Captain
# 31
01-24-2013, 06:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superhombre777 View Post
  • I am naming the runabouts after lesser-known scientists (Linus Pauling and Max von Laue so far). Does anyone have a good recommendation for the third and final runabout on the Odyssey? Everybody has a shuttlecraft named Einstein or Hawking so please don't go there.
Heisenburg
Chadwick (discovered the Neutron '32)
Feynman

To name a few
Kathryn S. Beringer - The Dawn Patrol

Solaris build - Veritatum Liquido Cernene
Rihannsu
# 32
01-24-2013, 06:54 AM
@marcus:

I actually wrote the end that way to sort of show Bryan trying to process what he was seeing. But ty for the critique. It'll give me something to think about for my future entries.

@jinx:

Excellent entry! It's interesting too see what Trill might have been had things worked out differently.
Vice Admiral Bryan Mitchel Valot
Commanding officer: Odyssey class U.S.S. Athena
Admiral of the 1st Assault Fleet

Last edited by ironphoenix113; 01-24-2013 at 07:04 AM. Reason: Autocorrect, you're fired.
Captain
# 33
01-24-2013, 06:57 AM
Quote:
[*]I am naming the runabouts after lesser-known scientists (Linus Pauling and Max von Laue so far). Does anyone have a good recommendation for the third and final runabout on the Odyssey? Everybody has a shuttlecraft named Einstein or Hawking so please don't go there.[/list]
How about calling it the Museveni? After the scientist in Andromeda who created the Nietzschean sub-species?

Last edited by marcusdkane; 01-24-2013 at 07:06 AM. Reason: Helps if I spell the guy's name right :D
Captain
# 34
01-24-2013, 07:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bortjinx View Post
The reasoning behind (prime) Jinx being willing and ready to kill (mirror) Jinx is based very heavily on the history of a race called Parasites. What the mirror symbionts were doing is very similar to something that happened in the prime universe, which Trill pretty much swore would never happen again.

It isn't entirely 100% canon, but then it is Trek... Nothing is 100% canon apart from the the shows, so I feel it's ok to use it, and being fair, the Parasites were in the shows, and it was never explained where they came from, so it could be canon, lol.
Ahh, that definitely makes sense, as Jinx being able to see that parallel and needing to prevent it

Quote:
Originally Posted by bortjinx View Post
I can think of a few...
Jinx meeting the 'prime' incarnation of mirror Jinx's host, unjoined, of course.
Trill's reaction to what the mirror symbionts are doing.
Jinx's quest to stop the mirror symbionts, and free the enslaved Trill population.
Mirror universe Trill, their plans and goals, and how they proceed.
Definitely some good options there to explore, it will be great to see what comes out in future work
Captain
# 35
01-24-2013, 07:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironphoenix113 View Post
@marcus:

I actually write the end that way to sort of show Bryan trying to process what he was seeing. But ty for the critique. It'll give me something to think about for my future entries.
No worries, I totally understand, I guess I was just thinking of pacing from my own perspective
Rihannsu
# 36
01-24-2013, 07:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusdkane View Post
No worries, I totally understand, I guess I was just thinking of pacing from my own perspective
As I said, something to think about. We all have our own writing styles, so it's only natural for us to interpret the same thing differently.
Vice Admiral Bryan Mitchel Valot
Commanding officer: Odyssey class U.S.S. Athena
Admiral of the 1st Assault Fleet
Captain
# 37
01-24-2013, 07:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironphoenix113 View Post
As I said, something to think about. We all have our own writing styles, so it's only natural for us to interpret the same thing differently.
Absolutely so, that's what makes these LCs so much fun and so challenging I have to admit, I just realized that I did pretty much the same thing at the end of my entry when Darien is re-integrated and regenerated, but equally, there had been the preceding scene which was clear that Marcus was already dead
Captain
# 38
01-24-2013, 11:27 AM
Well, now. A chance to put my main character through a serious emotional and existential crisis! I couldn't pass that up, could I? (As usual with me, it goes on for a bit.)
Captain
# 39
01-24-2013, 12:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shevet View Post
Well, now. A chance to put my main character through a serious emotional and existential crisis! I couldn't pass that up, could I? (As usual with me, it goes on for a bit.)
Wow
Loved the Iconian references And equally, that was my take on the MU doppelgangers, not that they were simply good/evil flips, but how people would have been having had different experiences or different choices, so I really enjoyed reading that
Commander
# 40
01-24-2013, 01:07 PM
Some really excellent stories in this batch, including (of course) another great work by shevet. I confess, I'm intimidated; even if I had a solid idea for any of my captains, I don't think I'd dare after reading these.

bortjinx: yes, I remember reading of the symbiont/parasite connection on Memory Beta. All too plausible that, like the Goa'uld from a certain other setting, the mirror versions of our familiar tummy-slugs would have a different sort of "symbiosis" in mind. (To quote the hive-queen in the unfortunate Lt. Commander Remmick: "We seek peaceful co-existence." *shudder*)

Quote:
I am naming the runabouts after lesser-known scientists (Linus Pauling and Max von Laue so far). Does anyone have a good recommendation for the third and final runabout on the Odyssey? Everybody has a shuttlecraft named Einstein or Hawking so please don't go there.
If you'll forgive the pedantry: it's shuttles that are named for scientists. Runabouts are named for rivers; all the ones in canon are for rivers on Earth, but by 2409 you could probably make the excuse that they've run out / moved on to other founding worlds, if you want something more exotic.

Last edited by hfmudd; 01-24-2013 at 01:36 PM.