Captain
# 501
01-09-2013, 06:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurianstar View Post
You forget the MSD is basically the view of the interior along the centerline of the ship. So any extra decks that are located on the nacelles would not show.

Second, in DS9: "Way of the Warrior", "Rejoined", "Starship Down", "To the Death" refered to a Deck 5.
I concede. Although, it any case, voicesdark's suggestion of putting engineering on said deck wouldn't work anyway.

As promised, I've cobbled together a rough mockup of the Turbolift UI - I got lazy and only did the Intrepid class (MSD courtesy Eleanor Davenport of LCARS47.com):

http://sumghai.deviantart.com/art/ST...ckup-347672446

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylelocke View Post
-snip-
Quote:
Originally Posted by sudoku7 View Post
-snip-
Please refer to the proposal document on Google Docs - everything you guys have suggested has already been covered.

Game features I'd like to see improved / expanded: Better Ship Interiors // BOff Costume Slots
Career Officer
# 502
01-09-2013, 07:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumghai View Post
I concede. Although, it any case, voicesdark's suggestion of putting engineering on said deck wouldn't work anyway.
Haha as I said it was a maintaince deck, like the one Riker fought the Reman Voiceroy. Minus the mysterious chasm of death, of course.

Quote:
As promised, I've cobbled together a rough mockup of the Turbolift UI - I got lazy and only did the Intrepid class (MSD courtesy Eleanor Davenport of LCARS47.com):

That's fairly good. But I imagine the art team would be tied up having to make MSDs for every ship. And outside of the official ones for the Intrepid, Galaxy, Sovereign, and the Defiant, they would be busy making one up for every ship.

Perhaps a simple Turbolift route map like we have with the Defiant Turbolift?

I could easily see them tie it to a map change scene, where while you are loading the next dead, you see the map move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylelocke View Post
I'd like to see a functional holodeck and be able to purchase holoprograms and be able to purchase a 3D chess set or some other game from the Star Trek universe to play aboard ship. Another thing would be some variety in design for the mess hall, engine room and etc. maybe add an Excelsior bridge and Constitution class bridge skin from The Undiscovered Country? However more features would be nice to encourage people to use bridge view more often. Ability to personalise the ready room and captain's quarters.
I recall them wanting to do something with Holodecks a while back and tie it to Foundry missions, but that was a while ago.

And the Excelsior and ST6 Enterprise Sets is technically in game as the Prometheus bridge set. People forget that the Prometheus bridge set was a redress of the Excelsior bridge set, which in turn was the ST6 Enterprise set.

Change the colors, remove the carpeting, change the MSDs and presto.
NO to ARC!

Season 9.5 = STO's NGE is Here! Welcome to the Grind!

New Crafting = It's not Crafting, is an overblown Reputation System.

Last edited by azurianstar; 01-09-2013 at 07:17 PM.
Captain
# 503
01-09-2013, 07:27 PM
Quote:
]As promised, I've cobbled together a rough mockup of the Turbolift UI - I got lazy and only did the Intrepid class (MSD courtesy Eleanor Davenport of LCARS47.com):

Quote:
Originally Posted by azurianstar View Post
That's fairly good. But I imagine the art team would be tied up having to make MSDs for every ship. And outside of the official ones for the Intrepid, Galaxy, Sovereign, and the Defiant, they would be busy making one up for every ship.

Perhaps a simple Turbolift route map like we have with the Defiant Turbolift?

I could easily see them tie it to a map change scene, where while you are loading the next dead, you see the map move.
I'd think that they'd have to make all those MSDs for the bridge display anyway. Still, it's possible that they could do it as part of a staggered release schedule (Start with basic dialog box, MSD-style maps only in C-store interior costume sets.

Also, I presume you're referring to this, BTW?:

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/ar...-turbolift.jpg
(Ctrl-F5 if hotlink warning appears)

That could work as an intermediate solution (LOL at Deck 6), although in any case, either the MSD or the route map would need to be animated to justify being included in the window (not much point putting in a static banner graphic by itself).

