Starfleet Veteran
# 31
01-22-2013, 12:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducklesworth View Post
Best thing you could do? Set aside one instance per social zone as an RP instance. Then, have a community manager MONITOR complaints, not just the forums. If people are on the RP instance starting trouble, review the complaints, and bar offenders from that particular instance. For example, Drozana. Very often I get "nopossiblemaps" whenever I try to escape the trolls and the more...amorous RPers. What I've suggested would make it possible for the RPers to be left alone, the people who hate RP to be left in peace, and the trolls are left without a target.

Fleet starbases were kind of a step in the right direction, but not all RPers are in an RP fleet, or necessarily want to RP with their fleetmates. Not to mention, fleet starbases cannot be cross factional.
Excellent suggestions.
Vice Admiral Corris Sprint (@sprint01)
Commanding Officer - 26th Fleet [RP]
Star Trek: Praetorian Official Website
Captain
# 32
01-22-2013, 12:41 PM
Quote:
Best thing you could do? Set aside one instance per social zone as an RP instance. Then, have a community manager MONITOR complaints, not just the forums. If people are on the RP instance starting trouble, review the complaints, and bar offenders from that particular instance. For example, Drozana. Very often I get "nopossiblemaps" whenever I try to escape the trolls and the more...amorous RPers. What I've suggested would make it possible for the RPers to be left alone, the people who hate RP to be left in peace, and the trolls are left without a target.

Fleet starbases were kind of a step in the right direction, but not all RPers are in an RP fleet, or necessarily want to RP with their fleetmates. Not to mention, fleet starbases cannot be cross factional.
That's treading dangerously close to "approved" and "unapproved" RP territory, which is an absolute train wreck just waiting to happen.
Captain
# 33
01-22-2013, 12:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by denizenvi View Post
Maybe the GM's could institute 'behavioral guidelines' for specific zones, but this would be rather irregular and hard to enforce.
More and more online games (not only mmos) try to offer more freedom (yes even for trolls) .Guidlines and s*** like that would only make people feel they have to follow more rules ....so they will move to other games whichi have less "rules" .

This game already has fleets which protect (though "protect" is the wrong word) people from trolls and if you want full freedom you can go outside them.The best way to censor other people is to ignore them like you do in real every day life (I bet you dont like to go in gettos and start complaning about things you dont like there).When you plan to get into a game where are more people than your friends you should expect people you wont like for x^y reasons.

GMs should spend more time helping people who have problems with the game not trying to stop gorn jokes in zone chat .Seen that in esd zone chat a week or two ago and that was a wtf moment .

^^^ that or cryptic can turn STO into a North Korea Online Simulator.Im sure people will spend money knowing that they have to memorize a list of things which can get their account banned.
Career Officer
# 34
01-22-2013, 12:45 PM
Quote:

On the environment side, this a good idea. Along with the player limits on some maps as also mentioned in this thread. Whenever I click the map name to see a dropdown of numbered instances, it would be nice to see one labeled as Roleplay. Although, the point of better GM support would need addressed for it to be worthwhile.
STO Forum:
Where the Human Adventure is Just Beginning!

Where you can also catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.
Give the Art Team time to fix the K't'inga << Link
Exploring STO Since Pavement.
Career Officer
# 35
01-22-2013, 12:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stirling191 View Post
That's treading dangerously close to "approved" and "unapproved" RP territory, which is an absolute train wreck just waiting to happen.
I'm not sure how. What I suggest is removing the inappropriate element(IE, things of a sexual nature or trolling/griefing), and not in a "ban your account" kind of way. Everyone wins this way. If you're flagged as an inappropriate RPer, then you simply do not have access to the instance provided. The RP community wins because they now have an unmolested haven to do their thing, the more graphic RP community can go to their own ship to do what they want, non-RPers just go on about their business, the trolls/griefers lose their targets without being banned, and the company continues to make money because no one's getting kicked from the game.
Captain
# 36
01-22-2013, 01:22 PM
Quote:
I'm not sure how. What I suggest is removing the inappropriate element(IE, things of a sexual nature or trolling/griefing), and not in a "ban your account" kind of way. Everyone wins this way. If you're flagged as an inappropriate RPer, then you simply do not have access to the instance provided. The RP community wins because they now have an unmolested haven to do their thing, the more graphic RP community can go to their own ship to do what they want, non-RPers just go on about their business, the trolls/griefers lose their targets without being banned, and the company continues to make money because no one's getting kicked from the game.
You've literally made my point for me. Making value judgements about who's stories or RP style are "worthy" about being out in the open is not the role of any moderator. Is some content, approaches or subject matter not necessarily ideal for public consumption? Absolutely, but that's something that should be dealt with person to person, and group to group, not by a system with the power to ban folks from interacting with other segments of the community.

