Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Klingon Gameplay
Login

Empire Veteran
# 41
01-24-2013, 12:36 PM
To the est of my knowledge they have access to any ships from any computer games licenced from CBS, and have full access to the ships from the FASA startrek RPG and associated products. No idea why cryptic hasn't gone whole hog to holler on getting these assets in game.

Khemaraa sends
Release 8.5 "STO The Next Generation"

Let the happy old bug stomping commence, along with refinement toward enhancing each factions play experience!
Captain
# 42
01-24-2013, 12:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldkhemaraa View Post
To the est of my knowledge they have access to any ships from any computer games licenced from CBS, and have full access to the ships from the FASA startrek RPG and associated products. No idea why cryptic hasn't gone whole hog to holler on getting these assets in game.

Khemaraa sends
IIRC Bran said they only got license to use film and TNG-on material.
KBF Lord MalaK
Awoken Dead

You're gonna upgrade my Chel Grett for FREE but charge me $27 to upgrade my Kamarag ?
Rihannsu
# 43
01-24-2013, 01:17 PM
yeah, they don't have a license to use any FASA or game material. They can only use the TV shows, the first 10 movies and they can kinda sorta use stuff from the books.

The old computer game stuff is owned by Bethesda and Activision. They can't use the FASA stuff because not only do they not have a license for it, but neither does FASA anymore.

Back on topic, The KDF isn't even losing anything, no one came and took away your Bioneural torps to put in the lockboxes.
Career Officer
# 44
01-24-2013, 01:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmalak1 View Post
IIRC Bran said they only got license to use film and TNG-on material.

Yes that's correct.

And canon doesn't "favor the feddies", The Federation/Starfleet IS Star Trek.

Every other race was put there for the Federation to meet, interact with, provide a counterpoint for, etc.

Captain
# 45
01-24-2013, 03:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ussultimatum View Post
Yes that's correct.

Every other race was put there for the Federation to meet, interact with, provide a counterpoint for, etc.
Star Trek Online isn't canon. It's an MMO.
All cloaks should be canon.
Empire Veteran
# 46
01-24-2013, 05:34 PM
Quote:
Yes that's correct.

True, but STO being a multifaction MMO meant draw both hardcore fans and new players alike means it should cover more than just the outlook of the feds. Sure they are yhe primary faction but more than just fedfans exist whom enjoy the IP.
Lieutenant
# 47
01-24-2013, 06:04 PM
Quote:
So the fact that those other species were building empires spanning thousands of systems before mankind even stepped foot on the moon is irrelevant because of the point of view of the narrative?

"Seems logical."
Lt. Commander
# 48
01-24-2013, 08:46 PM
go turn up your bieber full blast and put your twilight collectors edition in the blu ray and cry about it some more.. god i will be glad when the klingons get through puberty and out of this emotional phase.
Career Officer
# 49
01-24-2013, 09:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloctoad View Post
Star Trek Online isn't canon. It's an MMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitemepwe View Post
True, but STO being a multifaction MMO meant draw both hardcore fans and new players alike means it should cover more than just the outlook of the feds. Sure they are yhe primary faction but more than just fedfans exist whom enjoy the IP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by branmakmorrn View Post
So the fact that those other species were building empires spanning thousands of systems before mankind even stepped foot on the moon is irrelevant because of the point of view of the narrative?

"Seems logical."

I'm sorry guys, I forgot to quote lordmalak when I posted that.

Here's the quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmalak
The problem with that is Cryptic is strangled by CBS's IP rights.They need to get out from under CBS's umbrella and sub-license directly from FASA and/or ADB to get those EU ships that other games have used because 'canon' simply doesn't favor anyone but the feddies.

He was talking about actual TV/Movie canon which is why my response came out like it did.

I don't think STO should be all about the Federation and I think a one faction game would be severely boring.

Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited by ussultimatum; 01-25-2013 at 07:11 AM.
Captain
# 50
01-24-2013, 10:21 PM
Ultimatum, the quote you've attributed to me above wasn't me. It was Malak:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmalak1 View Post
The problem with that is Cryptic is strangled by CBS's IP rights.They need to get out from under CBS's umbrella and sub-license directly from FASA and/or ADB to get those EU ships that other games have used because 'canon' simply doesn't favor anyone but the feddies.
I'm not well-versed enough in canon to really contribute to canonicity debates

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulyman View Post
go turn up your bieber full blast and put your twilight collectors edition in the blu ray and cry about it some more.. god i will be glad when the klingons get through puberty and out of this emotional phase.
Who let you in here? Go back to your carebear Feddie forums, the grown-ups are talking here.

Last edited by dma1986; 01-24-2013 at 10:23 PM.