Ensign
Massively is having a voting contest between STO and LotRO.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/01...ine/#continued

I'm not sure what it's about really, but I couldn't just stand by and let LotRO out Twitter us. They're ahead 4152 to 1597. They're all smug on their forum, don't let them get away with it!
Starfleet Veteran
# 2
01-22-2013, 09:36 PM
Damn they really overtook us. Oh well, I am playing the game I like to play. LOTR is just another fantasy MMO that puts me to ... zzzzzzz .... snorrrr
Federation Bushrangers
Federation & Imperial Bushrangers
Looking for an Australian/New Zealand fleet?
www.bushrangers.net
Survivor of Romulus
# 3
01-22-2013, 09:37 PM
STO

1603 (27.8%) now.

Gogogo!
Captain
# 4
01-22-2013, 09:53 PM
I know people will hate me for saying this, but if I were to vote, my vote will be for Lord of the Rings Online. Turbine is all about content in everything they do in LotRO, even their business model. With cryptic it is like having wisdom teeth broken out of your jawbone with no anesthetic to get them to add a single bit of playable content that is not wrapped in a massive grindfest.

Both LotRO and STO are free to play games with a subscription option. And speaking only for myself, I think that Turbine goes further with LotRO in their attempt to achieve their fullest potential than Cryptic does with STO. I've spent money in LotRO's cash shop since it went free to play. I have not spent a dime in STO's...

LotRO offers stuff I WANT to spend my own money on. STO does not.

Sorry if I'm not a big enough fanboy. But I have to call it like I see it. Free to Play for both LotRO and STO means that I can enjoy both games. If they both still required a subscription, I would be subscribed to LotRO...

Sorry guys.

EDIT:
I just cast my vote as indicated above.
I'm not really a John Galt,
but I play one on the forums...

Last edited by sirsitsalot; 01-22-2013 at 09:56 PM.
Ensign
# 5
01-22-2013, 09:59 PM
Thanks for voting or considering it. I've played LotRO since before launch. There is nothing wrong with that game, but I think STO is a much better game and offers a lot more value. Plus Turbine always mobilizes through social media so I thought it good to get the word out.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-22-2013, 10:03 PM
Let me be clear: I enjoy STO more. But when it comes to capturing the IP, its not even close. STO is like taking all the Trek shows and putting them in a blender. Which I like, because it lets you make STO whatever kind of Trek you want. But LOTRO is as accurate a depiction of what being in Middle Earth would be like as an MMO can be. The same is not true of STO and the Trek universe.
Commander
# 7
01-22-2013, 10:04 PM
no need to vote, Star trek online is better, no matter what the out come is.
Career Officer
# 8
01-22-2013, 10:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirsitsalot View Post
I know people will hate me for saying this, but if I were to vote, my vote will be for Lord of the Rings Online. Turbine is all about content in everything they do in LotRO, even their business model. With cryptic it is like having wisdom teeth broken out of your jawbone with no anesthetic to get them to add a single bit of playable content that is not wrapped in a massive grindfest.
I like both games but I agree with what you wrote here. STO has a long, long way to go in comparison to LoTRO IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
Anyone calling Valoreah a "Cryptic fanboy" must be new to the forum.
Captain
# 9
01-22-2013, 10:26 PM
Feh. LotRO has nothing really special about it. STO in spite of all it's failings and flaws has much more potential, and is much more fun.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Captain
# 10
01-22-2013, 10:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by valoreah View Post
I like both games but I agree with what you wrote here. STO has a long, long way to go in comparison to LoTRO IMO.
Well, Turbine's efforts are geared towards delivering a Middle-earth experience in LotRO. By that token, I don't want to compare to LotRO so much as I would like to see Cryptic's efforts become geared towards delivering a Star Trek universe experience.

I just don't feel like Cryptic takes the IP seriously enough.

I am an MMO fan on one hand. I am also a fan of Lord of the Rings, AND of Star Trek. So when I came to STO and to LotRO, I came as a fan of those IPs respectively. The biggest fundamental difference between STO and LotRO is that while LotRO was designed in such a way that the game's mechanics were wrapped around the IP, STO was designed in such a way that the IP was stretched around the game's mechanics.

Look at Risa... We have a beach, some hammocks and some trails to explore. We don't have the risa resort that was shown in the shows.

In Lord of the Rings Online, if I climb to the top of Weathertop, I find scorched earth, and the G-rune with the three marks that Gandalf left there. Someone who doesn't really care about Lord of the Rings likely wouldn't notice it. But anyone who calls themself a Tolkien Reader would automatically find themselvs looking for it, and smiling with pleasure at finding it.

To me it's not about which game is "better" so much as it is about which game puts forth a better effort to be true to its source material. I really wish I could say that it is STO. But as one who loves both Star Trek and Lord of the Rings, I would be lying if I did.
I'm not really a John Galt,
but I play one on the forums...

Last edited by sirsitsalot; 01-22-2013 at 11:02 PM.