Survivor of Romulus
# 11
01-20-2013, 10:14 PM
Ok, what resolution do I run my game at, I run 1366x768 (My native resolution). Why you may ask, it is much less harsh on my Graphics card seeing as I have windows 7. Yes I disabled Windows Aero, also yes it still does matter as jumping from 1 resolution to another, say if I open Task Manager to watch my computer struggle, I will put an undue strain on my Graphics Card. Now, yes I know it is coding, as none of those people have the same setup as I do, but suffer similar problems. I have played for a while now, (over a year) and this problem has surfaced since the last few patches. That seems to confirm that Cryptic messed something up, even the Giant White Blobs of Doom that I keep seeing are showing me Cryptic is messing up. Not my computer.
Career Officer
# 12
01-21-2013, 04:45 PM
Not sure if this is related or not, but I have also been experiencing bad video lag, and it came with Season 7. I'm using a Radeon 5770 on Windows 7 64.

It seems to be related with 'draw in'. I'm fine if I stand still in the game, but as I move around a map (particularly ground maps), the image freezes up every time new characters pop into the screen.

I've tried everything from adjusting every in game setting I can, reinstalling STO, rolling back/updating drivers, disabling background applications etc. with no success.

Other games play flawlessly, so I know it's not my hardware. I missed out on the breen ship due to this, and I'm hoping I won't miss out on the 3 year anniversary as well.
Career Officer
# 13
01-21-2013, 05:19 PM
I just built a new computer:

2 Nvidia GTX 460s (SLI)
Windows 7 Pro x64
Asus Motherboard Sabertooth z77
i7 3770-K Processor
16GB of 1600 Hz DD3 memory
10,000 RPM 6/gbs velocity raptor HD
Have used both 306.xx and 310.xx drivers and the issue remains
950 watt PSU
NOT OC'd
Running game on FULL graphics / maintains 60 FPS (limited) (except as listed below)

AND I STILL GET THE FPS LAG SPIKES. I know my computer is not anywhere close to uber, but it gets the job done very well on all my games with very little cost (since I have been building this computer for the last 2 years lol)

I notice it mostly on New Romulus and it only happens when I have certain enemies targeted. When I un-target them, it goes away. It does happen elsewhere like PvP as well. The ability that makes me lag spike is mostly the smoke grenades/shroud and again, it only happens when I have them targeted and they are using those abilities. If I don't have them targeted, no FPS lag spike at all. I am dropping to around 8 FPS when this happens.

I used to have this problem with the sci ground ability "Dampning Field" or the old ground toys "Ice Grenades" that you can throw at people while on social zones when they used to put you in a block of ice.

I also have the same lag spike with all the tholians when targeted in the underground ruins.

I know its not my system because I can get 100+ FPS almost everywhere if I wanted to. I limit the system to 60 FPS for monitor hertz reasons and to avoid "tearing" and such. I don't want to have to use vertical sync as its a graphics hog.

Seems like several patches ago it was better or it might even be the way the drivers are handling poor coding. But regardless, this needs to be fixed. Its almost like the coding for some effects are taking advantage of hardware acceleration.

I had an old program Cyberlink Powerdirector 9. When the new Nvidia 306.xx drivers came out, they broke the hardware acceleration for the program and the new drivers did something differently. Cyberlink refused to correct the problem in that version and I ended up buying the latest. The bug made it impossible to create videos in its current state. When you wanted to preview from your timeline, you couldn't want video for more than a couple of seconds and then the program would have to "render". The hardware acceleration was gone.

UPDATE: This seems to have something to do with the UI... For example if the enemy disapears behind a wall or invisiible wall that shields the UI above their head (clipping), the lag disapears. Don't know if this helps.

=/\= 106th Fleet =/\=
Website | Fleet Charter | Mission Statement | Forums | Join | F.A.Q.
Original Handle: the_orig_jean_luc_picard

Last edited by blznfun; 01-21-2013 at 05:58 PM. Reason: UPDATE
Career Officer
# 14
01-21-2013, 05:29 PM
I will be posting a youtube video to demonstrate the lag... I will attach it here when I get it rendered.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OkNf5TEfdo

=/\= 106th Fleet =/\=

Last edited by blznfun; 01-21-2013 at 07:42 PM.
Career Officer
# 15 Updated
01-21-2013, 06:14 PM
I have found the problem. Do not use Anti Aliasing 8x. There seems to be a bug with with the aforementioned post.

=/\= 106th Fleet =/\=
Survivor of Romulus
# 16
01-21-2013, 06:18 PM
or just antialiasing in general? both the top one and the bottom one under the performance tab

Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post
I find this line of replies sadly hilarious. We put a lot of work into the massive list of fixes/changes above, and ya'll are hung up on the ability to skip our content. =p
Career Officer
# 17
01-21-2013, 07:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynder2012 View Post
or just antialiasing in general? both the top one and the bottom one under the performance tab
There is only one I am aware of.

=/\= 106th Fleet =/\=

Last edited by blznfun; 01-21-2013 at 08:01 PM.
Survivor of Romulus
# 18
01-22-2013, 05:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blznfun View Post
I will be posting a youtube video to demonstrate the lag... I will attach it here when I get it rendered.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OkNf5TEfdo
do u get massive lag spikes when u use the mouse to look around? i quit playing sto cus the lag was bad turned all setting to off or low and it helps abit. but the game is unplayable.

im reduced to doffing cus my system cant run sto insane lag spike when using mouse to look around and when having a target selected just like in ur vid.

i find it amusing that my pc can handle crysis metro and other games like those but not sto ...
Career Officer
# 19
01-22-2013, 02:29 PM
I have gotten FPS drops, more so on my older system than my new one. Check to make sure you don't have vertical sync on. This is a video hog and not needed if you FPS doesn't go higher than your monitor refresh rate. If you are using a 60 htz monitor, turn off vertical sync and under troubleshooting, limit the frame rate to 60. Also try turning off the first two options under troubleshooting as well. Framerate stabilize and auto stabilize frame rate. Poor coding doesn't make these work properly and can cause your described problem as well.

=/\= 106th Fleet =/\=
Career Officer
# 20
01-22-2013, 11:41 PM
Correction, 4x does it too, just not as bad. I only drop to 20 FPS on 4x. Going to try turning off AA and just using FXAA in the Nvidia driver set and see how that works.

=/\= 106th Fleet =/\=