Lieutenant
# 31
01-19-2013, 10:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatyanasergei View Post
You clearly have no imagination, good sir.
You obviously have an overactive one, good sir.
Career Officer
# 32
01-19-2013, 10:47 AM
Well...

If STO is that bad and apparently TOR is so great...

What are you waiting for?
DaveyNY - STO Forum Minion since February - 2009
................Star Trek Fan since Thursday Sept. 8th, 1966
There are No Longer any STO Veterans... We're Just Minions who have Played the Game for the last 4.75 years.
Lt. Commander
# 33
01-19-2013, 10:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by warbird1988 View Post
Again... we are talking about Tholians in the "MIRROR UNIVERSE" and not the Prime Universe. Due to the comparisons of all the other races in the Mirror Universe, those Tholians would hardly be the same as ours.

Case and Point: Cryptic don't know what they are talking about... again...
Prime universe Tholians.
Lieutenant
# 34
01-19-2013, 10:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyny View Post
Well...

If it's that bad and apparently TOR is so great...

What are you waiting for?
I never said that TOR was good or STO was bad, when they actually stick to concepts that are established and not go off on some wild tangent. Gameplay wise, this game is fun but the story recently is getting more then a little ridiculous.

Yup, the Tholians did try to gain that pod, that mealy shows an interest in advanced technology, like any species. Not that they have the capacity to bring ships from the future to them.
Lt. Commander
# 35
01-19-2013, 10:50 AM
Quote:
You obviously have an overactive one, good sir.
How so?

Seriously, I want to know- Where in my original post did I do anything but give a reasonable explanation of why we can have these ships, without the Temporal Investigations crew raining down on us, based on the in-game text for the ships? I hardly call that an overactive imagination- I call it not being a dogmatic person who discounts everything that doesn't fit his view of what Trek should or should not be.
Lieutenant
# 36
01-19-2013, 10:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatyanasergei View Post
How so?

Seriously, I want to know- Where in my original post did I do anything but give a reasonable explanation of why we can have these ships, without the Temporal Investigations crew raining down on us, based on the in-game text for the ships? I hardly call that an overactive imagination- I call it not being a dogmatic person who discounts everything that doesn't fit his view of what Trek should or should not be.
Yes and I accept that Cryptic have tried to maintain that, I am just pointing out the purely-evident plot holes in this explanation that any intelligent Star Trek fan should be asking themselves when they are flying about with a ship that has not only the hull design but also the INTERNAL LCARS of the 29th Century.

What I call being observant, you call being dogmatic. Sorry you cannot tolerate questions being asked.
Career Officer
# 37
01-19-2013, 10:56 AM
Quote:
I never said that TOR was good or STO was bad, when they actually stick to concepts that are established and not go off on some wild tangent. Gameplay wise, this game is fun but the story recently is getting more then a little ridiculous.
You've been using TOR as the 'candlestick' to hold STO up against...

Your posted opinion's clearly indicate otherwise.

None of us can read your mind, and until this point, we could only go by what you've said.

And what you've said..., also clearly indicates that STO is very disappointing, while TOR appears to be OK.

Please..., tell us when we should be aware of your vasselating opinions, so we can keep up with the conversation.

Quote:
What I call being observant, you call being dogmatic. Sorry you cannot tolerate questions being asked
And again... Stop Insulting people to try to win yourself points...

It's childish.
DaveyNY - STO Forum Minion since February - 2009
................Star Trek Fan since Thursday Sept. 8th, 1966
There are No Longer any STO Veterans... We're Just Minions who have Played the Game for the last 4.75 years.

Last edited by daveyny; 01-19-2013 at 12:12 PM.
Starfleet Veteran
# 38
01-19-2013, 10:57 AM
Quote:
If you remember, there is something called the "Temporal Integrity Commission" who correct major disruptions to the Timeline and would probably not approve of 25th Century Admirals using 29th Century Starships. Since Braxton went back in time to remove Voyager over 20th Century Earth. They would happily interfere in the 25th Century to correct that problem.

