Lt. Commander
# 11
01-17-2013, 12:12 PM
A desporite race looking to try to be able to keep their hard earned territory and search for a way to propagate their own race, willing to do what ever they must to survive....sounds like a pretty cool npc for an extended season long plot line to me
Career Officer
# 12
01-19-2013, 05:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
They weren't. The idea that Tzenkethi = Kzinti is an urban legend.
No, the guy above stated that the Tzenkethi were renamed to Ferasan, I was asking why that was.

If that is untrue also, then why didn't Cryptic simply put the Tzenkethi into the KDF? Why create a brand new species?

Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
Well... it's not clear when Insurrection happens in the DS9 timeline. I would guess either towards the end or after the end of the Dominion war. We know this because Riker was able to look up in a historical database on the Ent-E what the Son'a did in the Dominion war.
Such would indicate Insurrection was after the Dominion War. Riker spoke in past tense.
Community Moderator
# 13
01-19-2013, 06:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flash525 View Post
No, the guy above stated that the Tzenkethi were renamed to Ferasan, I was asking why that was.

If that is untrue also, then why didn't Cryptic simply put the Tzenkethi into the KDF? Why create a brand new species?

Such would indicate Insurrection was after the Dominion War. Riker spoke in past tense.
Because the Tzenkethi aren't the Kzinti, but the Ferasans are.

Batlike-eared cat people who hate the Federation and have telepaths?

The TNG writer who invented the Tzenkethi described them as heavily-armored lizards. The link to the Kzinti was SOLEY in the inspiration for their name, not for their culture or physical description.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online Forums. My views do not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment.
If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a 'forums and website' support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Follow me: Twitter,Google
Lieutenant
# 14
01-19-2013, 07:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syberghost View Post
Because the Tzenkethi aren't the Kzinti, but the Ferasans are.

Batlike-eared cat people who hate the Federation and have telepaths?

The TNG writer who invented the Tzenkethi described them as heavily-armored lizards. The link to the Kzinti was SOLEY in the inspiration for their name, not for their culture or physical description.
Hmmm... if this is true then the people who included the Tzenkethi in the novels got it wrong in terms of their physical descriptons...
ODYSSEY SCIENCE CRUISER - U.S.S. MAIDEN TORONTO NX-971312-B
VESTA MULTI-MISSION SURVEILLANCE EXPLORER - U.S.S. HOPE IN HELL NX-902013-A
Fleet member of Access Denied
Rihannsu
# 15
01-19-2013, 07:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianmetalfan View Post
Hmmm... if this is true then the people who included the Tzenkethi in the novels got it wrong in terms of their physical descriptons...
Very much so... I do like the bioluminescent bit. That would make for an interesting race in STO.

I suspect STO doesn't have Tzenkethi simply because they wanted a felinoid race for the KDF...
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Rihannsu
# 16
01-19-2013, 11:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flash525 View Post
If that is untrue also, then why didn't Cryptic simply put the Tzenkethi into the KDF?
Why?

Because they were a passing reference that was never actual shown, this would mean doing something for basic for nothing only for fanwank that would erupt into fanrage the moment someone developed the Tzenkethi into something that was different that what Cryptic did.

We still have people complaining about the Andorians "4 genders".

Quote:
Why create a brand new species?
Why indeed.

The KDF needs no more races because EVERYONE IS A KLINGON! Everyone regardless of race talks and acts like a Klingon ... Orion? A Honorable Klingon. Gorn? A Honorable Klingon.

We have Klingons wearing costumes and makeup, we DONT have Orions or Gorn or anything BUT Klingons.

So why even bother, I dont care because the moment I roll a non-klingon on the KDF I am a Klingon so I might as well just play one at least it will be consistent that way.

At least the Federation kinda have a excuse and in some cases (Vulcans) some support but thats it, its easier to swallow the fact everyone acts the same were the KDF melting pot is simply a sore spot because the entire faction ACTS Klingon regardless of their actual race.