Rihannsu
I have a Sci Captain that I'm preparing to put into a Wells Ship. I want to use it for PvE Funsie Play and STFs (I don't PvP). I want to use Gravity Well and Tachyon's Rift (Or possibly two GWs), and Tractor Beam and Tractor Beam Repulsors.

So my question:

Which skill should I be stacking with my Science Consoles: Graviton Generators or Particle Generators? (Or something else entirely?) It's my understanding, and please correct me if I'm wrong, that Graviton affects the "pull/push" of the power, and Particle affects how much DoT they cause. Is this right?

I'm kind of leaning towards Graviton, so that whatever I hook, stays stuck and therefore takes the most damage from the power's center of effect, and/or from weapon fire (myself and team, due to them not moving/having lower Defense).

Of course my Captain will be fully skilled in both, I'm just looking for what to stack in my Sci consoles. Or do I put half and half? Maybe there's enough "suction" provided by my Captain's skill in Graviton Generators alone to hold STF critters in place, and I want to boost the damage directly?

Please advise. (And thanks in advance.)

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Original Join Date: Feb 2010.
Need Help with Ship's Power? Check out my Ship Power Guide and Calculator.
Captain
# 2
01-17-2013, 04:58 PM
Well, if you want the numbers, there's this: http://home.comcast.net/~amicus/Skil...%20Effects.htm

The percentage per skill level should give you everything there is to find out numerically.

If you want to know what it's going to feel like in game, or how the numbers actually translate into performance, that's trickier, and it's been changing. Remember, the -repel effect got changed to a pulse every few seconds a few months back, which means they aren't necessarily held in no matter what you do. That said, at 125 Aux with max Grav Gen skill, no consoles except the Borg one, and the MACO Mk XII deflector I certainly see spheres pulled in pretty well when the pulse comes, and feel like I always used to see the same when I was running at 90 (before I had the Vesta). So I run Particle Generators consoles, but it's very very soft data.

EDIT: Of course, the nice thing about sci is since no one wants to do it the consoles come cheap, so you could get a set of XI blues of each type for testing for about 10k per console

Last edited by jadensecura; 01-17-2013 at 05:10 PM.
Captain
# 3
01-17-2013, 06:14 PM
I would personally go with Particle. Most PvE opponents are barely able to get out of gravity wells, so as long as you keep high aux power, you should be fine.
Take it easy!

Ishmael@scurry5: A Nibbling Sci
"Squeak?"
Career Officer
# 4
01-18-2013, 12:29 AM
Personally I run a mix of consoles, but I like having some Graviton Generators, since I prefer to know nothing will escape even if they pop an EPtE.
And keeping them nice and centered through the stronger pull allows us to do more AoE damage from other sources as well.

Vornek@oberlerchner123 - Join Date: July 2008
Captain
# 5
01-18-2013, 11:06 AM
Particle Generators. Graviton Generators just make your holds work a little better, but not that much diffrent, whereas stacking Particle Generators can seriously increase the damage of a lot of sci powers. The only Graviton Generator worth ever carrying is the Borg Assimilated Module. Other than that console, Particle Generators = Science Moar Dakka.
Rihannsu
# 6
01-18-2013, 03:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reginamala78 View Post
...Particle Generators = Science Moar Dakka.
And we all know how much we love MOAR DAKKA!!!

lol

Thanks for the info folks. I think I'm going to go Particle Gens (Nice Mk XI -Th +Pla once from our Embassy, too. Woot!).

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Original Join Date: Feb 2010.
Need Help with Ship's Power? Check out my Ship Power Guide and Calculator.