Captain
# 11
01-21-2013, 03:18 PM
I never said that was a good use of time. Don't invent things I never even implied by the wildest stretch of the imagination.

The ESD chat is basically an organized activity in expressing that the ignore feature is awesome, as far as I'm concerned.
Career Officer
# 12
01-21-2013, 03:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by linyive View Post
When the General Manager decided to ignore the trolls, the role-playing craze on Drozana was quickly brought to an end. As a result of activist players discriminating against the practice, (harassing role-players with various snowballs, extinguishers, and standing in protest), the role-players on Drozana had no choice but to go into hiding.
Understandably, it's hard to define using social items in a social location as 'harassment'. Even though many who do it are specifically doing so to perturb RPers, I doubt the GM's can find reason to crack down on something that could theoretically be done by someone who just really enjoys the use of fire extinguishers on Drozana. As long as the disturbers aren't following players around, or barraging with private messages, it probably can't be formally defined as harassment.

It's like if some loud groups of hooligans decided to go to a local park that had previously been used for quiet reading and romantic picnics. Sure, the hooligans might have picked the park specifically to annoy people by playing loud games, but if the park itself doesn't have restrictions on [non-harassing] behavior, they have as much a right to be there as the annoyed parties. It's a shame that the location doesn't have the benefits it once did, and profoundly disappointing that some would make it their goal to spoil others' fun, but just standing on a bar and shooting smoke is still a 'valid' activity in STO.

Maybe the GM's could institute 'behavioral guidelines' for specific zones, but this would be rather irregular and hard to enforce. Even if they cracked down on following RPers from table to table and turned off party poppers, the disturbers would find a way to stand or jump all over the map and still ruin immersion. I think a good solution would be a foundry-created social map, so get on that tech, Cryptic!

Last edited by denizenvi; 01-21-2013 at 03:34 PM.
Captain
# 13
01-21-2013, 03:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsurutafan01 View Post
I never said that was a good use of time. Don't invent things I never even implied by the wildest stretch of the imagination.

The ESD chat is basically an organized activity in expressing that the ignore feature is awesome, as far as I'm concerned.
Alright...

Quote:
Spamming public game chat is not a hobby. Public roleplay is ridiculous, and really quite rude.
So that's not you saying that roleplayers need to stay in a closet simply because you don't approve of them?
Starfleet Veteran
# 14
01-21-2013, 04:16 PM
Nice article. I don't personally Role Play and I don't think the mechanics of STO help RP's out - its more of a amusement park. I do however play main character to live in the STO/Star Trek universe (uniform, ships etc).
Federation Bushrangers
Federation & Imperial Bushrangers
Looking for an Australian/New Zealand fleet?
www.bushrangers.net
Captain
# 15
01-21-2013, 05:42 PM
To be honest, I got pulled into roleplaying unintentionally. A Caitian on Bajor asked me for parental advice, and I did not know she was asking in character until a long time later. () And then recently, us members of the Ferasan Shadow Force have discovered some real fun in spending spare time at the Hathon Bar. ()
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Star Trek Online, often abbreviated as STO, is a massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG)
So that almost means that you need to roleplay at least once during your life on STO. You do not need to do nothing else BUT roleplay, just as long as you do it once or twice during your career.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkrik23 View Post
I've never been able to find a good place to RP here, until they told me.
Bajor is a halfway decent place to roleplay, most of the time.

I completed a 2-man CSE, ISE, and KASE, Optionals included. And I soloed Winter Invasion.
My Ship Builds: USS Conqueror, HMS Victorious, HMS Concord, ISS Queen Elizabeth, Black Widow III

Click here to view my DeviantArt.
Career Officer
# 16
01-21-2013, 06:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by danqueller View Post

Primary ships don't tend to get destroyed in Star Trek until the script calls for it, so why would it be different in STO? This is especially true when the ships have multiple damage-control systems that go into effect once the ship has taken enough damage that it is out of action (warp core shutdown, emergency forcefields, ect). It's quite common for a ship that has been disabled to still be in good condition for towing or salvage, and all ships come with multiple escape pods that the crew can use if the ship is doomed.

Many, many ways to deal with this.
Sounds exactly like a 10-second "respawn" timer...
Career Officer
# 17
01-21-2013, 06:22 PM
Nice article.

