http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21124214
Starfleet Veteran
# 2
01-21-2013, 06:28 AM
All I can really say is lol.
Career Officer
# 3 ATARI Bankruptcy
01-21-2013, 07:01 AM
Isn't everyone glad we got off this Titanic?

http://techcrunch.com/2013/01/21/ata...gaming-assets/
Quote:
Originally Posted by jengoz View Post
Silly Rabbit, the Devs don't play the game. That's why they have no idea about the problems.
Starfleet Veteran
# 4
01-21-2013, 07:08 AM
This has been a LONG time coming. Atari is a long history of short sighted decisions, and letting Infogrames wear their skin to cover up an even worse company with an air of false nostalgia was the biggest one. Not funding the ongoing development of their MMOs was another, and their late game switch to cheap mobile games was another. That last one won't quite have the time to bite them, though, since they'll probably be gone before the console-level Android systems hit the market.

Anyone nostalgic for the Atari they knew, that company's been gone ever since the Jaguar and Lynx flopped. This is just another company using its name. No tears need be shed.
Career Officer
# 5
01-21-2013, 07:11 AM
Totally agree. I don't think I was aware of a single profitable business or game they were running. Good riddance, I suppose.

I admit I was no fan of PWE when this transition happened, and I still think STO is monetizing for the worse (at least in the long term, as big ticket store purchases are drying up quickly), but at least the lights are still on so Cryptic deserves some credit for that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jengoz View Post
Silly Rabbit, the Devs don't play the game. That's why they have no idea about the problems.
Survivor of Romulus
# 6
01-21-2013, 07:37 AM
Before this news I thought they were already long gone or sucked in to one of the giants.
I will remember them for (besides Pong) Rollercoaster Tycoon and the famous logo.
Career Officer
# 7
01-21-2013, 07:44 AM
Goodbye and good riddance, oh and Atari, can I haz ya stuff?
Starfleet Veteran
# 8
01-21-2013, 08:09 AM
no tears here guys,just thought i'd share it with all of you still never mind we're far better off now ( in a strainge way )
Republic Veteran
# 9
01-21-2013, 10:00 AM
wonder if this means anything for Dungeons and dragons online. simply cause Atari holds most of the rights to D&D games, aside from Neverswinter, most D&D video games have tha Atari logo attached to them....
Joined Sept 09.

Curse you Archived Post.... you stole all my Ideas.
Survivor of Remus
# 10
01-21-2013, 10:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenkari View Post
wonder if this means anything for Dungeons and dragons online. simply cause Atari holds most of the rights to D&D games, aside from Neverswinter, most D&D video games have tha Atari logo attached to them....
From what I understand, Atari still owns them. They are relatively well-known licenses, however, so I imagine they'll be picked up quickly enough should they be auctioned off. Not sure who's in a position to pick it up. Most studios don't have the funds and there are fewer and fewer "big" publishers with the scratch for it. EA seems the logical choice at any rate.