Commander
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 289
# 11
01-17-2013, 02:55 PM
I think with todays CGI technology and the cheap cost of voice actor's its time for a new animated series. Perhaps something darker. like Section 31 focused
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 883
# 12
01-17-2013, 03:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by admgreer View Post
I think with todays CGI technology and the cheap cost of voice actor's its time for a new animated series. Perhaps something darker. like Section 31 focused
Um, No. Not the animated series idea (though I still prefer live action), but the darker version. Honestly, I am not sure I like all the DS9 did, I respect what it tried to do, and I am not saying it didn't do it well, but Trek has always been about the positive nature of the human condition. That is the world Gene invisioned. A world where when you get down to it, people are genuinely good and decent. DS9 tarnished this a little, no need to tarnish it more by focusing on a goup that never should have had any real power in the federation to begin with.
Survivor of Remus
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 340
# 13
01-17-2013, 03:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by voyagerfan9751 View Post
Trek has always been about the positive nature of the human condition.
Conflict, however, is needed for any sort of drama or tension. In order for the positive side of the human condition to be exemplified, it must also be contrasted against the darker aspects of it. What GR did was take all the questionable, horrible things about humanity and applied them to the various aliens that the Enterprise crew would meet over the course of their travels. I see it as a failing of the premise that Gene was happy to start humanity in an elevated moral position, but failed to demonstrate the struggle, the cost, and the self-sacrifice required to bring them there. A Trek series that really addresses the darker side of humanity honestly and occasionally left the viewer uncomfortable or uncertain by the end of the episode would be a breath of fresh air.

Give me a darker, more uncertain future, and then show how we get our stuff together enough to make it better and brighter.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 11,100
# 14
01-17-2013, 03:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by voyagerfan9751 View Post
Um, No. Not the animated series idea (though I still prefer live action), but the darker version. Honestly, I am not sure I like all the DS9 did, I respect what it tried to do, and I am not saying it didn't do it well, but Trek has always been about the positive nature of the human condition. That is the world Gene invisioned. A world where when you get down to it, people are genuinely good and decent. DS9 tarnished this a little, no need to tarnish it more by focusing on a goup that never should have had any real power in the federation to begin with.
I agree. There's enough grimdark stuff going around these days.

I've mentioned it before, but I have been tossing around ideas for an animated Star Trek series. There isn't really enough to show at the moment, but I could work out a few things to share if enough people want to see. Others have shown interest in the past.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,789
# 15
01-17-2013, 03:34 PM
Transplanting this since it seems more appropriate for this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jexsamx View Post
While I'm not against the franchise going to dark places, Federation sounds... a bit too dark.

For example, the destruction of Romulus, the tragedy it brings, and the machinations it sets into motion would be perfect for a darker Trek without dimming the optimism the Federation represents. You'll probably have a few rogue elements within the Federation working against its interests in the whole matter, but they wouldn't represent the whole.

Set this hypothetical series on a large, powerful new class of ship, fresh off the production line and sent to aid whatever Romulan faction the Federation has chosen to aid (there would no doubt be many factions resulting from the split; Reunificationists, isolationists who refuse help, government loyalists, Tal Shiar...) as a show of both peace and humanitarian aid, and as a show of force who would use the chaos as an excuse to try something. Throw in potential new antagonists from the opposite side of Romulan space that we may never have heard of, add a dash of Klingon interaction from an Empire eager to take advantage of the weakened state of their old enemy and their reaction to the Federation aiding them... It would play out as equal parts DS9 and TNG, and ideally, add its own flair to Trek.

Find a fitting latin word to serve as both the name of the ship and the series, and preferably also with some relevance to the plot, and we'd have a show that could totally last seven seasons.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,060
# 16
01-17-2013, 07:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by voyagerfan9751 View Post
Um, No. Not the animated series idea (though I still prefer live action), but the darker version. Honestly, I am not sure I like all the DS9 did, I respect what it tried to do, and I am not saying it didn't do it well, but Trek has always been about the positive nature of the human condition. That is the world Gene invisioned. A world where when you get down to it, people are genuinely good and decent. DS9 tarnished this a little, no need to tarnish it more by focusing on a goup that never should have had any real power in the federation to begin with.
I disagree. DS9 was still about striving for the decency despite not having a reason to be decent at all. Sisko bent over backwards to try and keep the Dominion at bay without engaging in Section 31's bioweapon plan. Garak had no reason to be on the station beyond being granted a chance to move into the light. Kira learned to forgive her enemies. Bashir learned humility and that even on the frontier people deserved respect. And Odo could have left the Great Link to rot, but he put aside his undying love to save them.