Introduce an all powerful overlord with uncontested power, and it inevitably ends up being used as a weapon between various sub-groups.
Career Officer
# 37
01-22-2013, 01:41 PM
Quote:
You've literally made my point for me. Making value judgements about who's stories or RP style are "worthy" about being out in the open is not the role of any moderator. Is some content, approaches or subject matter not necessarily ideal for public consumption? Absolutely, but that's something that should be dealt with person to person, and group to group, not by a system with the power to ban folks from interacting with other segments of the community.

Introduce an all powerful overlord with uncontested power, and it inevitably ends up being used as a weapon between various sub-groups.
Okay, by inappropriate, I clearly mean griefing and overtly sexual behavior. Basically, put it this way: As it stands now, if I troll or graphically depict sexual scenarios on the forums, I will get banned. If I troll or graphically depict sexual scenarios in game, the general consensus seems to be "ignore them and they'll go away." But they're not going away. It's getting worse every day.

I guess I just disagree with you on principle, though I respect your opinion. No, I don't believe that the groups I mentioned are "worthy (of) being out in the open." We do have to remember that people of all ages play this game.

I do not believe that a separate RP instance and more of a GM presence in social zones is a "train wreck waiting to happen," it's a staple in most MMOs out there, including and especially the largest one in the world.
Starfleet Veteran
# 38
01-22-2013, 01:51 PM
All any moderator would need to do really is enforce the current EULA.
Vice Admiral Corris Sprint (@sprint01)
Commanding Officer - 26th Fleet [RP]
Star Trek: Praetorian Official Website
Captain
# 39
01-22-2013, 02:01 PM
Quote:
Okay, by inappropriate, I clearly mean griefing and overtly sexual behavior. Basically, put it this way: As it stands now, if I troll or graphically depict sexual scenarios on the forums, I will get banned. If I troll or graphically depict sexual scenarios in game, the general consensus seems to be "ignore them and they'll go away." But they're not going away. It's getting worse every day.
Which is an issue that vanishes for you the instant the five person barrier is broken on foundry maps.

Quote:
I guess I just disagree with you on principle, though I respect your opinion. No, I don't believe that the groups I mentioned are "worthy (of) being out in the open." We do have to remember that people of all ages play this game.

I do not believe that a separate RP instance and more of a GM presence in social zones is a "train wreck waiting to happen," it's a staple in most MMOs out there, including and especially the largest one in the world.

You're confusing a GM whose role it is to ensure things like harassment don't occur, with a GM whose role it is to monitor a roleplaying space and take action against people who are "unfit" to be in that space (which by the way is what you're advocating). No MMO that I'm aware of has anything resembling the latter.

Secondly, what makes your RP any more appropriate than anyone else's (we're going to go on a little rhetorical journey here, none of this is meant as any kind of attack or insult)? Why should your actions be sanctioned while someone else who prefers a different approach or style be actioned against? What makes you right, and them wrong?

The answer to all of that, is of course nothing. RP is RP. Simply because you don't like what someone else is doing doesn't change that fact.
Career Officer
# 40
01-22-2013, 02:16 PM
Quote:
You're confusing a GM whose role it is to ensure things like harassment don't occur, with a GM whose role it is to monitor a roleplaying space and take action against people who are "unfit" to be in that space (which by the way is what you're advocating). No MMO that I'm aware of has anything resembling the latter.
No, I'm not, on either counts. As I said in previous posts, respectfully, is that we need more of a GM presence, and a separate instance. Violations of the EULA such as (wow, said this alot today) overtly sexual behavior and trolling/griefing should NOT be allowed in public space. Simple as that.

In fact, I'll just leave this here. This is an example of what other MMOs do, and what should be done in STO. http://wow.joystiq.com/2010/08/04/bl...ssment-erotic/

Last edited by ducklesworth; 01-22-2013 at 03:21 PM.