Game features I'd like to see improved / expanded: Better Ship Interiors // BOff Costume Slots
Captain
# 504
01-10-2013, 02:17 PM
Updated the Google Doc with the addition of the turbolift access dialog. I've left out my UI mockup, until azurianstar and I can figure out something more practical for the early iterations.

In the meantime, I'd appreciate some help from you guys in compiling a list of major ship classes and what canon styling would be used for them.

e.g. The Galaxy, Intrepid, Sovereign and Defiant all have their own unique decor sets, whilst the Prometheus class is apparently a redress of the Excelsior.

Captain
# 505
01-18-2013, 02:00 PM
Expanded section on 4.5 ?Shipboard Mystery? Scenarios, with specific examples.

Quote:
4.5 "Shipboard Mystery" Scenario

Works in a similar manner to Starbase Officer of the Watch / System Patrol missions, except they take place/start on the player?s ship interior. Definitely more involved than simply ?Kill 5 enemies? or ?Scan 5 anomalies?.

These are triggered randomly when the player enters their own ship interior. They have the option of doing these missions (which reward EC/XP/Dil/CXP) or skipping them (no rewards).

Some missions could be created by Foundry authors, while others could be adaptations of real Trek episodes.

- A member of an unaligned species wishes to seek asylum. Once they arrive, mysterious malfunctions begin to happen, cumulating to deliberate sabotage, off-screen dialogue-only injury of a BOff or a death of a redshirt. Suspicions fall on the asylum seeker.

- A alien civilian seeks help in repairing his ship. While this is happening, representatives from two feuding governments appear, claim the alien as a notorious criminal, and demand that he/she be handed over to their respective side(s) (TNG: The Outrageous Okona)

- (Galaxy Class exclusive) One of the children accidentally wandered into sickbay / a medical lab and becomes infected with a pathogen. The crew must contain the infection before it overwhelms everyone and potentially spreads to other ships or planets.

- Security detects a transporter signature in various locations throughout the ship (opens a window to allow players to opt into PvE/PvP Boarding Action STFs)

- All is not all work and no play - two crewmembers getting married to each other ask you as the captain to officiate the wedding. (Very rare mission, rewards very large boost in Development CXP)

- A subspace anomaly / Negative Space Wedgie wreaks havoc with shipboard systems.

- A distress call is received from a Starfleet or KDF vessel (cross-faction available). You lead an away team to the ship, and discover the crew dead / incapacitated / struggling with a serious shipboard malfunction.

- A variant of the First Contact mission Jiro Sugihara gives you: Whilst travelling at warp, your ship encounters a never-seen-before alien vessel. One things leads to another, and next thing you know, both the Federation Diplomatic Corps and the alien government authorize you and your alien counterpart to initiate formal First Contact procedures.

- A crewman in found dead in his/her quarters or at his/her post. Determine the guilt of three or four suspects - possible outcomes include all innocent (terrible accident), all guilty of conspiring to murder this individual, one or more guilty of conspiracy, or merely negligence leading to death of victim.

- (Intrepid Class exclusive) A subspace anomaly / Negative Space Wedgie knocks your ship off-course into uncharted space - find a way back home (outcome is always successful, rewards based on the player's skill in dealing with the situation).
Thoughts? Ideas?

Survivor of Romulus
# 506
01-18-2013, 02:47 PM
To be honest, I don't think the devs need to bother with making a hugely complex interior foundry. Just do some more sets with the love and attention to detail that the TOS and Belfast interiors got.

Do these and the player base will be much happier interior wise!

