Captain
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 543
# 71
01-18-2013, 09:05 AM
True enough on all that but they had The Q (A race of Haruhi Suzumayas if I ever saw one...without the restraining bolts) so I will forgive them the Time Traveling Space Nazis.

Shameless but somewhat relevant as anime was brought up: I recently launched a head canon in my mind involving drop various anime characters into the STO world...Mecha show characters in an Escort, Magical Girls in a Cruiser...and the casts of Rosario+Vampire, Grenadier, Dirty Pair, and Kiddy Grade in a Science Vessel. All the blame goes to Q2.
Survivor of Romulus
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,696
# 72
01-18-2013, 09:51 AM
My only problem with Enterprise's space Nazi episodes was where they put them in the season.

The Xindi arc, which I enjoy, had its climax and we needed a moments rest from that. We needed the episode "Home" to be the season finale. But no what we got was "Our heroes save the day... and then are flung back in time for some reason." Just a completely out of left field WTF moment that was not necessary.

We needed a denouement from the Xindi arc before we started something new but what we got was a shoehorned cliffhanger.
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
"I would rather take a chance on getting a change made to the game through positive engagement than know for sure that I got a change made by complaining" -drogyn1701, May 14, 2014.

Last edited by drogyn1701; 01-18-2013 at 09:54 AM.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,194
# 73
01-18-2013, 10:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drogyn1701 View Post
My only problem with Enterprise's space Nazi episodes was where they put them in the season.

The Xindi arc, which I enjoy, had its climax and we needed a moments rest from that. We needed the episode "Home" to be the season finale. But no what we got was "Our heroes save the day... and then are flung back in time for some reason." Just a completely out of left field WTF moment that was not necessary.

We needed a denouement from the Xindi arc before we started something new but what we got was a shoehorned cliffhanger.
I think the reason they put "Storm Front" there because the series was in serious danger of cancellation. They put the cliffhanger there so that if the series did get cancelled, the people who cancelled it would never hear the end of it from the fans.

But I do agree, I wish it had been situated somewhere else in Season 4.
Please fix the Foundry lag!
Survivor of Romulus
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,696
# 74
01-18-2013, 10:24 AM
I'd say more season 2, since it was Temporal Cold War stuff.

Anyway I imagine you're correct about the behind the scenes stuff. From Memory Alpha:

Quote:
Rumors circulated before the airing of this episode speculating that as many as three endings were shot; however producers have denied these rumors, stating that if the series had been canceled following that season, the show would have ended on a cliffhanger. (citation needed ? edit) (In a special feature on the Season 4 DVD, Connor Trinneer says he believes that the producers deliberately created an ending so ambiguous that, had the series been canceled, the reaction to it ending that way would've been so negative as to make the network execs miserable ? calling it a "wily move" on their part.)
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
"I would rather take a chance on getting a change made to the game through positive engagement than know for sure that I got a change made by complaining" -drogyn1701, May 14, 2014.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 891
# 75
01-18-2013, 10:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by raventomoe View Post
And you obviously never watched an episode of Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann or Vandread or even watched/read any of Asobi ni Iku yo!
You got me there. Never watched them. Or heard of them.
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 12,047
# 76
01-18-2013, 02:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
1. TOS had an abysmal budget.

2. CGI didn't exist back then.

3. Makeup technology sucked back then too.

4. WWII was still fairly recent, and something everyone identified with.

5. TOS did it first.

So no. It don't cut it.
It still strikes me as being hypocritical for people to hate on Ent for not being more than it was. It was fine for TOS to do hokey, stupid plots(half of them), but not Ent?

I feel that part of the issue that Ent had was that fans expected too much. Sure it had flaws of it's own, but I feel that it was a worthy addition to the universe.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Captain
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 543
# 77
01-18-2013, 02:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by boglejam73 View Post
You got me there. Never watched them. Or heard of them.
...*twitches before putting on his spiky orange sunglasses and dawning the red and blue cape with a flaming red skull wearing black version of said shades*

WHO THE <BLEEP> DO YOU THINK I AM!!!! THE FACT YOU'VE NEVER HEARD OF THE BIGGEST BAD<BLEEP> LEADERS OF TEAM DAI-GURREN IS AN INSULT TO BAD<BLEEP>ES EVERYWHERE! TO HAVE NOT HEARD OF THE GREAT KAMINA OR SIMON THE DIGGER IS...

*falls over laughing*

Sorry, I had to do that I felt.

But yeah, the poster above me pretty much voices what I think. TOS could get away with what it did because of the times and people should of maybe let Enterprise get more of a chance.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 891
# 78
01-18-2013, 02:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyny View Post
So there can be Space Alien Nazi's in TOS, but Enterprise doesn't cut it?

In addition to what centersolace said, those Space Nazi's were turned into space Nazis by a Federation observer. You get a bit of a believability pass if you are led astray from outside interference.

And also, the TOS space Nazis weren't time travelers. Like I said a few pages back - Time travel? ok. Space Nazi's? ok. Time travelling space Nazi's? A bridge too far.
Survivor of Romulus
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,696
# 79
01-18-2013, 03:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by raventomoe View Post
...*twitches before putting on his spiky orange sunglasses and dawning the red and blue cape with a flaming red skull wearing black version of said shades*

WHO THE <BLEEP> DO YOU THINK I AM!!!! THE FACT YOU'VE NEVER HEARD OF THE BIGGEST BAD<BLEEP> LEADERS OF TEAM DAI-GURREN IS AN INSULT TO BAD<BLEEP>ES EVERYWHERE! TO HAVE NOT HEARD OF THE GREAT KAMINA OR SIMON THE DIGGER IS...

*falls over laughing*

Sorry, I had to do that I felt.

But yeah, the poster above me pretty much voices what I think. TOS could get away with what it did because of the times and people should of maybe let Enterprise get more of a chance.
Not all geeks are anime fans. I also have no idea what you're talking about.
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
"I would rather take a chance on getting a change made to the game through positive engagement than know for sure that I got a change made by complaining" -drogyn1701, May 14, 2014.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,672
# 80
01-18-2013, 03:45 PM
Two Words: Scott Bakula

Archer was supposed to be a large gruff comic book type character that Kirk looked up to.

Not a whiny little Btch that looked like he didn't have enough bran in his diet every episode.

Virtually anyone would have been a better choice.
If your post is anything like, "I have a sandwich so you can't be starving" it's time to rethink posting.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:06 AM.