Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,570
# 1 Who is CatStar? =^.^=
01-17-2013, 11:52 AM
http://catstarsto.com <-- Click this link to solve this mystery!
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 922
# 2
01-17-2013, 01:53 PM
Yuck, get rid of that background music!

I also think that, rather than trying to be all mysterious and starting off meaningless "find out for yourself" topics like these, the link to your personal website should be limited to your signature line.

Game features I'd like to see improved / expanded: Better Ship Interiors // BOff Costume Slots

Last edited by sumghai; 01-17-2013 at 01:59 PM.
Commander
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 307
# 3
01-18-2013, 06:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumghai View Post
the link to your personal website should be limited to your signature line.
Exactly.

That way you have a message within every darn post you make either way, no need to make these threads.

He's dead, Jim.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,423
# 4
01-18-2013, 07:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumghai View Post
the link to your personal website should be limited to your signature line.
Couldn't agree more.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,570
# 5
01-23-2013, 10:28 AM
If I added my website link to every post I would get accused of spamming, plus I dont want to do that. I would like to let people discover this on thier own as a pleasant surprise, I just hope no one is mislead by a couple of trolls.

Its unfortunate that I cant please everyone, but all of my other visitors havent complained yet. I monitor my website for responses and suggestions daily, and add new content every week. So if you like Star Trek and Caitians, or have a curiosity on what other forms of entertainment I have provided, click my link above and join us :3
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 132
# 6
01-23-2013, 11:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by catstarsto View Post
plus I dont want to do that. I would like to let people discover this on thier own as a pleasant surprise,
On the contrary...having your link in your sig would accomplish what you want.

People would discover this on their own as a "pleasant surprise" by coming across one of your replies that they agree with.

Making a thread dedicated to making people click on your link is not allowing people to discover it on their own.


Also...you'll notice that many people have pictures and/or links in their sig that get posted everytime they make a post. So no one will call you a troll for doing the same.
____________________________

Last edited by cdrgadley; 01-23-2013 at 11:59 AM.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 922
# 7
01-23-2013, 01:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by catstarsto View Post
If I added my website link to every post I would get accused of spamming, plus I dont want to do that. I would like to let people discover this on thier own as a pleasant surprise, I just hope no one is mislead by a couple of trolls.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrgadley View Post
On the contrary...having your link in your sig would accomplish what you want.

People would discover this on their own as a "pleasant surprise" by coming across one of your replies that they agree with.

Making a thread dedicated to making people click on your link is not allowing people to discover it on their own.

Also...you'll notice that many people have pictures and/or links in their sig that get posted everytime they make a post. So no one will call you a troll for doing the same.
cdrgadley has it right.

I administer one forum (a LEGO fan site), moderate a number of others and am a member of dozens more, so I speak from experience.

Most people stick their homepage link in their sig line, and members WILL go out of their way to find out about them because it has been advertised in a respectful manner.

I don't know about STO mods, but ANYTIME somebody on one of those forums starts a "hey chek out ma syte!one!eleven" thread, or keep sneaking links into the body of their posts ("blah blah blah, BTW, chek out ma syte"), they get axed.

Classic example was on the AVR microcontroller forums, where people would go to get help programming microchips. One guy always responded to questions with the canned line "That's easy. The answer is on my site [LINK]," when it turned out that his site A) didn't really have a relevant answer B) actually required a subscription to access code examples. The AVR admins came down real hard on the guy, and he hasn't been anywhere on the interwebs since.

On the other hand, I put my LEGO fan site in my sig line, and got some pleasant PMs from the mods wanting to know more about my site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catstarsto View Post
Its unfortunate that I cant please everyone, but all of my other visitors havent complained yet. I monitor my website for responses and suggestions daily, and add new content every week.
Advertising your website in a *proper* manner is just as important as checking the website itself for feedback.

With regards to the background music issue, an example of a STO fan site that, like nearly all decent websites, DOESN'T use music is Defera Starfleet (I have nothing to do with them).

The fact that there is no music means I am more inclined to stay longer on the site. Even their talking head splash page* avatar is OFF by default, so that regular visitors have the option of skipping it quietly.

*Splash pages are bad, but that's another story

Game features I'd like to see improved / expanded: Better Ship Interiors // BOff Costume Slots
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 656
# 8
01-23-2013, 09:21 PM
Capstar is an anti-flea med you can get from your veterinarian. It's very effective, but the duration is limited. A longer lasting treatment for fleas is....










...or wait, CATstar?


OK, never mind then.

_________________________________________________

I'm still Romulus_Prime. Joined STO in January 2010.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 11,103
# 9
01-23-2013, 11:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumghai View Post
The fact that there is no music means I am more inclined to stay longer on the site. Even their talking head splash page* avatar is OFF by default, so that regular visitors have the option of skipping it quietly.

*Splash pages are bad, but that's another story
Splash pages are terrible, horrible, no good, very bad things that deserve nothing but a cold unfeeling death in the hands of the frozen void of space.

@catstar; you might want to have a word with that blue background. It tried to burn my eyes out when I tried to visit your webpage. @_@
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.

Last edited by centersolace; 01-23-2013 at 11:59 PM.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,570
# 10
02-03-2013, 02:46 AM
I figured out how to add my own toons picture to the forums, and as requested, I added his website to the signature, but I still cant get the picture to come up for the signature. I have an idea for reviewing Foundry missions. Check out the Meowbox for details.
How Picard dealt with ARC_STO Feedback_ARC Wars time capsule
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:48 AM.