TMP Connie (TWOK)
Excelsior (just switch the bridge general interior design had very little difference from connie)
TNG Galaxy (even uses some of the TWOK connie corridors!)
Intrepid
Sovereign

A bridge for the Vesta would have been nice btw! For a 3 pack ship not to have one is a bit of an insult considering that ALL the lock box ships have them.
Captain
# 507
01-18-2013, 02:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufpterrell View Post
To be honest, I don't think the devs need to bother with making a hugely complex interior foundry. Just do some more sets with the love and attention to detail that the TOS and Belfast interiors got.

Do these and the player base will be much happier interior wise!
Not necessarily.

Whilst there may be fashionistas amongst the player base who would happily buy canon interior right off the bat, most players won't make this sort of investment if they can't do anything substantial in the ship interiors.

Hence the rationale for this extensive proposal - customisable interiors that have mini-games, episodes and STFs instead of being a nice and pretty but seldom used private RP zone.

Captain
# 508
01-23-2013, 05:33 PM
centersolace recently raised an interesting point in another thread:

Some RPers quite like the notion of individual crew quarters, which can be individually customised. Whilst I'm not 100% sure if I'd want some myself...

- How many RPers and non-RPers would want this?

- If additional crew quarters were available, how much would you pay for them? (Zen? Dil?) Would they be sold individually, or in pairs like additional BOff slots? Would it be one-size-fits-all, or a range of sizes? (Senior Officer with viewport, junior officer without viewport, enlisted bunks)

- How would these be accessed / configured ? (One possibility would be to use the shipwright UI to actually pick which dummy door on whatever deck would be replaced with a real door leading to which corresponding quarter, and that when the ship interior map loads, the quarters are already dynamically and seamlessly integrated into the map)

- In the proposed boarding action arenas, the game randomly picks an interior from one of the members of the "home" team. Should personal quarters be accessible during this event?

Career Officer
# 509
01-23-2013, 07:02 PM
I'm sure lots of roleplayers would like that. Here is how I think Cryptic could pull it off.

Cryptic could add a fourth deck option in the ship interiors (free or unlocked) that becomes available when you are in a group or raid (once 20 people OP groups). And the Officer's Quarter deck (fourth deck) is just a plan hallway that each door goes to an individual of that group / party. (I.E. it's instanced to personal quarters of each player).

That way each player customize their personal quarters and have it saved to their STO account than putting the burden on one single player's account?

Quote:
I'd think that they'd have to make all those MSDs for the bridge display anyway. Still, it's possible that they could do it as part of a staggered release schedule (Start with basic dialog box, MSD-style maps only in C-store interior costume sets.

Also, I presume you're referring to this, BTW?:

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/ar...-turbolift.jpg
(Ctrl-F5 if hotlink warning appears)

That could work as an intermediate solution (LOL at Deck 6), although in any case, either the MSD or the route map would need to be animated to justify being included in the window (not much point putting in a static banner graphic by itself).
Yes, that's the one.
NO to ARC!

Season 9.5 = STO's NGE is Here! Welcome to the Grind!

New Crafting = It's not Crafting, is an overblown Reputation System.
Captain
# 510
01-23-2013, 07:47 PM
Quote:
- How many RPers and non-RPers would want this?
I'm not an RPer, but I want them for immersion.

Quote:
- If additional crew quarters were available, how much would you pay for them? (Zen? Dil?) Would they be sold individually, or in pairs like additional BOff slots? Would it be one-size-fits-all, or a range of sizes? (Senior Officer with viewport, junior officer without viewport, enlisted bunks)
I would pay either or.

Quote:
- How would these be accessed / configured ? (One possibility would be to use the shipwright UI to actually pick which dummy door on whatever deck would be replaced with a real door leading to which corresponding quarter, and that when the ship interior map loads, the quarters are already dynamically and seamlessly integrated into the map)
I would have Quarters available by default, but customizing them unlockable via account wide zen purchase, or one very small dilithium purchase. Either way I would have them available all once. Unlocking them one by one is just........ eh.....

Quote:
- In the proposed boarding action arenas, the game randomly picks an interior from one of the members of the "home" team. Should personal quarters be accessible during this event?
Absolutely.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.