Commander
# 11
01-17-2013, 10:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by twg042370 View Post
If in S8 the Foundry interface included mission type: Comedy. Space combat. Ground combat. Role play. Sad attempts to create new exploit missions where you shoot at helpless ships for twenty minutes..

It would help players find what they like and avoid sad attempts at exploit missions that push all of the interesting material far down the list.
Agreed. This would be a very useful addition to the Foundry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindisbaddesign View Post
Then you'd have to add a category for "Awful fanfic whose author thinks he's better than Ray Bradbury"
I've certainly found of few of those.

I've also found some fantastic story missions written by talented authors.

"Fanfic" is not bad by default. It depends on the skills of each writer. The requested search functions could at least give a little help in weeding through the Foundry database.

It would also be nice if authors could tag their missions with what series/context their mission emphasizes (e.g., TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY, 2409). I have a character that I am only playing through the Foundry (slow going, for sure) that is TOS-themed. It's not always easy to find those missions. The few I've found have been through the boards, not the Foundry search function.
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-17-2013, 10:22 AM
It would also be cool, if you could set which type of XP it should give as bonus (when it is featured, one time only, played with the daily, whatever):

Diplomacy
Science
Exploration
Engineering
Operations
Tactical
Espionage
Recruitment
Development

So you could give out XP distribution that is fitting for the mission. Maybe 50% Diplomacy + 50% Espionage
Career Officer
# 13
01-17-2013, 01:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drogyn1701 View Post
I'd have thought someone with the name "grindisbaddesign" would be more supportive of story missions.
I enjoy a good story, it's the attitude of some Foundry people that needs a good rap on knuckles.
Survivor of Romulus
# 14
01-17-2013, 02:24 PM
Quote:
I enjoy a good story, it's the attitude of some Foundry people that needs a good rap on knuckles.
Most of us have got healthy egos, that's for sure including your truely, but I'd say we probably get plenty of "raps on the knuckles" from mission reviews, lol.

Anyway, we've been pushing Cryptic to make the search engine better for years. I guess there's not much we can do besides keep pushing right?
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
"I would rather take a chance on getting a change made to the game through positive engagement than know for sure that I got a change made by complaining" -drogyn1701, May 14, 2014.

Last edited by drogyn1701; 01-17-2013 at 02:27 PM.
Captain
# 15
01-17-2013, 08:06 PM
Quote:
Then you'd have to add a category for "Awful fanfic whose author thinks he's better than Ray Bradbury"
I was working my way through the Foundry even before the S7 changes made it more enticing. I've found that the writing breaks down like this.

45% Old modules they wrote for the FASA PnP game. They just read that way to me. (Having made a million of them myself back in the day.)

20% Clever ideas that can't be fully realized due to the limitations of the engine and the swarms of bugs that live within.

15% Attempting to fix something they feel Cryptic broke.

10% Fanfic with your captain in the role of Picard.

5% Clones of old Trek episodes. These are different from fanfic because at least fanfic tries to do something new.

5% Brilliance.

None of this is a judgement on quality. All of these have seen their share of good, bad, and ugly.
# 16
01-17-2013, 08:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadnax View Post
It would also be nice if authors could tag their missions with what series/context their mission emphasizes (e.g., TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY, 2409).
I'd be behind that.