Career Officer
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,116
# 141
01-23-2013, 05:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trek21 View Post
Um, the TMP Constitution isn't the Enterprise-A They're extremely similar, yeah, but they're not technically the same ship
Still no blue nacelle glow. Nor is there the familiar red bussard collector at the front of the nacelle.
Captain Kirk is climbing a mountain. Why is he climbing a mountain? Is he learning to fly?
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 739
# 142
01-23-2013, 08:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by valoreah View Post
Screen cap of the 1701-A and there is no blue nacelle glow.

I'm happy to find more if you need them.
I was watching a video (maybe linked in this thread?) with the evolution of warp drive visuals. There was one clip that had the inner side of the nacelles on a movie Constitution (rear view, don't know if it was 1701 or 1701-A) turn blue just before going to warp, leading me to believe they would only be blue at warp or the few seconds before / after.

It was very noticeable, and it was either intentional or a grievous error on the VFX people's parts.

Edit: I should also not that the image linked above doesn't have a very good view of the inner side of the nacelles, which is what glows blue. The outer sides are always black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarathos1978 View Post
There were far better designs in the Enterprise contests and Cryptic should use those. They already implemented one (current Chimera class). I would love to see Fuzzyprise in game.
Nice, I never saw that "final draft" image. Looks good! I don't think it's quite Enterprise-ish (whatever that means for any individual person) but it is a sweet design.
Join Date: July 29 2008
Career Officer
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,116
# 143
01-23-2013, 09:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by felderburg View Post
I was watching a video (maybe linked in this thread?) with the evolution of warp drive visuals. There was one clip that had the inner side of the nacelles on a movie Constitution (rear view, don't know if it was 1701 or 1701-A) turn blue just before going to warp, leading me to believe they would only be blue at warp or the few seconds before / after.
Those warp visuals contained just about every color in the rainbow too. You'll notice red/yellow/blue/green etc. depending on the film and what VFX shop handled the visuals for the film.

Glow/no glow aside, the ship is recognizable to some Trek fans as a Starfleet ship, so the initial statement that no Trek fan would see it as such is incorrect. Starfleet ships are /were whatever the designers for the films/series wanted them to be. The Oberth didn't look anything like the Connie until we saw it in ST III. Same for the Reliant, Defiant etc.
Captain Kirk is climbing a mountain. Why is he climbing a mountain? Is he learning to fly?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 172
# 144
01-23-2013, 09:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurianstar View Post
Dude, you linked to a fanmade ship. Can't take you seriously when you do that you know.


Here shows the interior glow with the actual CGI model used in the Director's Cut for TMP. The physical model had the same.

The TOS remastered model had it too in the intercoolant region, but very faint. The original model did not have it.

Dude, you can't use the CGI models as examples. They did not exist when the ship was originally designed. Just go to the Smithsonian and you will see the engines as they were originally intended to look. Your examples are things that some computer nerd did decades after the fact to make the effects look more modern. I hate the fact that they did that, btw. The original Star Trek is a cult classic. It would be like reshooting Rocky Horror to make the lasers look more realistic or Eddy's death more gory. It takes away some of its charm.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 844
# 145
01-23-2013, 10:25 AM
my own 2 cents is that this actually looks way way better than the actual oddysey ingame.. i do not own an odyssey cause i do not think it was the most (enterprise) looking ship out of the contest.. i felt it got away from what the show and most games have been disigning towards (ie, no neck, uniboady design)..

i however would have bought this ship in a heart beat.. it is pretty sexy.. i also like the nod to vulcan design with the warp engines.. would make sense that if the federation (all species in the federation) were designing the ships, that some of these hints of other races would have been incorperated.. bravo to the person who redesigned the odyssey (belly clap) and hopefully someday we will see it ingame..
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 172
# 146
01-23-2013, 11:29 AM
This man has a Connie as his avatar. Does anyone see any blue in the engines? Anyone at all? Thank you.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 518
# 147
01-23-2013, 12:46 PM
Trying.Too.Hard.

I just want an Odyssey hull that doesnt look like a pregnant whale, maaaaaybe then Id consider buying one.
STO: @AGNT009 Since Dec 2010
Capt. Will Conquest of the U.S.S. Zorro
"Captain, the entity appears to be A New Accord"
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 844
# 148
01-23-2013, 12:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp26 View Post
This man has a Connie as his avatar. Does anyone see any blue in the engines? Anyone at all? Thank you.

i dont want to get involved. lol.. but it is also an artists rendering.. hahaha.. your both right, and your both wrong.. hows that hahaha..
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 739
# 149
01-23-2013, 01:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by valoreah View Post
Those warp visuals contained just about every color in the rainbow too. You'll notice red/yellow/blue/green etc. depending on the film and what VFX shop handled the visuals for the film.
I was referring only to the nacelles. The color of the warp isn't relevant to much except looking cool. It was just very interesting how on that particular ship the nacelles only glowed right before going to warp, not the whole time.
Join Date: July 29 2008
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,021
# 150
01-23-2013, 02:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by valoreah View Post
Screen cap of the 1701-A and there is no blue nacelle glow.

I'm happy to find more if you need them.
So am I.

Screenshot 1
Screenshot 2
Screenshot 3

Guess there was no blue nacelle glow even in TMP, oh wait!

And the funny thing, this is not the remastered model, but the original movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp26 View Post
Dude, you can't use the CGI models as examples. They did not exist when the ship was originally designed. Just go to the Smithsonian and you will see the engines as they were originally intended to look. Your examples are things that some computer nerd did decades after the fact to make the effects look more modern. I hate the fact that they did that, btw. The original Star Trek is a cult classic. It would be like reshooting Rocky Horror to make the lasers look more realistic or Eddy's death more gory. It takes away some of its charm.
Oh so official, non-fanmade, CGI models that were used in the remasteries, don't count?

Yeah, nice try .
NO to ARC!

Season 9.5 = STO's NGE is Here! Welcome to the Grind!

New Crafting = It's not Crafting, is an overblown Reputation System.

Last edited by azurianstar; 01-23-2013 at 02:55 PM.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:00 AM.