Community Moderator
# 11
01-21-2013, 10:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjohnsonva View Post
Goodbye and good riddance, oh and Atari, can I haz ya stuff?
Sorry, I hear PWE got their first, at least they got what was worth having

On a serious note - best wishes to the guys working for Atari, thoughts of the company aside times like this are scary for those working for such a company.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online Forums. My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment.
If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a 'forums and website' support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Career Officer
# 12
01-21-2013, 10:34 AM
PWI might just pick up the rest.
...... DaveyNY ...STO Forum Member since February - 2009
..............Star Trek Fan since Thursday Sept. 8th, 1966
There are No Longer any STO Veterans... We're Just People who have Played the Game for the last 4.5 years.
I Really Do Miss the little TOP Button at the bottom of the threads.
Career Officer
# 13
01-21-2013, 10:35 AM
Well, if you read the article - seems the U.S. branch of Atari is using this method to separate itself from its French parent company; as that portion of the company is floundering. Gotta love corporate maneuvering.
Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012 http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=91861979000&dateline=  1340755546
PWE Drone says, "Your STO community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
Starfleet Veteran
# 14
01-21-2013, 10:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenkari View Post
wonder if this means anything for Dungeons and dragons online. simply cause Atari holds most of the rights to D&D games, aside from Neverswinter, most D&D video games have tha Atari logo attached to them....

D&D Online isn't owned by Atari, Turbine has it licensed through Atari. Neverwinter is in the same basic position, Atari still holds the license even though they sold off the game and its developer

As Atari sells its assets, it won't completely disappear, at the very least what's left will probably end up being like Interplay is now - a holding company that still owns most of its remaining licenses, but exists only to collect license fees for its owner (The US branch of Atari plans to continue producing mobile games, which Interplay tried to for a while, but they've been going bad places with that so it's just delaying the final undeath). Turbine and Cryptic will continue business as usual with the games, just a change in who pockets Atari's share of the money.

Neverwinter Nights and NWN2 are a more interesting question. They weren't just licensed by Atari, but published and distributed. It's not uncommon for older games like that to disappear in situations like this, but more recently the holding companies that are left have been saving them through cheap digitial distribution on Steam or GOG.

Last edited by hevach; 01-21-2013 at 10:53 AM.
Career Officer
# 15
01-21-2013, 11:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hevach View Post
D&D Online isn't owned by Atari, Turbine has it licensed through Atari. Neverwinter is in the same basic position, Atari still holds the license even though they sold off the game and its developer

As Atari sells its assets, it won't completely disappear, at the very least what's left will probably end up being like Interplay is now - a holding company that still owns most of its remaining licenses, but exists only to collect license fees for its owner (The US branch of Atari plans to continue producing mobile games, which Interplay tried to for a while, but they've been going bad places with that so it's just delaying the final undeath). Turbine and Cryptic will continue business as usual with the games, just a change in who pockets Atari's share of the money.

Neverwinter Nights and NWN2 are a more interesting question. They weren't just licensed by Atari, but published and distributed. It's not uncommon for older games like that to disappear in situations like this, but more recently the holding companies that are left have been saving them through cheap digitial distribution on Steam or GOG.
I suspect PWE is on the phone with Hasbro now.

Remember how the STO license was bought up in a bankruptcy sale?

This is Cryptic/PWE's chance to cut Atari out.

It may also be a chance to get a deal on other IPs.

For example...

Gauntlet. The bulk of the rights are, I believe, with Midway. Who is basically split between Warner Bros. (who owns Mortal Kombat and would likely partner with Sony) and David Redstone. Who owns CBS Consumer Products and a good chunk of Viacom, Nickelodeon, Comedy Central, MTV, CBS, and Paramount.

What I'm saying is... Part of the Gauntlet rights are probably being auctioned off. The other half are probably available through Cryptic's business contacts at CBS. Cryptic is interested in producing non-MMO co-op games and just had a developer summit with their sister company Runic, who makes Torchlight.

I can see where now would be the time to strike for a Cryptic/Runic co-produced Gauntlet co-op game, full possession of the Neverwinter license... and maybe getting in touch with CBS while they're at it to see if TMNT's license is available, since kid-targeted MMOs are a developing field and TMNT are getting "hot" again.

And maybe tipping my hat just a bit, I think it would be smart for Cryptic to enhance and fortify its relationships with Hasbro and CBS/Redstone because those might be good buyers if PWE ever shifts strategies and wants to unload them.
Starfleet Veteran
# 16 Atari files for bankruptcy
01-21-2013, 03:54 PM
Ooops ...

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...0AQESM20130121

PWE sounds pretty good now hey?

Edit - Thanks for the merge Mods
Federation Bushrangers
Federation & Imperial Bushrangers
Looking for an Australian/New Zealand fleet?
www.bushrangers.net

Last edited by jkstocbr; 01-21-2013 at 04:06 PM.
Captain
# 17
01-21-2013, 04:00 PM
When you have a property library like Atari, how do you screw that up?
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Starfleet Veteran
# 18
01-21-2013, 04:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenkari View Post
wonder if this means anything for Dungeons and dragons online. simply cause Atari holds most of the rights to D&D games, aside from Neverswinter, most D&D video games have tha Atari logo attached to them....
OMG OMG OMG If they auction off their rights to D&D I hope to high heaven that Bethesda picks it up.

OMG That would be Epic! A new D&D game by Bethesda? Could you imagine?

The mental orgasm is killing me!!!
Career Officer
# 19
01-21-2013, 04:39 PM
Bethesda's Elder Scrolls is already cooler than DnD though....
I miss my _.
Starfleet Veteran
# 20
01-21-2013, 05:34 PM
Yeah Elder Scrolls Oblivion and Skyrim are better games than say, Baldur's Gate or Neverwinter Nights because Oblivion and Skyrim are more recent games with better game engines. Additionally, Bethesda is huge on open world exploration and the old D&D games were more linear. While yes there were places to explore in Neverwinter, you pretty much advanced from one map to the next according to the plot line. You couldn't leave the city of Neverwinter and go explore the Sword Coast, for example.

I am envisioning a full, complete map of Faerun done with the same detail as Skyrim. With all the towns and cities, and all the races and classes (or more) that NWN had. It would be the most complete vision of Dungeons and Dragons to date. At least I don't know of any games with a fully realized and explorable map of Faerun.

Bethesda has done other game worlds besides Elder Scrolls (like Fallout) so I don't see it beyond the realm of possibility. IF Atari auctioned off it's rights to D&D.