Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Starfleet Veteran
# 11
01-24-2013, 01:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalnar83 View Post
The problem with beam arrays, are that they cannot be linked.

Right-Click the weapon icons to link them together in Auto-Fire. Linked weapons will get a green highlight on the icon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalnar83 View Post
There should be just way to shoot one beam instead three with 3 beam arrays, if you link them.

Push the icon for the one Beam that you wish to fire? I am guessing here as I haven't tried it myself.
Captain
# 12
01-24-2013, 01:52 AM
That's just autofire, nothing more.

What I meant, is to if you have 4 beam arrays front. You could link them to one big array, doing same dps, but with higher dmg value and less hits per volley. Something you see in movies.
Rihannsu
# 13
01-24-2013, 01:56 AM
In any case, just like the subject indicates: Something is wrong with the beams (too weak), or with cannons (too strong).

I think nobody will really doubt that... it would be nice to know the development team opinion on this...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Promote what you love, instead of bashing what you hate.
Survivor of Romulus
# 14
01-24-2013, 03:48 AM
I can pull close to 10k dps in a galor using 8 beams. (6 plasma 1 experimental romulan, 1 cutting)

it's all about the build.
Captain
# 15
01-24-2013, 03:52 AM
Personally I think a complete revamp of how the weapon model functions in the game is needed.

1) Differentiate ships more with new weapon types (e.g. Beam lance, beam turret)
2) Add new firing arcs (at least port and starboard)
3) Differentiate weapons more by optimal and maximum firing range
4) Make some weapon slots on ships require a set type. So all Federation ships would generally have at least one beam array for example.

It would be nice if ships were only firing one or two individual beams at a time, to reduce the visual clutter. If we had a weapon model more similar to the Star Fleet Command games' we'd have a lot more space for new ship types to expand into.
Rihannsu
# 16
01-24-2013, 03:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shapeywhelm View Post
I can pull close to 10k dps in a galor using 8 beams. (6 plasma 1 experimental romulan, 1 cutting)

it's all about the build.
So what is your build?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Survivor of Romulus
# 17
01-24-2013, 04:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophlogimo View Post
So what is your build?
lots of aux to battery boff powers and doffs to buff it, emergency weapon power, dem III, that on top of being an engi so I can further buff power/energy drain.
Rihannsu
# 18
01-24-2013, 04:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shapeywhelm View Post
lots of aux to battery boff powers and doffs to buff it, emergency weapon power, dem III, that on top of being an engi so I can further buff power/energy drain.
A claim like yours warrants a bit more specific answers, wouldn't you agree.
Lt. Commander
# 19
01-24-2013, 04:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by momaw View Post
Setup:
6 disruptor beam arrays
1 romulan experimental beam array
1 borg cutting beam

Target: 9.5km distant

With no attempts to mitigate power drain, average damage with the disruptors was 327.

With plasmonic leech (+2.2 power per hit, max +11) and chained Emergency Power To Weapons 1 (+22 power), average damage with the disruptors was 348.

With plasmonic leech, chained EPTW1, and 4 plasma manifolds (+14 power), average damage with the disruptors was 387.

That should be a total of +47 to weapon power.

However,
With nadion inversion, average damage with the disruptors was 487.

Just to recap, using leech and EPTW chain gained me 6% actual damage, while using every slot available for power consoles got me 18%. Turning off power drain got me 48% more damage.

Problem with beam arrays: power drain is insane and making every sensible effort to mitigate it barely helps.

How are you getting such low damage numbers o.0 are you powering them by treadmill?

This work in progress build is getting 550-650 avg damage per shot without powers active, and 1100-1250 per shot during NI+faw+omega

chol grett:
6 green xi disruptors [acc]
2 placeholder torpedoes front/back

eng: armour resists
sci: assimilated, fleet xi +tht shield emitter; zero point module
tac: 4x green xi disruptors

boff powers: tt1x2 faw2x2, apo1, apo3 ; EptS1x2, RSP1 ; HE1 HE2 TSS3;

this isnt even on a tac or with any serious effort into dps
Captain
# 20
01-24-2013, 04:20 AM
What I would love to see from those who claim beams are 'fine'.

Video of you killing the starbase in the Tau system. I can do it in all of my cannon ships but have yet to see a beam boat do it.