Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Klingon Gameplay
Login

Captain
# 21
01-19-2013, 08:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawks3052 View Post
Seeing that the ship is only a kitbash of a K'Tinga and a Vor'Cha shows how idealess and non creative Cryptic is when it comes to KDF.
To be fair, the Ambassador is basically a kitbash of the Excelsior and Galaxy classes.
"It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid."
-- Q
Captain
# 22
01-19-2013, 10:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnumstar View Post
~snip~
Welcome to the last 3 years of the KDF. This is what the KDF has been saying from the begining. It is also one of the reasons I have been adamant against any 3rd faction that wasn't a full faction from the start.

I am not going to criticize why Cryptic did what they did from the start. I am sure they had their reasons, and I am sure they considered everything from the start before they made the decision. But the reality was the KDF was not in the same place as the FED, and yes the result is, in a small company like cryptic, that means you have to prioritize what you do or don't do with the limited resources you have. Which yes, is a self-fulfilling prophesy. Where the numbers aren't there to support content, because the content isn't there to support the numbers.
Commander
# 23
01-20-2013, 12:55 AM
I won't hold my breath for KDF improvements, I've been here since open beta and I don't trust into the Devs anymore, they disappointed me to often. I'll get what I can and have fun with chars as much has I can, but the contet is running out fast.
Cryptic's shamefull history with the KDF

http://www.stowiki.org/User:Peregrin...ryptic_Studios
Lt. Commander
# 24
01-20-2013, 06:29 AM
The decision to tank the KDF wasn't about prioritizing because of financial woes because before Cryptic pleaded empty pockets it was "We ran some polls and people dont want to play a Klingon". Where were these polls held? Who was asked to participate? No one on the forums knew. So it went from we didn't have time to no one wants to play a klingon to we were broke. Again the financial reasons do not hold water when you have hundreds of folks posting asking for more stuff for the KDF, just for grins scroll back through the forum posts and check it out. You can either make your money from one faction or you can invest into both and make your money from both. They could've developed content for the factions on 1 to 3 basis, 1 KDF thing to 3 Fed things and they would've ended up making more money in the long run. I refer back to my apple tree scenerio. Also if they have money for a new title, NWNO, then there was money for the KDF to be completed. They could've have completed the KDF then started on NWN so again it isn't about financial. They use the financial spin to justify throwing the KDF under the bus and when that doen't hold up its their double secrete polls.
Captain
# 25
01-20-2013, 08:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnumstar View Post
The decision to tank the KDF wasn't about prioritizing because of financial woes because before Cryptic pleaded empty pockets it was "We ran some polls and people dont want to play a Klingon". Where were these polls held? Who was asked to participate? No one on the forums knew. So it went from we didn't have time to no one wants to play a klingon to we were broke. Again the financial reasons do not hold water when you have hundreds of folks posting asking for more stuff for the KDF, just for grins scroll back through the forum posts and check it out. You can either make your money from one faction or you can invest into both and make your money from both. They could've developed content for the factions on 1 to 3 basis, 1 KDF thing to 3 Fed things and they would've ended up making more money in the long run. I refer back to my apple tree scenerio. Also if they have money for a new title, NWNO, then there was money for the KDF to be completed. They could've have completed the KDF then started on NWN so again it isn't about financial. They use the financial spin to justify throwing the KDF under the bus and when that doen't hold up its their double secrete polls.
My Point, And understand this is purely speculation on my part, I don't work and have never worked for Cryptic so I have no idea on what was or was not discussed or what decisions were or were not made, is that when you have limited resources (keep in mind the double staff figures are the 50+ members, meaning when STO started they most likely had a meager 25 dev, across all departments) You have to figure out how to best use those resources.

It would be nice to cater to every group, but if you have 10 costumers, and 8 want one product and 2 want another, and you can only reasonable make one, are you going to make the product for the 2 or the 8 and hope that with the extra money you can get to the 2.

I am not saying it is an ideal situation, far from it, but I do understand prioritizing what makes the most money vs what doesn't. You can argue they whys and hows all you want, but the reality is there are far fewer KDF players then there are FED players. Do I believe the lack of attention has anything to do with that? I said as much my last post.

Again, what ever the reasons, KDF doesn't make as much money as the FEDs at this point. The result is, when you have a limited number of resources, you do what is best for the company, and any company that is going to be making as much money as you can, as effectively as you can. Currently, that resides in the FED. Do I believe a full KDF faction could change that, Yes I do. Again, I have said as much and used it as a reason to want only full factions from here on out.

It is my sincerest hope that with the increase in resources Cryptic now has, they can begin to work on the KDF and build it up, but I am not going to blame or reharp on them for past mistakes, It helps no one and isn't going to get things any better.

Cryptic has said Season 8 will hold big things for the KDF, and that players/fans "Will be happy". As I have said, I am on a "Pics or it didn't happen" stance. If I see it, I will believe it and give Cryptic their due. If I don't, it isn't like it is anything new, so why stress or whine about it.
Lt. Commander
# 26
01-20-2013, 11:27 AM
Again if there is money to be made by investing and the forum posts assure us of this fact then it is wise to throw some time/money that way. The financial woes came about because they decided to develope a 3rd title rather than finish the last one. That's where the limited resources come from and why the KDF faction was thrown under the bus. But that still wasn't a good enough reason not to invest a fraction of those resouces into the KDF that the blue side was recieving. It had nothing to do with one faction being larger than the other as the reason for the Feds getting all the goodies. They used that as an excuse. If they would've funneled some of those resources into the KDF they still would've made money. It doesn't matter if you get 98% of you income from the blue side and 2% from the red or if you invest a bit in the red side and get 20% from them and 80% from the blue in revenue you're still making the same amount of money. Somewhere at the top of the corporate ladder someone made a conscious decision to not develope the KDF and as we all know corporate decisions are dicey at best. So instead of leaving these decisions to the EP, Devs, and KDF community they decided to step in and throw us all under the bus. I believe from the start Dan was fighting for the KDF faction, he would come out time and again and say they had something in the works for the KDF only for it to tank. I don't think a man of his stature would purposely make himself look like a fool, someone above did that and cut him off at the knees. This maybe why he left for a bit, this may have given him time to rethink a plan of attack to get the KDF back in production. The last part is only specualtion but it fits the series of events that have unfolded.
Empire Veteran
# 27
01-20-2013, 11:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawks3052 View Post
I won't hold my breath for KDF improvements, I've been here since open beta and I don't trust into the Devs anymore, they disappointed me to often. I'll get what I can and have fun with chars as much has I can, but the contet is running out fast.
Well, I've been here since Open Beta too, and I've never been bothered, even long before I joined the KDF side I, unlike many others on these forums it seems, understand that the things the devs say aren't set in stone; they're merely 'We'd LIKE to get this done by then, but no guarentees'.

If they do, then great. If not, it comes later. Either way, not quite a big deal, in most cases. Shame many others interpret them as actual promises... thus unnecessary disappointment comes later.
Was named Trek17, but still an author.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh'.
Empire Veteran
# 28
01-25-2013, 06:07 PM
When even the owner of a company says things that excite and arouse fans, its hard not to be upset and feel cheated when they come about slowly or not at all. When such letdowns happen enough to become a common theme, it will always arouse angst.

That is the history we KDF have had to endure in the past. Its time to set the past in its place and look to the future.