Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 14,328
# 41
01-24-2013, 10:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diogene0 View Post
We don't need categories and more tabs, but a limited choice of tags (roleplay, exploration, combat, diplomacy) to describe our missions could be an interesting solution. And those tags could be given by players so that authors make no mistake.
Well, your tags idea is pretty much a more flexible way of categorizing missions. Both have their merits.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 111
# 42
01-24-2013, 10:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirksplat View Post
, then we're sort of mourning for what the game used to be at launch,
The game has never had this much of a playerbase, not at launch, not 5 months into the game, not a year after launch, and the story missions are always there. With more feature episodes on the way, i honestly dont see why you're complaining. There are immersive storyline missions in the foundry, you just chose to see the farming missions, deal with it.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 459
# 43
01-24-2013, 10:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadnax View Post
<snip>

However, my playtime is often limited, so when I see "estimated playtime 2-3 hours" I often avoid those missions. I can't guarantee that much time in a single sitting.

<snip>
I can absolutely empathize with this. And that's part of the beauty of the Foundry - there are mission lengths for anyones needs. However...

When you do have time to sit down for one of the more epic length missions, should you be 'penalized' with less reward for your time spent than doing an equal number of shorter missions time-wise?

Equal time spent should equal comparable rewards.
Free the Foundry with a simple, new User Interface: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh....php?t=1316881
(My consolidated list of game improvements for STO: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=990371)
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 107
# 44
01-24-2013, 10:58 AM
For what it's worth, I thought I would pitch my two cents into this conversation as someone who has used the foundry for both story and grind missions. I admire those of you who author well thought out and beautifully put together missions and I can't even begin to imagine the frustrations you experience when looking at the "Hot" list on the foundry menu. That said (hang in there with me), lately the majority of foundry missions I've been playing are the grind missions and Battleship Royale Rumble. Usually these are the only missions I will do when I have an hour or two after work during the week to play; saving the 1 hour plus "foundry story missions" (for lack of a better term) for the weekends when I have more time to play.

The sole reason for this is: Fleet Marks

In all honestly I don't care about the dilithum that comes from the IOR wrapper, nor do I care about loot drops as both can be acquired outside the foundry.

Fact of the matter is the demands of the fleet starbase project are heavily influencing what missions I play. I'm in a small fleet, and we're hurting for fleet marks. The IOR mission is the most efficient way to get them. As a result, I try to maximize my efficiency by playing the grind missions during the week as they complete within the 30 minute window before I can pick up IOR again, repeat, and go cross eyed because this gets mind-numbingly boring.

In my opinion, the grind mission "problem" (again, lack of a better word) could be easily tackled if Cryptic would address the fleet mark issue. There just isn't a way to earn enough currently without using the IOR mission. The fleet event missions barely pay out anything; yes you can actually earn a decent haul in the 20-person Starbase mission, but you have better odds of winning the lottery than having that happen. Perhaps the community of foundry authors here could lobby Cryptic to do something about fleet marks. For example, if there was I way I could exchange fleet credit for fleet marks, I guarantee you I'd start playing foundry story missions much more often in place of the grind missions as I could just buy marks.

This has turned into a wall of text, and I do apologize. One more thing before I go. I do share a belief that the indexing of foundry missions needs a lot of work. Perhaps some kind of Foundry Wiki or other online database to catalogue and classify missions would be a solution; although that does seem like a lot of work to build and maintain.

Thank you.

Last edited by brianbenzinger; 01-24-2013 at 11:00 AM.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 522
# 45
01-24-2013, 12:45 PM
Categorized search UI for the Foundry: Problem solved.
Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 314
# 46
01-24-2013, 02:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellico1 View Post
I got 2 hours to spend on STO tonight

Should i do a Foundry mission thats 2 hours long may be bugged and cant complete , Or just plain terrible , Spend 30 minutes just to find this mission ? then if all works right get officer reports reward..........50 fleet marks 960 dilithium

Or
Do 10 to 12 elite stfs on my 6 characters for 9,600 Dilithium 500+ Omega marks 10 to 50 Neural processors and some purple loot drops

Or
Do 12 grinders , 600 fleet marks 12,000+ Dilithium a few million Ec

This is a hard choice and i assume most of us see the problem
As one who doesn't enjoy STFs or grinders, it's an easy choice.

Unfortunately, if you want to advance a starbase/embassy or access any content gated by dilithium or marks, it forces you to play the grindy stuff to get there. Which brings us back to your point.
Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 314
# 47
01-24-2013, 02:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diogene0 View Post
We don't need categories and more tabs, but a limited choice of tags (roleplay, exploration, combat, diplomacy) to describe our missions could be an interesting solution. And those tags could be given by players so that authors make no mistake.
Something we did in the Mission Architect in CoH (for much the same reason) was include our own "tag" in either the title or description text. It was [sfma], which identified story-focused missions. You could then search on [sfma] or sfma and find those missions.

Of course, only those who frequented the MA forums or MA fansites knew that the tag existed, but at least for those players it provided a way to sift through missions for ones they might be interested in.

It still passed over many good story missions that did not have that tag because those authors didn't know about it. But it was a start in lieu of having an actual tag in the UI.
Commander
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 375
# 48
01-24-2013, 02:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadnax View Post
Something we did in the Mission Architect in CoH (for much the same reason) was include our own "tag" in either the title or description text. It was [sfma], which identified story-focused missions. You could then search on [sfma] or sfma and find those missions.
That is a really good idea. The hard part would be getting the word out, but I think if the more popular authors/missions had tags and a short description of what it meant, curiosity would lead many to learn about the coding. Possibly with a sticky to direct players to in the forums.

Hell, it's a start and better than waiting for an official solution.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 115
# 49
01-24-2013, 02:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianbenzinger View Post
For example, if there was I way I could exchange fleet credit for fleet marks, I guarantee you I'd start playing foundry story missions much more often in place of the grind missions as I could just buy marks.

Thank you.
Brian, in your fleet boost shop on your starbase (far left as you enter the store area) you can purchase Fleet Mark Boosts. You get 20% more fleet marks up to 100 for 15k, though it works out to 10k after you trade in the extra marks.
Play Star Trek: Allegiance - my first series in the Foundry
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 107
# 50
01-24-2013, 03:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicochavez View Post
Brian, in your fleet boost shop on your starbase (far left as you enter the store area) you can purchase Fleet Mark Boosts. You get 20% more fleet marks up to 100 for 15k, though it works out to 10k after you trade in the extra marks.

I do purchase those, and they are a nice help of which I am appreciative.

I was thinking more along the line of with projects requiring thousands of marks to complete (just did the Tier 3 starbase that needed 10,800 marks) being able to buy marks would be nice. For example, I'm sitting on 2.5 million fleet credit. I would gladly cash that in for marks since I really don't have anything else to spend it on. Buying marks with credit would free me to run more story driven foundry content.

Thank you.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:29 PM.