I just love how Cryptic assumes that because the Tholians had access to the USS Defiant in the Mirror Universe. That makes them somehow "Master of Time-Travel" or "Timelords".

Like I said before, the NX and Connie really do not bother me at all.

So yeah... the timeships are all bull and when this game really lost touch with itself.
The lockbox style ships are relitively rare, and because of it I can imagine roleplay angles that could explain them. The older style ships are not too hard to explain. Just beause the design is old, it does not mean the ship itself is old. They can keep the same hull design while still having newer technology in the ship. They were using TOS era ships all the way into DS9, Voyager, and the newer TNG movies. Anytime they show a full fleet of ships there is almost always at least a handful of the older style ships. The only hard to explain ships are the old style constitutions and the people who make TOS themed crews, but those are rare enough that you can probably pull a highly unlikely, but almost plausable RP excuse for it. The thing to keep in mind is these things are relitivly rare, and because of them being a bit rare you can make slightly stretched RP stories to explain them. The TOS crew that had an accident and was pulled into the future. The crew that was abmushed and thier ship destroyed, but not before they were able to escape the ship and steal a Tholian vessel a la Star Trek IV, etc.

As far as leaving the tech behind in the past, in Enterprise they left behind some serious tech for a good while on that ship. You may also want to consider causality loops too. Like First Contact and what happened a lot in Enterprise, the Federation was almost entirely caused by people from the future meddling in the past and telling the people in the past about it so events would happen causing the Federation to be formed. That is really the only thing I kind of hated in Enterprise, by telling Archer about the federation forming and showing him the Enterprise J etc, it kind of stole the greatness out of him working to lay the ground work for it. Sam thing in First Contact. Cochrane was just a greedy bastard until the Enterprise crew kind of twisted his arm into his role in paving humanity's new direction. Like what Trip said in one episode, if you could find out who you are going to marry, when you finally do met that person, are you marrying them because you want to, or are you just doing it because the guy from the future said you are going to?

Similiar things might be happening with the time ships. Something is coming that it going to wipe the floor with both the Federation and Klingons, and a couple ships "accidentally" left in the past might be what is needed to turn the tides.
Career Officer
# 39
01-19-2013, 11:20 AM
Quote:
I was just wondering if everybody was happy with the way that Cryptic are now taking vessels from other periods in history and converging them all into the 2409 storyline. I feel that this has not be discussed and for me, this effects the game credibility... using TOR as an example, I do not believe that Bioware itself would add the X-Wing or Tie-Fighter into the game because it would be detrimental to the timeline.

I want to know if Cryptic can defend this position of randomly going through episodes, looking at ships and just chucking them in for any other reason to make as much money as possible off fan service.

This is not a rage or flame against Cryptic. I just want to know the community opinion of such rampant disregard for Star Trek's history and how this effects the game's credibility as an actual game and not a bad fan-fiction that just happens to be endorsed by CBS? Would Gene be rolling in his grave that his message has been sacrificed by corporate suits?
^^^
You seem to forget something - STO IS a game and not some sort of 25th century SIMs simulation or something. There are Star Trek fans from many eras who just want to see the Trek they like represented (not everyone thinks Star trek is defined bu the TNG era - and WITHOUT TOS, the TNG era never would have been seen on screen.)
Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012 http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=91861979000&dateline=  1340755546
PWE Drone says: "Your STO community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
Captain
# 40
01-19-2013, 11:36 AM
Just like any canon nitpicking, I don't care about it at all.

Buttom line they aim to earn money on selling ships. Though I personally only like very few ships I am all for them being released so others can enjoy them and the game can make money.
I am always for new content even if I don't use it myself (well with the except of season 7 but that wasn't all new content)

Luckily I do have a few ships I like and maybe one day they will throw a new ship out there aimed at me.