Lieutenant
# 1 Blown out of proportion?
01-19-2013, 07:38 AM
I was just wondering if everybody was happy with the way that Cryptic are now taking vessels from other periods in history and converging them all into the 2409 storyline. I feel that this has not be discussed and for me, this effects the game credibility... using TOR as an example, I do not believe that Bioware itself would add the X-Wing or Tie-Fighter into the game because it would be detrimental to the timeline.

I want to know if Cryptic can defend this position of randomly going through episodes, looking at ships and just chucking them in for any other reason to make as much money as possible off fan service.

This is not a rage or flame against Cryptic. I just want to know the community opinion of such rampant disregard for Star Trek's history and how this effects the game's credibility as an actual game and not a bad fan-fiction that just happens to be endorsed by CBS? Would Gene be rolling in his grave that his message has been sacrificed by corporate suits?
Commander
# 2
01-19-2013, 07:42 AM
We've been seeing the Ambassador in more than the past that caused the peace treaty. Heck it was fighting in the Dominion War. I'm sure it fits just as well as the Excelsior that almost blew up the Defiant.
Lieutenant
# 3
01-19-2013, 07:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xigbarg View Post
We've been seeing the Ambassador in more than the past that caused the peace treaty. Heck it was fighting in the Dominion War. I'm sure it fits just as well as the Excelsior that almost blew up the Defiant.
I am talking about vessels like, The NX, the Constitution and especially the Wells Class Timeship amongst others.
Captain
# 4
01-19-2013, 08:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by warbird1988 View Post
I am talking about vessels like, The NX, the Constitution and especially the Wells Class Timeship amongst others.
The NX ingame is supposed to be a replica isnt it?

Something about starfleet engineers playing around with current technology and putting building older designs?

Dont get me wrong i agree that they are WAY beyond anachronistic to see something that was at the birth of the federation in (whatever stardate we are supposed to be in)

But thats the good thing, you DONT see them about, being T1 ships, their use is unbeliavably limited, connies do reappear levels 10-19 but again, that point of leveling is still fairly quick, and you hardly see them about.

As for the timeships,... yeah its beyond silly,
Yes you do get to satisfy the players who want a 'cool' looking ship with naughty consoles, but bleh, it goes against any starfleet temporal prime directives, stuff i would expect involving 'dont leave super high tech ships in the past, and hand the keys over to some Vice admiral' I mean we all know federation admirals are evil incarnate from TNG xD

Klingons with timeships? again i would have thought they would be more interested in their timeline wars/fights rather than tampering with the glorious battles of the past, something dishonerable about messing up the past?

Let us just pray that no more timef-ckery goes on in STO's life. and for goodness sake, No T5 connie to those who beg >.< the connie is the past! live for tomorrow!
Tactical Cube deals 338364 (204629) Kinetic Damage to Tactical Cube with Plasma Torpedo - Heavy III.
Recoil damage... Burn
Career Officer
# 5
01-19-2013, 08:07 AM
the NX Class that is present in STO is a replica of the original NX Class. It uses the modern technology coupled with the original hull to pull off a hybrid ship. That said the hull is still incredibly flimsy.

The Constitution, Light Cruiser, and various other old period ships are probably similarly replica's due to the fact that otherwise they would not make sense in the modern context.

The one exception to this rule is the Excelsior class. The reason being that when it was first constructed that vessel was so heavily over constructed that it was centuries ahead (technology and hull wise) of the ships of it's own period. As such it can survive in the current era just fine.

With regard to the Time Ships, they are time machine's. They can be in whatever time period they damn well please.
# 6
01-19-2013, 08:14 AM
Yeah, the TOS era ships don't make as much sense so I figured it was a replica stress test project or just something the graduating class did for kicks.
Starfleet Veteran
# 7
01-19-2013, 08:17 AM
Quote:
I was just wondering if everybody was happy with the way that Cryptic are now taking vessels from other periods in history and converging them all into the 2409 storyline. I feel that this has not be discussed and for me, this effects the game credibility... using TOR as an example, I do not believe that Bioware itself would add the X-Wing or Tie-Fighter into the game because it would be detrimental to the timeline.

I want to know if Cryptic can defend this position of randomly going through episodes, looking at ships and just chucking them in for any other reason to make as much money as possible off fan service.

This is not a rage or flame against Cryptic. I just want to know the community opinion of such rampant disregard for Star Trek's history and how this effects the game's credibility as an actual game and not a bad fan-fiction that just happens to be endorsed by CBS? Would Gene be rolling in his grave that his message has been sacrificed by corporate suits?
The economy will only support what the market will bear.
Captain
# 8
01-19-2013, 08:18 AM
Imagine if Cryptic didn't include all the older vessels for players to use ...

We'd be seeing a LOT more posts devoted to complaining that the Wrath of Khan Miranda skin was not in the game or "where's my TOS Constitution?!"

Sure, it breaks some level emersion, but it's better to be less restrictive (in this regard) than to be as "accurate" as possible.

For example, I don't like the current flowing, streamlined look of the Odyssey. But instead of complaining about it, I'll just fly my Excelsior ... because it's beautiful to me and awesome for my game-play. Thank you Cryptic for letting me use a 23rd Century design in the 25th Century.
Kathryn S. Beringer - The Dawn Patrol

Solaris build - Veritatum Liquido Cernene
Commander
# 9
01-19-2013, 08:23 AM
I remember when I really wanted to fly the TOS connie and was tempted to take it everywhere to. I would have made so many people mad if I did. Instead, i'm flying the Nebula I bought yesterday. It just needs a memorable name...
Captain
# 10
01-19-2013, 08:31 AM
Quote:
Replicas, training vessels, and magic tech from the far future. And since people want to play them, Cryptic would be idiots to not include them.