Rihannsu
# 51
01-23-2013, 04:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynik View Post
I'm only sorry Cryptic chose not to keep this sort of stuff for a paid mini-faction expansion. Their selling out the long-term options for short-term gain.
Yes, I am pretty sure we will be hearing Stahl lamenting the decision that will invalidated the possibility of a Dominion faction at some point in time.
Starfleet Veteran
# 52
01-23-2013, 05:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by valoreah View Post
Why bother with a Klingon mini-faction then? Or ever adding any other non-UFP faction to the game? Not to mention, there have been many episodes and films that have had non-Starfleet characters. Travis Mayweather came from a family of freight runners. Captain Sisko even married a freighter captain. We have seen traders and such on Trek many times.
The Klingons were originally put in for the PvPers. As for Mayweather, and Sisko, one is a backstory, and the other is supporting cast, respectively. Both are used for character developement, but that's about the extent of it. Let's face it, neither Voyager, or DS9, would be very exciting, if every week, you tuned in to see the next industrial replicator run. The point of Trek is to showcase all the cool, extraordinary, adventures, that the ordinary people, who are not in StarFleet, are excluded from partaking in. It's the StarFleet captains, not the frieghter captains, who save the universe. Putting that type of stuff in STO, would only make the game even more boring, than it already is, if that's possible. It would be like physically, having to play through Doff assignment grinds, with your toon.
Career Officer
# 53
01-23-2013, 07:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkilczewski View Post
Putting that type of stuff in STO, would only make the game even more boring, than it already is, if that's possible.
Boring in your opinion only. The show wasn't about Klingons or Romulans saving the universe every week either, but you've got quite a few posts on these boards asking for them.

I don't disagree that those characters are not the main cast, the fact remains there are many other non-Starfleet professions in Star Trek. Were there the ability to play these in STO, it could make for a much more vibrant in-game world. Personally I wouldn't want to play one, but I also won't begrudge those that would.
Captain Kirk is climbing a mountain. Why is he climbing a mountain? Is he learning to fly?

Last edited by valoreah; 01-23-2013 at 07:52 PM.
Captain
# 54
01-23-2013, 09:44 PM
Perhaps less are playing lock-box online

Tholian Lock box announcement thread in 3(last post) days had 22,000 views, Temporal in 8(last post) days had 23,000 views

Dominion is only at 5300 views now - so we shall see - less people on the forums - less interest in the box? less interest in the game?
Rihannsu
# 55
01-23-2013, 10:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by f2pdrakron View Post
Yes, I am pretty sure we will be hearing Stahl lamenting the decision that will invalidated the possibility of a Dominion faction at some point in time.
I'm sure he never read the story of the goose that laid the golden egg... or is familiar with the term "shooting yourself in the foot"
Empire Veteran
# 56
01-24-2013, 03:55 AM
It wasn't a big thing when the original lock box came out. A few "winners" flying around in whatever ship it was. But now I can't do an stf without everyone but me in some sort of non-ip ship and that really irks me. It completely ruins the ip and I have a hard time playing anymore.

I have never purchased a key or opened a lockbox. I buy stuff in the exchange though.
I am nearing 40 and can count all the times I gambled.
1) 1 lottery ticket 4 years ago for my wife
2) 11 years ago 23 cents on a penny slot on Las Vegas
3) 1998 a lottery ticket in came free in a happy meal
4) 1995 I spent 20$ on a slot machine in Greece and lost it all

Everyone one of those "gambles" hurt.
I cannot play a lockbox.
That and my government is making online lotteries illegal.
Put it in the zen store? Sure. Some of those ships are nice. But there is no way I will ever pay for nothing.
Captain
# 57
01-24-2013, 04:07 AM
I opened a few lock boxes trying to get the Wells, but in the end I bought one from the Exchange. Otherwise, the lock box ships haven't interested me at all, and the only reason for me to open boxes at all right now is to get enough Lobi to purchase the items I want from the store. Once I've got everything I need for this character, I probably won't bother with them any more.

Vice Admiral Laurence Corrin - USS Trafalgar
Captain Takaram ch'Rihan - USS Khellian
Captain Korax joH'a' vo'poH - USS Hartnell
General Hothkar, Son of Ta'lon - IKS oDwI'
Empire Veteran
# 58
01-24-2013, 04:16 AM
I don't mind lockboxes at all. But I don't play the lottery.
How to really behave in online forums with developers

Commander
# 59
01-24-2013, 04:28 AM
If I happen to have a lot of spare dil/ec I'll probably open a few boxes: this is a game after all and a game-of-chance on occasion is fine with me (really, the various DOff cadres are gamble-boxes as well, albeit Zen-free).
I'm not buying Zen with actual money to ever buy a lockbox key.
Will never, ever happen.

He's dead, Jim.
Captain
# 60
01-24-2013, 05:07 AM
Considering this is literally the only way KDF gets ships anymore, yes... Yes I do. Although I'm at the point where I can generally buy what I want with EC now.