Captain
# 1 TV Shows Changing Genre
01-18-2013, 10:22 PM
I have always been interested in what would happen to the story of a TV show if halfway through the series, the creators decide to completely change the genre of the show. For example in the season finale of Glee, it turns into a zombie apocalypse or The Walking Dead uses the power of dance and music to defeat the zombies. Certain scenarios can pretty much alter any show into science fiction or horror. Alien visitation, alien invasion, zombie apocalypse, and apocalyptic events can change any regular fictional show into another genre. The main point of genre changing is that it has to be believable so the audience can follow how the TV show changed genres. Having the show be a drama one week and a zombie apocalypse the next is not believable. Turning a science fiction show into a historical drama could be possible.

Does anyone have any ideas for what shows they would like to see have their genre change? Or you could get really creative and come up with a premise for the initial TV show and how its genre is changed.
Career Officer
# 2
01-18-2013, 10:28 PM
Well my GF insists on watching "Days of our lives" every evening...

True I sit on my butt in front of the computer all that time, but I can still hear it... It would be really nice if it would change genre into say... A documentary about fish.
My name may say "PWE member", but I will never be.
-NEVER Forget the Screwups and ignorance made towards the people who supported the game through 2011
Don't look silly, don't call it "Zen-Store" - Don't waste devs time, Post proper bug-reports - I don't like Gekos
Survivor of Romulus
# 3
01-19-2013, 01:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
Well my GF insists on watching "Days of our lives" every evening...

True I sit on my butt in front of the computer all that time, but I can still hear it... It would be really nice if it would change genre into say... A documentary about fish.

Hot surgically enhanced Bass: - "Is that fishstick on your collar!? We're through!"

Old Pike: -"Sorry hun but you know what they say, there are plenty of fish in the sea.."

Hmm, could work?
Starfleet Veteran
# 4
01-19-2013, 02:23 AM
Closest show I can thin of at the moment that did this was LOST.

They tried to maintain a facade of reality as a drama show with some mysterious **** happening, but once time travel got involved that went out the window and then they introduced mystical elements even later on.
Captain
# 5
01-19-2013, 05:48 AM
Most notable example I can think of, is not exactly a show, but a character: Captain Jack Harkness...

When first introduced in Doctor Who, Jack was portrayed as being omnisexual, and flirting with everything, and anyone, regardless of species or gender.

In an interview, John Barrowman was questioned about similarities between himself and Jack, and he replied that while there was much of him in Jack, and much of Jack in him, "I'm gay, he's not..."

Despite Barrowman's clear statement that Jack was not gay, as Torchwood progressed as a series, Jack was written in such a way that only male relationships were mentioned (other than his obsession with Gwen Cooper) and by the time the series Miracle Day was released, he was being written as full on gay, cruising gay bars, and making unnecessary homosexual references between himself and Rex Matheson. While I don't have issue with homosexual characters (Lieutenant Hawk was gay, and IMHO his presence is one of the most awesome things about First Contact) I don't like how Jack's sexuality was unnecessarily retconned/shifted, and I think that needlessly changed an incredibly popular character...

PS I carry John Barrowman's autobiography with me everywhere in the hopes of running into him and being able to get his autograph
Rihannsu
# 6
01-19-2013, 06:27 AM
I doubt you will see anything like this in truth. i think it would enrage fans if a show they have loved turns into something else. it would be fascinating to see a comedy show become a horror show but it would most likely be a television disaster and seen as a gimmick for ratings from a show that has no centre.

why do shows like CSI do so well even though its basically the same thing for hundreds of episodes? people like consistency and reliability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timelord79 View Post
Closest show I can thin of at the moment that did this was LOST.

They tried to maintain a facade of reality as a drama show with some mysterious **** happening, but once time travel got involved that went out the window and then they introduced mystical elements even later on.
I agree this is one of the few, and probably most noticeable attempts but even so it knows what it is from the start and slowly drags you in rather than a 180 turn.

Lost started as a show about survivors and how they were coping and what their lives were like before. it was very personal, lot of character interactions etc with just the tiniest hints of mystery.

then before you know it there are smoke monsters, doomsday clocks and time travel. it really introduced a lot of people into sci-fi without them realising it. i bet if they had gone the whole way from day 1, less people would have watched.

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission
Captain
# 7
01-19-2013, 07:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainrevo1 View Post
why do shows like CSI do so well even though its basically the same thing for hundreds of episodes? people like consistency and reliability.
Baywatch would be another example of that... I mean, how many different ways can someone drown or Tower 14 get blown up? I read an interview with Pamela Anderson a good 15 years ago, where she said how much she'd like to work with Quentin Tarantino... An episode of Baywatch directed by Tarantino would have been awesome, opening with a cut to Mitch hogtied in a dark tower, then flashback to how he got there
Captain
# 8
01-19-2013, 10:06 AM
Tv Tropes has a list of the various media that have done this, but not to the extent that I am asking for. I am not asking for actual Genre Shifts, but ones that you would like to see.
Captain
# 9
01-19-2013, 11:15 AM
In 1993 there was a Children in Need charity crossover, called 'Dimensions in Time'; essentially, the British soap opera EastEnders provided the setting for an episode of Doctor Who. Ever since, I've felt that most soaps could benefit from the occasional visitor from another planet.

Or zombies.
Exploration suggestions thread - give it a read

BTW, you'd pronounce it 'Cap'n Manks'

I protest the removal of exploration clusters
Career Officer
# 10
01-19-2013, 11:36 AM
Full swing genre shifts are a bad idea, though. When you hook an audience on one genre, you can't straight-up pull the rug out from under them. Nobody who watches a show about a glee club is going to be happy when suddenly they're fleeing from zombies. It's a bait-and-switch, and that's a low thing to do to your viewers for anything more than an episode or two.

At the absolute least, this sort of thing would have to be meticulously planned and written so that hints of what was going to happen were present in the show prior, so you don't build expectations for one thing and then stomp on them later. And it couldn't be a long-running series either; if you shift genres midway through seasons one and go for six seasons after, that first half of the series suddenly seems pointless; if you wanted to do a zombie show, why did you write a romantic comedy show for the first ten episodes?

EDIT: But since you asked what I'd like to see, I think it'd be funny if Game of Thrones turned into a giant robot anime parody. "Big Snow! Showtime!" *Jon Snow climbs into the pilot's seat of a vaguely steampunky all-black robot. The monitor flashes the engage code "Winter is Coming"*

Last edited by jexsamx; 01-19-2013 at 11:47 AM.