Now, Voayger's Tuvix episode? That really smacked the hell out of the idea of Starfleet folks doing what's right all of the time. But then again, the situation was presented as a No-Win Scenario from the start and the episode was a lot stronger for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squatsauce
Give me a darker, more uncertain future, and then show how we get our stuff together enough to make it better and brighter.
As I said in the other thread: This would be hella timely.
_________________
Nebula coffee is the best coffee
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,277
# 17
01-17-2013, 07:55 PM
The only problem I have with the OP's idea is that it doesn't have a core cast of characters that get developed. And without character growth, it's hard to make a really good Trek series.
"It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid."
-- Q
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 883
# 18
01-18-2013, 06:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squatsauce View Post
Conflict, however, is needed for any sort of drama or tension. In order for the positive side of the human condition to be exemplified, it must also be contrasted against the darker aspects of it. What GR did was take all the questionable, horrible things about humanity and applied them to the various aliens that the Enterprise crew would meet over the course of their travels. I see it as a failing of the premise that Gene was happy to start humanity in an elevated moral position, but failed to demonstrate the struggle, the cost, and the self-sacrifice required to bring them there. A Trek series that really addresses the darker side of humanity honestly and occasionally left the viewer uncomfortable or uncertain by the end of the episode would be a breath of fresh air.

Give me a darker, more uncertain future, and then show how we get our stuff together enough to make it better and brighter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by twg042370 View Post
I disagree. DS9 was still about striving for the decency despite not having a reason to be decent at all. Sisko bent over backwards to try and keep the Dominion at bay without engaging in Section 31's bioweapon plan. Garak had no reason to be on the station beyond being granted a chance to move into the light. Kira learned to forgive her enemies. Bashir learned humility and that even on the frontier people deserved respect. And Odo could have left the Great Link to rot, but he put aside his undying love to save them.

Now, Voayger's Tuvix episode? That really smacked the hell out of the idea of Starfleet folks doing what's right all of the time. But then again, the situation was presented as a No-Win Scenario from the start and the episode was a lot stronger for it.



As I said in the other thread: This would be hella timely.
My point is this. Whenever you have something like a Section 31 centered idea. you put into question the idea of an "end justifies the means" with a no matter what the means is, as long as we "protect the Federation. You want a canon example, the Federation was willing to effectively commit mass genecide on the Founders in the name of winning the Dominion War by not only not helping Bashir develop the cure for the virus killing them, but actively hindering him.

That is what I mean by getting a little tarnished. True, Section 31 might have created the virus, but the Federation was willing to stand by and let it happen. That really isn't my idea of the best of humanity nor the ideal society.

Yes, conflict is necessary, especially for good TV, but I would like to think given the choice between actively helping an enemy we are at war with, and letting them all die, we would help them, not say in the famous words of Kirk "Let them Die"
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,060
# 19
01-18-2013, 06:33 PM
Yet even Kirk, who had understandable reasons for his prejudice, grew out of that darkness.

Reaching enlightenment could make for excellent drama. I wish they'd do that for this game, to be honest, instead of brushing aside the fact that you slaughtered a base full of Romulan civilians.
_________________
Nebula coffee is the best coffee

Last edited by twg042370; 01-18-2013 at 06:36 PM.
Captain
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,760
# 20
01-18-2013, 06:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by raj011 View Post
This is a great idea. They should do this!
Cool idea what you would get would be like an outer limits show with a new tale each week. It reminds me of the alien spotlight comics. The big problem I would see is the budget for such a show would probably be too much, if it kept up to the same production value as the other trek shows. new sets and costumes and cast each episode. Yikes!
Play more STO Foundry! (You can thank me later.)

A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM in the SIRIUS SECTOR

Last edited by lincolninspace; 01-18-2013 at 06:52 PM.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:58 AM.