Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 891
# 111
01-22-2013, 05:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
You think so? With the thought of them running out of plots I didn't know whether to laugh in shame or cry out of pity.
I would say that they definitely had a little of their creepiness back.

My problem with the episode is with how Phlox (sp?) treats himself with radiation and is fine again. These are supposedly circa 2390 Borg that were defrosted, assimilated some new guys, who then started to assimilate Phlox, right?

So nobody in the TNG era ever tried to beat assimilation with radiation? Eh?
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,957
# 112
01-22-2013, 06:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
You think so? With the thought of them running out of plots I didn't know whether to laugh in shame or cry out of pity.
Have to admit, that's probably my favorite Borg episode, and agree with the above comment that it made the Borg scary again, rather than Janeway's punchbag. If anything, I think it was probably scarier for the audience, than it was 'in universe', because as the audience, we know exactly what the Borg are capable of. As far as Archer and the Happy Gang were concerned, this was just a bunch of gimped-up Tarkaleans to overcome, with no knowledge of what they were actually dealing with, and they were only able to deal with the drones they encountered as they were partially assimilated, and because the ship was being modified, not a regular cube. Had the NX-01 come up against a fully crewed cube, it would have been in serious trouble.
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,957
# 113
01-22-2013, 06:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by boglejam73 View Post
So nobody in the TNG era ever tried to beat assimilation with radiation? Eh?
How else do you think Doctor Crusher got all the Borg garbage out of Captain Picard after the cube was destroyed? Might've happened 'off screen', but it's plausible that Phlox's treatment remained on file for treating 'cybernetic infection'
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 10,556
# 114
01-22-2013, 06:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusdkane View Post
Have to admit, that's probably my favorite Borg episode, and agree with the above comment that it made the Borg scary again, rather than Janeway's punchbag. If anything, I think it was probably scarier for the audience, than it was 'in universe', because as the audience, we know exactly what the Borg are capable of. As far as Archer and the Happy Gang were concerned, this was just a bunch of gimped-up Tarkaleans to overcome, with no knowledge of what they were actually dealing with, and they were only able to deal with the drones they encountered as they were partially assimilated, and because the ship was being modified, not a regular cube. Had the NX-01 come up against a fully crewed cube, it would have been in serious trouble.
I agree. They only had to deal with a few hastily modified individuals and a small retrofitted transport. Though they did have Borg adaptive shields....

Yeah, Phlox's treatment did nothing but disable the nanites.... on a fully assimilated individual it wouldn't work.
HAIL HYDRA!
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Show Archon and Borticus how much you would like to see new Doff races!
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,957
# 115
01-22-2013, 03:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
I agree. They only had to deal with a few hastily modified individuals and a small retrofitted transport. Though they did have Borg adaptive shields....
I would suggest that maybe the implants which generate the adaptive shields are the first ones to be internally replicated, but that was clearly not the case with Lieutenant Hawk (Although to be fair, the Tarkaleans were infected much longer than Hawk was...) Either way, I think more fully assimilated drones on board, or an encounter with an intact cube, and it would've been game over for the crew of the NX-01...

Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
Yeah, Phlox's treatment did nothing but disable the nanites.... on a fully assimilated individual it wouldn't work.
I disagree. The first step in de-assimilating an individual once they're separated from the collective is to prevent further implants being internally replicated, or any removed implants being replaced. Shutting down the nanoprobes is the logical step in preventing that technological regeneration, so shutting down the nanoprobes would logically be the first step for a physician to take before attempting to start removing major hardware
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 10,556
# 116
01-22-2013, 05:51 PM
It might work as part of a treatment protocol, but, clearly this was NOT done to Seven, Picard, maybe. My thought is that the actual implants probably have the ability to generate more.

The overall point I was trying to make is that this is a medical procedure not something that can be used as a weapon.
HAIL HYDRA!
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Show Archon and Borticus how much you would like to see new Doff races!
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 9,473
# 117
01-22-2013, 06:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
It might work as part of a treatment protocol, but, clearly this was NOT done to Seven, Picard, maybe. My thought is that the actual implants probably have the ability to generate more.

The overall point I was trying to make is that this is a medical procedure not something that can be used as a weapon.
Which just reeks of lazy writing to me.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
HI HO, HI HO. OFF DUTY SLOT NEEDS TO GO!

"It's better to ask a dumb question, than to remain an idiot forever."
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 10,556
# 118
01-22-2013, 07:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
Which just reeks of lazy writing to me.
Um, it's sci-fi. Is there a reason you were expecting a lack of McGuffins?
HAIL HYDRA!
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Show Archon and Borticus how much you would like to see new Doff races!
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 9,473
# 119
01-22-2013, 07:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
Um, it's sci-fi. Is there a reason you were expecting a lack of McGuffins?
Using tropes is not a sign of bad writing. A McGuffin is just as valid a trope as any other.


No, it was just a rather poorly done retcon. As much of ENT was.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
HI HO, HI HO. OFF DUTY SLOT NEEDS TO GO!

"It's better to ask a dumb question, than to remain an idiot forever."
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 10,556
# 120
01-22-2013, 07:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
Using tropes is not a sign of bad writing. A McGuffin is just as valid a trope as any other.


No, it was just a rather poorly done retcon. As much of ENT was.
How is it a retcon? First Contact is the reason they were there...
HAIL HYDRA!
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Show Archon and Borticus how much you would like to see new Doff races!
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:32 PM.