Captain
# 81
01-18-2013, 03:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drogyn1701 View Post
Not all geeks are anime fans. I also have no idea what you're talking about.
He's talking about Kamina, one of the characters of Gurren Lagann, he would dress up like that and strut around before blowing the crap out of an enemy, later Simon would take to doing the same thing after Kamina was killed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thlaylierah View Post
Two Words: Scott Bakula

Archer was supposed to be a large gruff comic book type character that Kirk looked up to.

Not a whiny little Btch that looked like he didn't have enough bran in his diet every episode.

Virtually anyone would have been a better choice.
He just didn't fit the role, every time the Enterprise encountered a problem I expect Bakula to say "Oh Boy", his catch phrase from Quantum leap.
Captain
# 82
01-18-2013, 03:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drogyn1701 View Post
Not all geeks are anime fans. I also have no idea what you're talking about.
I know that not all geeks are anime fans.

Also...I was talking about the leaders and main characters of TTGL...the way they would of. ^_^
Captain
# 83
01-18-2013, 04:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxvitor View Post
He just didn't fit the role, every time the Enterprise encountered a problem I expect Bakula to say "Oh Boy", his catch phrase from Quantum leap.
I was disappointed that he didn't do the spinning roundhouse kick... Not even once...
Captain
# 84
01-18-2013, 05:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by boglejam73 View Post
In addition to what centersolace said, those Space Nazi's were turned into space Nazis by a Federation observer. You get a bit of a believability pass if you are led astray from outside interference.

And also, the TOS space Nazis weren't time travelers. Like I said a few pages back - Time travel? ok. Space Nazi's? ok. Time travelling space Nazi's? A bridge too far.
The space Nazis in Enterprise weren't actually Nazis. They were just using the Nazis to build a temporal conduit to get back to their own time.
"It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid."
-- Q
Rihannsu
# 85
01-18-2013, 06:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by boglejam73 View Post
In addition to what centersolace said, those Space Nazi's were turned into space Nazis by a Federation observer. You get a bit of a believability pass if you are led astray from outside interference.

And also, the TOS space Nazis weren't time travelers. Like I said a few pages back - Time travel? ok. Space Nazi's? ok. Time travelling space Nazi's? A bridge too far.
I thought it was okay because the Nakuhl weren't really Nazis. They just pretended to be while on Earth.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Starfleet Veteran
# 86
01-18-2013, 06:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycoticvulcan View Post
The space Nazis in Enterprise weren't actually Nazis. They were just using the Nazis to build a temporal conduit to get back to their own time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
I thought it was okay because the Nakuhl weren't really Nazis. They just pretended to be while on Earth.
I know guys. Obviously, I have seen the episodes.

My point is (and has always been) that sometimes writers combine too many elements that require suspension of disbelief into a 43 minute episode. The story becomes something that can't be taken seriously any longer and the audience is left thinking the entire thing is silly and contrived and then becomes something of a running joke from that point forward.

I didn't see any time travelling space Nazi's wearing water skis and heading out to go jump sharks with Fonzie, but it was still pretty bad.
Captain
# 87
01-18-2013, 07:09 PM
A reason why space Nazis were okay in TOS is that most of the crew and audience has some experience fighting real Nazis. By the time Ent rolled around, Nazis had become a lazy generic badguy.
# 88
01-18-2013, 11:04 PM
I liked ENT, but... not the Xindi/Temporal Cold War thing. I wanted 'building the Federation' theme not some weird time travel thing out of left field.

I liked season 1 where they were getting started, learning, and pissing off Klingons. And Season 4 where they were dealing with the inter-species rivalries and Romulans being sneaky.

And the biggest travesty of all... the final episode. It was an insult to the series and franchise. I'd burn it's memory out of my brain if I could. If you have not seen it already, don't and just consider Terra Prime the last episode. You'll be much happier.
Sometimes I think I play STO just to have stuff to rant about on the forums!

Captain
# 89
01-19-2013, 09:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
It still strikes me as being hypocritical for people to hate on Ent for not being more than it was. It was fine for TOS to do hokey, stupid plots(half of them), but not Ent?

I feel that part of the issue that Ent had was that fans expected too much. Sure it had flaws of it's own, but I feel that it was a worthy addition to the universe.
I am many things, and a hypocrite isn't one of them. I'll be the first to say that TOS had hokey stupid plots, all the Star Treks have. And it's not like hokey episodes are bad, The Gamsters of Triskelion is a dumb, dumb, dumb episode and I love every minute of it.

No. The issue I have with ENT is that the stupid hokey plots are the same stupid hokey plots.
It's just more of the same stuff. And with all the budget, CGI, makeup technologies and everything else they had, they gave us more of the same.

I mean, after the godforsaken Xindi arc they decided to give us another bleeding time travel plot!!!! Why would you do that???

Quote:
Originally Posted by twg042370 View Post
A reason why space Nazis were okay in TOS is that most of the crew and audience has some experience fighting real Nazis. By the time Ent rolled around, Nazis had become a lazy generic badguy.
Didn't I say this already? But yes. This is a big part of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thlaylierah View Post
Two Words: Scott Bakula

Archer was supposed to be a large gruff comic book type character that Kirk looked up to.

Not a whiny little Btch that looked like he didn't have enough bran in his diet every episode.

Virtually anyone would have been a better choice.
If they wanted to make Archer cooler they should have given him a wife.

Seriously.

Archer always struck me as someone who should have been more like Sisko or Chief O'Brien. Someone who loves his family, and treats his friends and crew like one too, but takes no crap. Instead, we got someone more like.... Janeway....
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Rihannsu
# 90
01-19-2013, 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
I am many things, and a hypocrite isn't one of them. I'll be the first to say that TOS had hokey stupid plots, all the Star Treks have. And it's not like hokey episodes are bad, The Gamsters of Triskelion is a dumb, dumb, dumb episode and I love every minute of it.

No. The issue I have with ENT is that the stupid hokey plots are the same stupid hokey plots.
It's just more of the same stuff. And with all the budget, CGI, makeup technologies and everything else they had, they gave us more of the same.

I mean, after the godforsaken Xindi arc they decided to give us another bleeding time travel plot!!!! Why would you do that???
I didn't see Ent as being that similar. Which specific episodes are you thinking of? Aside from both episodes having Nazis, Storm Front and Patterns of Force have almost nothing in common with each other.

At any rate, I saw Storm Front as a way to do a final wrap up to the TCW arc. And well, it was better than most of the rest of the TCW.... Except the Sphere builders.... that part was kinda cool.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.

Last edited by markhawkman; 01-19-2013 at 01:40 PM.