Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,005
# 81
01-20-2013, 04:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ussdelphin2 View Post
If that design of the Oddy featured on one of the shows.... far far in the background of a space battle..... and someone got a picture of it... zoomed it in and it was pixelated and blurred... people would want it in the game
This is actually a very fair point, considering how often I've seen people ask for Freedom or Niagara-class ships added to the game.

At least I've seen people mostly opposed to the Yeager being added.

Last edited by thratch1; 01-20-2013 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Removed hot-links. (and also part of my post!)
Captain
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 536
# 82
01-20-2013, 04:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thratch1 View Post
This is actually a very fair point, considering how often I've seen people ask for Freedom or Niagara-class ships added to the game.

At least I've seen people mostly opposed to the Yeager being added.
Images were blocked. So I fixed the links. They now lead to the info pages.

I'd be the opposite of that. I like the Yeager but I would go against the Niagara or the Freedom to be added as playable ships. Maybe as NPC ships though. One of the Defiant prototypes would be pretty nice to see as well.

Last edited by xigbarg; 01-20-2013 at 04:33 PM.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,502
# 83
01-20-2013, 05:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurianstar View Post
But this Mod-Odyssey uses Ringed Warp Nacelles that are not standared with any Starfleet Vessel from the beginning all the way to the 26th Century.
note that we use Transwarp and Slipstream drives regularly by now, but still have the Nacelles that represent outdated oldschool Warp Drives as if nothing ever changed.

IMHO with those new drives a visual representation that goes along with it would be nice.

Transwarp has these gates, that STO uses the gates horribly inconsistently is sad but true.
(very disappointed in the lack of technobabble in STO, i don't just want a "load this map"-button, i want to know how the friggen tech behind it is supposed to work!)

I am not saying that the Vulcan Warp ring approach is the perfect solution... but it certainly looks different enough, and who is to say that a circular drive like that wouldn't increase Slipstream tunnel building effectiveness ;P


And btw. the Odyssey as in STO shoots is rear beams from the end top tip of it's nacelles... and that is just horrible. HORRIBLE!
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,483
# 84
01-20-2013, 06:00 PM
I am not big on it but there some great images in there of 1701 and 1701-A.
Age StarTrek-Gamers Administrator
USS WARRIOR NCC 1720 Commanding Officer
Star Trek Gamers
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,117
# 85
01-20-2013, 07:10 PM
To replace the Odyssey, No. I wouldn't mind seeing a ring-nacelle Starfleet vessel in the game. This ship, I would say needs refinement.

If you are going to design something or promote something to be sold, don't insult the buyers.
Survivor of Romulus
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 358
# 86
01-20-2013, 07:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psiameese View Post


I believe that Adman Ihle, the artist behind the Odyssey's winning design, did later render a variant using a warp-ring. It was better integrated into the design than the one in the OP.
Aye, and it was integrated into the neck for saucer separation. Ah, what could have been...
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,416
# 87
01-20-2013, 08:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ussdelphin2 View Post
Fair point, I forgot about the people that are easily offended.

What I should have said is something like, It amazes me that the followers/fans of a franchise that is supposed to progress, to show us new things....... a franchise that is supposed to "move forward" would rather it stay in the past, never change, never move forward.

Gene Roddenberry had one simple thing when it came to starships with his series, "Starfleet Vessels had to be immediately identifiable".

You get a bunch of Star Trek fans, show them that picture and the first thing in their minds is "Vulcan Ship" because of that Warp Ring. But you show them a baddly drawn ship with a saucer and some warp nacelles, and the first thing you think of is "Federation Starship".

A good example of this was in Futurama when they had that race between George Takai and Scott Bakula in very crudely drawn ships, and people immediately knew they were ships from Star Trek.



As for progression, nobody is against progression. Just don't mess with the basics and start throwing kitchen sinks in the design because "it looks cool".

Quote:
Originally Posted by ussdelphin2 View Post
If that design of the Oddy featured on one of the shows.... far far in the background of a space battle..... and someone got a picture of it... zoomed it in and it was pixelated and blurred... people would want it in the game, but because its not we have people who don't want it because it has a curved/arched nacelle........ My opinion is it would make a good alternative skin to the Oddy.
But it's not.

As I said, I personally would like Cryptic to focus their assets in getting the remaining canonical ships and other art assets in STO than wasting thousands of dollars in trying to buy design copyrights from that guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerobang View Post
note that we use Transwarp and Slipstream drives regularly by now, but still have the Nacelles that represent outdated oldschool Warp Drives as if nothing ever changed.


IMHO with those new drives a visual representation that goes along with it would be nice.

Transwarp has these gates, that STO uses the gates horribly inconsistently is sad but true.
(very disappointed in the lack of technobabble in STO, i don't just want a "load this map"-button, i want to know how the friggen tech behind it is supposed to work!)

I am not saying that the Vulcan Warp ring approach is the perfect solution... but it certainly looks different enough, and who is to say that a circular drive like that wouldn't increase Slipstream tunnel building effectiveness ;P



And btw. the Odyssey as in STO shoots is rear beams from the end top tip of it's nacelles... and that is just horrible. HORRIBLE!
When Rademaker was making the Vesta, he specifically said his nacelles were meant to integrate the slipstream system. And he went back and forth with Eaves, Drexler, Okuda, Probert, etc. Then there is the ship that gave us slipstream, the Dauntless, that too had nacelles.

And with Transwarp, do I need not remind you of the Borg. Giant Cubes in space? I really don't think design has anything to do with that sysytem.


So with all due respect, it's presumptuous to say a fan-designed ship trumps what was already established with cannonical designs.

Last edited by azurianstar; 01-21-2013 at 02:22 AM.
Ensign
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 17
# 88
01-20-2013, 11:13 PM
It's certainly not Jupiter-bad, but I don't think it's better than our current Oddy. Though, I get the impression I'm the only person other than the creator that likes the Oddy design.
_________________________________________________

Joined: Sep 2009 (damn forum reset)

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z297/MetalRacer78/Star%20Trek%20Online/SHSig2.jpg
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,005
# 89
01-20-2013, 11:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ussnighthawk View Post
It's certainly not Jupiter-bad, but I don't think it's better than our current Oddy. Though, I get the impression I'm the only person other than the creator that likes the Oddy design.
I like the current Odyssey. It's smooth, elegant, streamlined, and fits right in with other Federation designs without looking like a lot of the aggressive, angular T5 starships we had at launch.

People who don't like it probably want something that looks more lean, like the Sovereign. The Odyssey is a bulky design that is not very intimidating, but it's not supposed to be a warship so that works for it, in my eyes.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 157
# 90
01-21-2013, 12:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thratch1 View Post
I like the current Odyssey. It's smooth, elegant, streamlined, and fits right in with other Federation designs without looking like a lot of the aggressive, angular T5 starships we had at launch.

People who don't like it probably want something that looks more lean, like the Sovereign. The Odyssey is a bulky design that is not very intimidating, but it's not supposed to be a warship so that works for it, in my eyes.
Nah, I love big, bulky ships. One of my favorite STO designs is slapping all the biggest Star Cruiser parts - including the Nomad saucer - together.

The geometry of the dual necks and their interfaces with the other components make my eyes hurt.

It makes me really sad that the Odyssey fills the C-store role of the Star Cruiser, making the appearance of another one, compatible with the existing parts and lacking horrible eldritch geometry, unlikely.
SQUIRREL!
-----------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
Sarcastic Venom Award!!!!
Bitter old mollusc since before the forum change.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:41 PM.