Republic Veteran
# 11
01-23-2013, 09:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by commadorebob View Post
Deleted scenes don't count. Honestly, the simple fact they were deleted means they weren't needed to tell the story. I don't need to wait for the DVD in order for your movie to make sense. The deleted scenes added to extended edition of LOTR expanded the story. They weren't needed to make the movie make sense.

According to the mind meld, all that Spock says is he was captured by Nero for failing to stop the destruction of Romulus. It is never explained 1) why Nero even knew about Spock, 2) Why Nero would be anywhere near Spock, 3) why Nero blamed Spock to begin with.

When someone loses a house to a fire, they don't blame the firemen. Spock stopped the explosion. Was he too late to stop the destruction of Romulus, sure. But where the hell were the Romulans. According to the movie, sitting there with their thumbs up their ass waiting to be destroyed. And Nero is going to blame the enemy of the Romulans for failing to save them in time?

With no background information, we are essentially left with the impression that Nero is blaming a specific firefighter for the loss of his home to a fire yet are never told how they know each other. Nero becomes less of a threat and more of a babbling mental patient.

But they did explain it in the movie. Kahn, in the movie says, "Kirk marooned me here." There's your motivation!

Look, we could go in circles on this subject. This reviewer pretty much nails my thoughts on the film and my problem with Nero.
Spock tells Kirk he failed, Nero blames Spock, Nero explains the loss of his wife, and we have traditional trek villain who is angry...just like every bad guy in Trek he went mad, and wants payback

The comics are extra stuff for nitpick trek fans who need to know every little detail, the casual view pretty much gets the sum of it, and even without the comics you pretty much know the whole story.

Starfleet Veteran
# 12
01-24-2013, 12:15 AM
[quote=commadorebob;7614901]Deleted scenes don't count. Honestly, the simple fact they were deleted means they weren't needed to tell the story. I don't need to wait for the DVD in order for your movie to make sense. The deleted scenes added to extended edition of LOTR expanded the story. They weren't needed to make the movie make sense.

I agree, the scenes weren't necessary, but after I watched it the first time, I went "WTF was Nero doing for 25 years in between destroying the Kelvin and attacking Vulcan". The deleted scenes fill that plot hole in.
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-24-2013, 07:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by commadorebob View Post
According to the mind meld, all that Spock says is he was captured by Nero for failing to stop the destruction of Romulus. It is never explained 1) why Nero even knew about Spock, 2) Why Nero would be anywhere near Spock, 3) why Nero blamed Spock to begin with.
Exactly like I said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by betawatcher View Post
The mind meld scene in the movie explain that Nero wants revenge because Spock was too slow to save Romulus. It might not have been in as much detail as we would have liked, but it did explain that basic fact. So no, you dont actually need to read the comic to understand his motivation.
Just because Nero's story was not explained in complete detail, or in as much detail as you might have preferred, does not change the fact that it was still explained.