I've role played in Trek games and other games for years now. Never really been able to get into it in STO though, it's a little too focused on the annihilation of every species you meet for me to properly enjoy role playing in it. However, that said, I have had a few good experiences with some people I know from other Trek RP games in here.
Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since Beta.
Problem with your power tray? Try this, it worked for several of my characters.
Click for Stats
Republic Veteran
# 18
01-22-2013, 02:17 AM
I have been fairly active in RP on here since I joined. I always RP in the "local" chat as not everyone monitors Local closely. If there are many Non-RP'rs around we use TEAM or a channel specifically set up.

I know folks who have RP'd the loss of characters or ships, death and loss is an established part of the Star Trek Lore. Which brings me to Marie's Rules Of RP (or how not to annoy Marie

1) Know your lore. Few things annoy me more than someone RPing as the Over Powered Glory Seeking Prince From The Tiny Enclave On The Far Edge Of Space Who Demanded His Very Own Galaxy Class Ship As Tribute. Or folks who come in and start RPing that they are in the Mass Effect universe... Or whinging that there is no Independent/Rogue faction...

It's Star Trek. There is plenty of lore out there to work with. Don't come into an RP setting without at least a working knowledge of the franchise.
This leads to point #2.

2) Starfleet is the Federation Army/Navy/Airforce/Coast Guard. While primarily tasked with PEACEFUL EXPLORATION of space and beyond, we are at war. Have been for quite awhile according to the in-game lore. What may have been acceptable during peace-time is not going to cut it now. That said, not everyone needs to be macho-grande-supreme or someone who's John Wayne'd all the "Indians" into submisison....

...However RPing as as some whiny emo brat who is crying in a bar because people are mean to him/her isn't going to cut it! You would have never survived boot with that attitude let alone reached this stage in your career. ESPECIALLY during war-time!

3) Flag Officers: Repeat after me: Admirals DO NOT drink in dive bars and complain about classified projects that they are working on. Flag Officers either go to bars set aside for them and others of their rank, or they attend private functions. In real life I would have been shocked and likely to call the MPs if a Rear Admiral was spotted at Delmars off base.... it's just not done. Not everyone RPs at flag rank but I've seen enough folks who do who ignore or are oblivious to what a flag officer really is. This brings me to Point #4.

4) THERE ARE OTHER SOCIAL ZONES BESIDES THE BARS. I cut back on my RPing because most of the folks I was hanging with want to RP at the bar, over drinks. I am social enough that I can do that in real life should I so desire... I do NOT need to RP it. Also, there are social zones on Andor, Vulcan, Risa, and a few other station locations besides DS9. Starbase 39 is very under used, as is K7. The Captains Table sits empty most days.

GET RP OUT OF THE BARS AND BOLDLY GO. THAT'S WHAT STAR TREK IS ALL ABOUT.

An entire blog could be written with RP ideas set within existing game assets... in fact I may just do that.
-------------
ISE ISE Ba-bee. "If you got the Borg yo... I'll solve 'em check out this shot while my torpedos dissolve 'em"
Lt. Commander
Quote:
Originally Posted by psiameese View Post
Great blog and a nice introduction to the concept of roleplay on the Holodeck shard.

When the game blows up my starship, I just assumed it was disabled and ignored by my adversary long enough for my heroic crew to restore systems. Or maybe we were towed from the battlefield? Maybe no one died at all. Or maybe a Bridge officer died when the player chose to replace them with a better quality mission reward? What's nice about roleplay is that the possibilities are endless.
Or retreating by Cloaking... only to return and Strike Back! Well said Psia! Each and every character i've made has a story (Bio), and some of my BOffs do as well! My main char is also my 1st Trek-persona, which grew out of my trek-related gaming, hobby of building model ships and my early convention experiences--way back in 1986! Thus far 3 of my Captains and at least 2 or 3 BOffs are his sons.

Also i've taking to using BOffs as plot threads, weaving together my 'prime' and cross-continuity chars with the greater fabric of STO's metaplot/metastory....
Sarvour ShipyardsSarvour Shipyards
=@=Commodore Joshua Daniel Sarvour, S.C.E.
U.S.S. AKAGI NX-93347, Enterprise-class Battle Cruiser =@= U.S.S. T'KORA'S WRATH NX-110047, Odyssey-class Battle Cruiser

"There Ain't No Grave, Can Hold My Body Down..."

Last edited by sarvour0; 01-22-2013 at 03:09 AM.
Ensign
# 20
01-22-2013, 05:27 AM
Roleplay keeps MMOs alive. True Story.
http://sigs.enjin.com/sig/enjin-305813-1323824656375474800-gray.png