Survivor of Romulus
# 31
01-24-2013, 07:29 AM
Ever notice how we always go round and round the same Grinders vs. Story Authors arguments. Every time its the exact same arguments on both sides and of course nothing gets solved cause we can't do s**t.

Cryptic needs to come up with the solution, and I haven't seen any movement toward any changes.
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
Forum Logic dictates that if the devs don't do what a poster wants, they therefor actively hate what that poster is advocating for.
Forum Logic =/= Real Logic
Captain
# 32
01-24-2013, 07:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drogyn1701 View Post
Ever notice how we always go round and round the same Grinders vs. Story Authors arguments. Every time its the exact same arguments on both sides and of course nothing gets solved cause we can't do s**t.

Cryptic needs to come up with the solution, and I haven't seen any movement toward any changes.
The easiest solution is to enhance the Foundry UI. Have it divided into subject tabs: Combat, Talky Talk, Exploration, Test, RP, Kirk on Spock fanfic, etc.
Survivor of Romulus
# 33
01-24-2013, 07:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomictiki View Post
The easiest solution is to enhance the Foundry UI. Have it divided into subject tabs: Combat, Talky Talk, Exploration, Test, RP, Kirk on Spock fanfic, etc.
I quite agree. Better search UI is essential and shouldn't really be that hard. I mean, I hate to be a segregationist, but I think if we put story missions and grinders in a separate corner so neither has to interfere with the other, I'd be happy.

And you'd be surprised how popular that last category would be...
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
Forum Logic dictates that if the devs don't do what a poster wants, they therefor actively hate what that poster is advocating for.
Forum Logic =/= Real Logic

Last edited by drogyn1701; 01-24-2013 at 07:51 AM.
Survivor of Remus
# 34
01-24-2013, 08:00 AM
Grinder missions exist for a reason.....with the Fleet Starbase,Fleet Embassy,Reputation systems and the hiked cost of weapons,gear and ships that are unlocked with these...Cryptic turned the game into a massive resource sink, and the only way to meet these outrageous resource demands is....to grind.The grinder missions are created to ease the burden of the grind.Will it get better? No,I don't think so....Cryptic is going to add more resource sinks with each season,increasing the 'financial debuff' on the player,which will only increase the demand for missions that will maximize profit for the least amount of time.

If you,as Foundry authors,feel the need to blame someone....blame Cryptic for turning STO into a 'run of the mill grinder MMO' that leaves no place for story content,just the grind.

A solution could be to remove the best Foundry missions (with actual story content!) from the Foundry list,and integrate them into the main game as standalone episodes (with episode title and author credits on starting the mission).In the same way Foundry missions could be part of the exploration clusters.These missions would have special item/gear/doff rewards that can only be obtained by playing these missions.
Captain
# 35
01-24-2013, 08:00 AM
I got 2 hours to spend on STO tonight

Should i do a Foundry mission thats 2 hours long may be bugged and cant complete , Or just plain terrible , Spend 30 minutes just to find this mission ? then if all works right get officer reports reward..........50 fleet marks 960 dilithium

Or
Do 10 to 12 elite stfs on my 6 characters for 9,600 Dilithium 500+ Omega marks 10 to 50 Neural processors and some purple loot drops

Or
Do 12 grinders , 600 fleet marks 12,000+ Dilithium a few million Ec

This is a hard choice and i assume most of us see the problem
Jellico....Engineer.....Stargazer KDF Tac
Saphire.. Science.....Ko'el Rom Kdf Tac
Leva........Tactical.....Mailu KDF Sci

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
Rihannsu
# 36
01-24-2013, 08:10 AM
Quote:
I quite agree. Better search UI is essential and shouldn't really be that hard. I mean, I hate to be a segregationist, but I think if we put story missions and grinders in a separate corner so neither has to interfere with the other, I'd be happy.

This is where I wish I had actual Borg implants to edit out that memory.....

Anyways, bad slash fics aside.... I think mission categories are a great idea. You could even make choosing a category part of the mission review process. I'd make it so that the author of the mission chooses a category where it goes initially.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Starfleet Veteran
# 37
01-24-2013, 08:11 AM
IMO I think separate categories are a better option than making more rules on what missions you can or can't get rewards from.
Empire Veteran
# 38
01-24-2013, 08:31 AM
Quote:

We don't need categories and more tabs, but a limited choice of tags (roleplay, exploration, combat, diplomacy) to describe our missions could be an interesting solution. And those tags could be given by players so that authors make no mistake.
Lieutenant
# 39
01-24-2013, 08:52 AM
Good.

I hope no one is upset by this comment, but I think we can not blame either Cryptic or what players because you play the missions. Guilt is divided between the two, but I think 80% is more the fault of the players and 20% of Cryptic.

I mean, we can not pretend as creators of missions that people play them, happened to me, imagine, you have no complaints because your missions reach the 1000 notifications, but others who do not write in English we have to put up with much less. Is it a problem of Cryptic?, No, people play what they want and not be compelled to play something much affection they have for our missions. And I tell you with knowledge and anyone can view the list of missions created by me and see the effort that has no reward.

But in my case it's time not to look at the notes, of ignoring what's on the mission and if you do not play anyone, because it does not matter, I do them because I like them, whatever I put in a list if the mission is better or worse.

That hurts what is happening, yes, that Cryptic has been promising improvements in casting, too, but people will play what they want or simply stop playing.

Sorry for the language but is an automatic translator.
Captain
# 40
01-24-2013, 08:53 AM
People voluntarily playing MMO's complaining about grinding in MMO's never gets old.

Also, the kind of people that would voluntarily play a grinder, knowing it's a grinder in advance, just so they can give it a low rating to mess with it and complain that it's a grinder, are absolutely the last kind of idiots I want designing story missions for me. Because you're probably well below clever enough to write anything halfway interesting.

Last edited by tsurutafan01; 01-24-2013 at 08:57 AM.
Closed Thread