having a small number as support throughout the whole mission?

It is the way it is because of game balance and major limitations in AI programming
Captain
# 4
01-17-2013, 08:03 AM
Eh i can agree that cruisers should have the use of shuttle bays with only 1 bay launching 1-3 small light craft, as for carriers they should all have 2 or more bays with open use to all hanger craft and able to launch a min of 5 craft per hanger.
Career Officer
# 5
01-17-2013, 09:12 AM
Just add more fighter consumable devices. That's easy, and it gives other ships this capability without radically shifting their balance.
Empire Veteran
# 6
01-17-2013, 09:16 AM
I would love to be able to luanch KDF fighters from my battle cruisers for free.

It would be more spam to clutter things up, but fun to see. Maybe not to fight though and many players would be lagged to death as well.
Richard Hamilton (1975-2014)
goodbye good friend. We will see you in the DMZ in the sky oneday, save a shot for us.
Super Moderator
# 7
01-17-2013, 09:17 AM
No, I don't think so. It further undermines the role of a true carrier.

I would, however, love to see a kind of shuttle "combat pet" where you can launch one shuttle at a time to assist, lasts until the end of combat or until destroyed, and once dismissed or destroyed is on a cooldown.

To put icing on the cake, it would be very cool if you could assign a shuttle pilot similar to a BO that uses shuttle-specific abilities, or even a normal BO as if it were a universal Ensign slot.

That would be less of a problem than giving cruisers true carrier capabilities, would extend to other kinds of ships as well, and would be fully in line with canon.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-17-2013, 10:27 AM
I think the Odyssey should be able to launch fighters. The thing is bigger than any other Starfleet vessel. Much larger than the Vesta and the Vesta can act as a carrier. And don't start in on the "it's not the biggest" crud. It's the biggest STARFLEET ship in service. the Atrox is Catian which makes it Federation, not Starfleet.
Empire Veteran
# 9
01-17-2013, 11:00 AM
I say nay to this one. Cruisers CAN use shuttles. It's called Boarding Party.

Too many carriers and half-carriers in the game, to me, that power is enough.

Commander
# 10
01-17-2013, 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimey2 View Post
I say nay to this one. Cruisers CAN use shuttles. It's called Boarding Party.

Too many carriers and half-carriers in the game, to me, that power is enough.
Bingo, with the BO power you can in fact launch shuttles from a Fed cruiser.

The difference between a Carrier and Fed Cruiser or Battle Cruisers isn't having access to small craft, its having built in ability to use it combat wise.

A Carrier has hangar bays, a Cruiser has shuttle bays. What do I mean by that? Hangar bays have way more crafts and possibly an area inside them that acts as control centre originizing and controlling the launched crafts and keeping them working with each other.

Hangar Bays I figure are much larger then shuttle bays with more specialized equiptment.

Take Consumable Fighters for example, they work differently on carriers and none carriers. Why? Because of the Hangar Bays act like mission control sort of coordinating the fighters. So Carriers and Hybred Carriers are equipt with specialized equiptment the allows them to give carrier commands. Shuttle Bays aren't.

Its why cosumable fighters AI are dumber on a cruiser then a carrier.

And any ship is capable of launching playable shuttles.