Starfleet Veteran
# 11
01-23-2013, 10:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwebranflakes View Post
The background story is just to serve as a basis, and I just ask that you stay on topic. So, if this is "you" from an alternate universe, that works!

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Right--I'll see what I can come up with.
Originally KiraYamato before the Account Linking - True Join Date August 2008

"In the game of war, there are no clear rules you can follow." - Andrew Waltfeld
Captain
# 12
01-23-2013, 01:44 PM
In like Flynn on the first day!! There is plenty more to this and it's brewing but I have to work as well and the rest will get put online tomorrow

I hope you enjoy so far!
Kathryn S. Beringer - The Dawn Patrol

Solaris build - Veritatum Liquido Cernene
Captain
# 13
01-23-2013, 04:17 PM
Fantastic entries everyone I almost called a pass on this one, but figured this was the best opportunity to do this, so did it... Yes, I have namedropped...

For ease of reference/visualization, here're the actors I would cast if I was filming this tomorrow...

Marcus Kane - Matt Bomer
Rynar Lambert - Stephen Moyer
Amanda Palmer - Courtney Cox
Brandon Mayer - Jason Lewis
Darien Kane - Jeremy Irons
Survivor of Remus
# 14
01-23-2013, 04:24 PM
Oh, right. Cast list...uh...

Lt. Cmdr Shanda (Andorian): Wynona Ryder
Lt. Tarayl (Trill): Jenette Goldstein with a shaved head
Regular Khas: A garbage bag of spiders voiced by Stephen Blum.
Mirror Khas: A Pringles carton full of bees voiced by Evil Stephen Blum
Jerry "Viewscreen" Rogers: A view screen.

I think that covers it.
Captain
# 15
01-23-2013, 06:43 PM
Dangit ... cast list:

Cpt Beringer: Rachel Nichols (got reminded of her role as "Scarlett" in the GI Joe movie)
Anthi: Georgia King (it's about height and face)

I have some reading to catch up on.
Kathryn S. Beringer - The Dawn Patrol

Solaris build - Veritatum Liquido Cernene
Career Officer
# 16
01-23-2013, 06:45 PM
D'oh! Forgot my cast list as well...

Amuro Ray: Myself
Mirror Ray: Andy Murray
Zazhid: Jessica Biel
Cagalli: Zoe Saldana (voice)
Mathis: Billy Connolly
Six: Noomi Rapace
Pi: Peter Cullen
Loeba: Natalia Tena
crewman on intercom: Frank Welker
Ikuzo, Trombe!
Rihannsu
# 17
01-23-2013, 06:54 PM
Well, finally in. That one took me a while to type up. Might make for an interesting foundry mission...Anyway, something I feel I should probably explain, The Athena, as I'm sure you can tell, was named after the Ancient Greek goddess of wisdom and battle. In contrast, Minerva, the name of the ship commanded by Bryan's mirror counterpart, was the Roman version of the same deity. I figured that would be fitting as the Federation is very similar to the Ancient Greeks, more concerned with discovery than war, whereas the Terran Empire is quite similar to the Roman Empire; heavily focused on conquest and battle, thus making for a fitting contrast between Bryan and his "twin."

Also, if I were to turn this into a movie, the following would be the soundtrack:

Meeting the Minerva: Atrocity; Sound of Silence (Watchmen soundtrack)
Discussing the plans: Christopher Lennertz; Stand Strong, Stand Together (Mass Effect 3 OST)
The Battle: (artist unknown); Suicide Mission (Mass Effect 2 OST)
Ibalei's death?: Thomas Bergersen Undying Love (Legend)

And, tbh, I have NO clue who I'd cast for each of my characters
Vice Admiral Bryan Mitchel Valot
Commanding officer: Odyssey class U.S.S. Athena
Admiral of the 1st Assault Fleet
Lt. Commander
# 18
01-23-2013, 08:02 PM
My entry is here.

I got the idea for this while reading a book on World War II (D-Day by Martin Gilbert - that's where the Churchill quote came from). Then I tried to make it as outrageous as possible.

Questions for readers:
  • Was alternating between the "log entry" and third person storytelling effective?
  • Did I make it too confusing? Obviously I wanted obscure but I might have gone too far.
  • What is an ideal length for an entry like this? I'm not the most verbose writer here, but my goal is to keep it short and simple. I think this is the longest one I have posted so far.
  • I am naming the runabouts after lesser-known scientists (Linus Pauling and Max von Laue so far). Does anyone have a good recommendation for the third and final runabout on the Odyssey? Everybody has a shuttlecraft named Einstein or Hawking so please don't go there.
Survivor of Remus
# 19
01-23-2013, 10:28 PM
Sure. Nikolai Vavilov. The guarding of the Vavilov Institute against both the Germans and starving denizens of Stalingrad was a heart-wrenching tale in its own right and was the inspiration for a grindy, driving song by The Decemberists.
Captain
# 20
01-23-2013, 10:58 PM
I posted here the other day and i saw it pop up on the page, but now it's like i never posted.....

Needless to say that i'm a little confused as to what happened.

Either way i'd posted that i'm looking forward to trying to come up with something for this one since i haven't really thought about the mirror version of my crew yet. It would be interesting to delve into but it might take a few days to get a solid piece that i like together.