Rihannsu
# 21
01-18-2013, 06:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by twg042370 View Post
Yet even Kirk, who had understandable reasons for his prejudice, grew out of that darkness.

Reaching enlightenment could make for excellent drama. I wish they'd do that for this game, to be honest, instead of brushing aside the fact that you slaughtered a base full of Romulan civilians.
It's hard to put into words just how much I wanted to kill Zelle......

I like the idea of showing events from the old Timeline from a different POV.

Kinda like a CSI: Las Vegas to CSI: Miami.... Same timeline, same country, different area, thus different challenges.

As for Where/When? There's a lot of possibilities. Maybe set around DS9 while Voyager was in the Delta Quadrant? Maybe the other side of the Federation during TNG?
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Captain
# 22
01-18-2013, 07:41 PM
Quote:
Yet even Kirk, who had understandable reasons for his prejudice, grew out of that darkness.

Reaching enlightenment could make for excellent drama. I wish they'd do that for this game, to be honest, instead of brushing aside the fact that you slaughtered a base full of Romulan civilians.
And to be honest, I don't mind Kirk's prejudice. Even then, he admitted during the movie that he was growing old and wasn't the best person he could be.

What I have a problem with, is when the Federation as a whole takes this stance. Individuals being less then the best they can be, I don't mind. Society as a whole being less then the best they can be, That I mind. At least for Star Trek.

That is the issue here. Society (in this case, the Federation) has had the time to evolve from that, we should be past the whole, "They are our enemy, let them all die"
Captain
# 23
01-18-2013, 07:46 PM
"Admril Zelle, why are you rubbing your hands and cackling maniacally?"

"You shut up and shoot those pregnant Romulan women."

"You're the boss."

Anyway, societies are "organic" in their development and death. I can't see the Federation being exempt from this any more than Rome was or the west today. Also the time wars already showed that the era was pretty broken as far as morality is concerned.

Last edited by twg042370; 01-18-2013 at 07:49 PM.
Rihannsu
# 24
01-19-2013, 07:09 AM
Quote:
"Admril Zelle, why are you rubbing your hands and cackling maniacally?"

"You shut up and shoot those pregnant Romulan women."

"You're the boss."

Anyway, societies are "organic" in their development and death. I can't see the Federation being exempt from this any more than Rome was or the west today. Also the time wars already showed that the era was pretty broken as far as morality is concerned.
that was one of the few missions where I would have actually shot to kill IRL.... Yeah, Kill ZELLE!

I guessed that she was a traitor halfway through the missions, but... no branching story there...
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Ensign
# 25
01-19-2013, 09:02 PM
Back to the original idea, I like it, and it's not completely impossible. A number of series have done it before (the only one which comes to mind right now is "Dead Man's Gun" although that's probably not the best example) with limited success. The downsides being finding enough actors who would be willing to do a Star Trek series, although with aliens at least you could just change the make-up and species and it would be harder to tell when they were re-using actors. They could even re-use some characters, in different/parallel stories. In regards to costume costs, as long as they didn't swing around too wildly costumes could be re-used, or at least some bits and pieces could. The plus side would be that there wouldn't be any shortage of stories and it would really take a lot of work to make a series like this repetitive. (as is seen in the example I used earlier, hence why I have reservations about using it)

Over all I highly doubt it will happen (just like I highly doubt anyone on here will ever listen to me ) but here's hoping I'm wrong... (in both regards)
Captain
# 26
01-20-2013, 02:33 PM
It would be great if it showed a different side of the alien races. Sometimes I feel that Trek does racial profiling of its aliens Cardassians are always dishonest, Romulans are deceptive, Ferengi are always greedy or dumb etc. I think it could make the viewer feel like racially profiling people in the real world.
Play more STO Foundry! (You can thank me later.)

A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM in the SIRIUS SECTOR
Captain
# 27
01-20-2013, 02:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegepark2151 View Post
That sounds interesting in theory but I have my doubts about it working in practice. Pretty much every Trek series and really any TV series took a couple of seasons to find its groove and really take off. I'm not sure a scripted show without a weekly returning cast could ever really find its place before being cancelled. Just my two strips of GPL.
the last anthology based show that really did well was probably Police Story from the 1970s.

personally I'd lvoe it, but it just would not fly in the todays world of tv Icons
Starfleet Veteran
# 28
01-20-2013, 03:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmagnusonx View Post
I've been a fan of Star Trek since the late 80's when my older brother got me hooked on TNG. Since then I've watched all of the series in full, yes even the animated and have enjoyed them all. However, one thing about the Trek movies and shows that I've always found lacking, is any sort of insight in to what else is going on out in the universe. What's happening on Earth? What are the politics of the core Federation worlds, what's happening with newly accepted races and their integration in to the Federation? What's happening on other ships and with other "heroes" of the Federation? What's life like on a Klingon or Romulan ship? How would they handle some of the same or similar situations differently than the Federation? Etc, etc.

So I've had this idea in my head for a while now and I'm curious what others think about this. How about a Trek show that doesn't focus on the same crew every week? How about a "Tales of the Trek" show, in which every week it's a different story? A different crew, a different ship, a different world? One week could follow an Ambassador and his struggle to find compromise between two species. Another week could follow a Klingon ship and crew and their encounter with The Borg or a Crystalline Entity. The next week could be a Romulan politician plotting the assassination of a competing Senator or Governor so that he may usurp his role. Another week could follow a Federation medical ship and its mission of aid to an ailing world.

The possibilities are literally endless and I really feel that it would be a great way to both expand and fill in an already immense franchise. Think of the new and varying heroes and villains that could be introduced. Think of the interesting takes that could be done in showing how the Romulans or Klingons or Cardassians would deal with issues and events in a different way than the Federation. This would also be a great way to introduce characters, ships and events from the books on to the screen.

Now that's not to say that some episodes wouldn't have repeat appearances of characters and locales, just that not every week would be following the same crew. You could easily introduce reoccurring characters, ships, worlds and events. You could even do episodes on the same event, but from the perspective of different crews or species. If fans take a liking to a particular character or set of characters you could easily write more episodes that feature them, but still keep things fresh by continuing to introduce different characters and settings each week.

I just wonder what other Trek fans think about this idea? Is this something you?d be for or against?
I think the next Trek, should be "StarFleet Command" and focus, on one individual's entire career, beginning in the Romulan war and establishment of the Neutral zone, and culminating in the TOS era. Showcasing many ships and crews, through the ages, and the horrors of war. It would show the individual captain making the hard calls of who lives, and who dies. The last episode would end, with the now, Admiral's, estranged, son recieving a commission aboard the NCC-1701.
Captain
# 29
01-22-2013, 02:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolninspace View Post
It would be great if it showed a different side of the alien races. Sometimes I feel that Trek does racial profiling of its aliens Cardassians are always dishonest, Romulans are deceptive, Ferengi are always greedy or dumb etc. I think it could make the viewer feel like racially profiling people in the real world.
This was one of the few things that I liked about DS9. It did show a lot of different sides to the alien races.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.