Captain
# 21
01-17-2013, 10:36 AM
Remember, squeaky wheel.

Just because some KDF fans sound like outrageously insane prats doesn't mean all of them are (likewise Fed fans).
Starfleet Veteran
# 22
01-17-2013, 10:39 AM
KDF, I only think about my Fed toons afterwards, and even then I mostly play as a Ferengi.

It wasn't long after I started playing that I got real tired of the Fed three step process:
1. Conquer
2. Sanitize
3. Homogenize

And this was back in the days when you could only level up by hitting PvP and the explore X sector three times for almost no points. There were restrictions on missions, restrictions on ships, and restrictions on sectors.

...come think about it, not much has changed in the last 3 years.
Commander
# 23
01-17-2013, 12:00 PM
KDF, because I love Orion Slave Girls and I love the Orion Ships. I do wish that the game treated the Orions and other KDF species as more then shades of Klingon, and I wish they had a bridge for the Orion Ships, the interior doesn't fit the FDCs at all. The interior of an Orion FDC should look like a Pleasure Palace, not the cold, hard, and overly red glare of a Klingon Bridge. And there is three Orion FDCs, 5 if you count the Corsair Retrofit and Fleet Corsair. One Orion Bridge could work for them all.

I do agree the by my rl values the Klingon Species is one of discusting hypocrits (not talking players, but in universe fluff).

They murder, steal, Conquer, eat still living creatures, talk about honor, but never exhibit it, instead using the idea to justify thier pride and barbarity.

I prefer to see it as I play the Orion Subfaction, that's allied with the Klingons.

Susher my KDF Character isn't obsessed with honour, although when dealing with Klingons he's not above keeping up appearences, especially with a suppior officer, he doesn't believe in any Klingon Religions.

He's more interested in saving his race from extinction and raising it back to glory, raiding enemy ships to add new slaves to the ship's Brothel, and he worships the Beings (ancient earth Gods like Apollo that Kirk met) because he knows they exist, abit he sees them more in Orion form then human, although he's studied them from the cultures of multiple species. He's from a male minority that has developed more powerful pheromones like many females.

My bridge officers are all Orion Slave girls, except my Giant Gorn enforcer, and an alien Slave Girl.
Career Officer
# 24
01-17-2013, 12:04 PM
I play mostly Fed, but Klingon gameplay feels a lot more like Star Trek.

I mean, in this game, federation officers are going onto Romulan space stations and murdering everyone in site, destroying thousands of ships from dozens of races, et cetera. That does not feel like Star Trek.

On the other hand, sneaking up behind an unsuspecting Federation ship in Ker'rat and unloading disruptors and photon torpedoes does feel like Star Trek.
Captain
# 25
01-17-2013, 12:18 PM
I am more comfortable with the Fed side because I found that while the Foundry might be an exception with certain missions, the KDF missions did not allow me to play as the type of warrior I wanted to play my character as.

On the KDF side I play a Nausicaan who, contrary to stereotypes, was intended to be something of a knight or samurai (the idealized version of both, anyway), who cares quite a lot about honor and is disgusted by the political infighting among both the Klingons, and the clans of his own people, not to mention some of the really disgusting things they think it's OK to do or that they choose to ignore. In some ways Krantak resembles the version of General Chang that you see in the Klingon Academy game: philosophical, restrained (i.e. not being the kind of idiot who thinks getting beaten in dom-jot is a reason to kill someone, or firing at everything that moves when it is not the smartest idea to do so), but still formidable in combat. Nor does one get to wear revealing clothing on his ship or while representing his crew: if you're too vain to wear clothing suited for the rigors of combat and shipboard dangers, then you're not smart enough or worthy enough to fight alongside him.

I ran into a problem with that almost right away when I played through the Fed war series and my character was boxed into a position where he HAD to torture a Federation captain. No option for an duel to win the right to the information or at least give the man an honorable death on his feet with a weapon in his hand. And then there are the DOFF assignments. Frankly, KDF or not, he would NOT do a lot of that stuff because it does not conform with the strict rules by which he sees honor. That was when I decided that, for the most part, my KDF toon is pretty much going to have to be for dilithium farming unless there are Foundry missions that allow me to play Krantak as Krantak and not as a stereotypical Klingon or Nausicaan. I cannot get into character and immerse myself in the game as I can with my Feds.

On the Fed side...believe me, I understand what Zahinder is saying about Fed hypocrisy, and I had a lot of fun taking shots at that aspect of the Feds in "Finding Lascaux." That said, I do also like that in STO the Federation has militarized in a way we never saw on the show...and that the Dominion War showed it needed to lest it continue to recklessly throw away the lives of its people in the name of maintaining some image of being peaceful. I am still able to better immerse myself into the characters of my officers. They have some unusual biographies (a Cardassian exchange officer, a Caitian, and a Devidian raised by humans who must present himself as human), which allow them to have "offbeat" perspectives of Starfleet and the Federation, but I feel like I do have room to let them be them (especially in the Foundry) and not get boxed into unconscionable things.

Well...most of the time. "Divide et Impera" really hacked me off, about as bad as the KDF torture mission, but fortunately that was a rare exception on the Fed side, rather than having fully two thirds of the DOFF assignments and who knows how many of the episodes being unconscionable.
-----------
Do you like story-based Foundry missions? If so, please check out my mission, "Finding Lascaux."

Lieutenant
# 27
01-17-2013, 04:19 PM
If I had to restart and could only pick one character, Fed.

Why? Because this game decides to blend them all together anyway. KDF had Honor Guard, yay torp damage. Now Fed gets the same thing. KDF get carriers. Jk lol +Atrox/Armitage/Vesta.

Why play on the side with way less players when they are basically the same? That's just my thoughts. I do wish they would make some faction based STF missions or something. Give people more of a reason to be one or the other. I think I've been on the KDF side more lately though, mostly due to nothing else to do.
Empire Veteran
# 28
01-17-2013, 04:31 PM
Prat? Hardly. Im a sometimes bitter KDF elitist but thats what works for me.
One should play what one enjoys.
Now if they would just flesh out the KDF to make it enjoyable past a few days....
STO is very much an Adam One culture and completely inarticulate about Adam Two.
Captain
# 29
01-17-2013, 05:13 PM
Both. ............
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivenneanthony View Post
Get your facts straight about Star Trek. It was not a money making scheme. It was one person vision / idea.

CBS turned it into a making making scheme during the original movies.
-vivenneanthony 2014
Captain
# 30
01-17-2013, 07:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitemepwe View Post
Prat? Hardly. Im a sometimes bitter KDF elitist but thats what works for me.
One should play what one enjoys.
Now if they would just flesh out the KDF to make it enjoyable past a few days....
Wasn't talking about you.