Career Officer
# 111
01-22-2013, 07:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwebranflakes View Post
No; likenesses are not allowed in Foundry missions. Worf is available because it's not a likeness to Michael Dorn (i.e. you can't tell that Worf is Michael Dorn).

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
I think life would be a lot easier for you and authors if you guys could toss a bunch of prefab characters into the Foundry contact costumes (ie. Worf, S1 Worf, assorted Klingons, etc.) and then took the more clear stance of, "Don't remake characters seen onscreen in the IP unless we provide you with one."

Maybe have a special naming convention.

Like:

"Canon - Worf - 2409"

That might mess with my Picard mission (where I tried to hide it from looking like Patrick Stewart) but it would be clearer.

Then again, to make it explicit, you could add:

"Canon - Picard - 2409" and just have it be a male in an EV suit. And "Canon - Picard - TNG Era" as a generic male in a First Contact EV suit.

There ya go. If all uses of characters from the shows have to be from a Cryptic-approved costume list, all you do then is supply generic EV suits with the name attached. So authors know, "Okay. I can use Worf but he has to be wearing a Cryptic approved costume. I can use Picard but the only approved costumes have him in EV suits."
Former PWE Community Team Lead
# 112
01-22-2013, 07:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
Not even if it's the same model used in Cryptic STO missions for Sela? Cutting the Cord has a dialogue box for Sela, complete with visual.
Re-quoting myself: If it looks like someone, don't use it. I'm not 100% sure, as I am no lawyer, but we may have special authorization to use it and that authorization can not be given to Foundry authors. In the end, just don't risk it and don't use it if it looks like someone. Again, going off the EULA FAQ thread, characters who were in makeup and costumes where you can not tell who they really are (i.e. their likenss, e.g. Worf) should be okay.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Brandon "BranFlakes" Felczer | Former Community Team Lead for Perfect World Entertainment
Career Officer
# 113
01-23-2013, 04:11 AM
Hey Borticus and BranFlakes !

You both rock !

Thanks very much for the clarifications.

Peace
Captain
# 114
01-23-2013, 07:00 AM
What exactly does the "Tholian Tetryon Grid" ability do? I see them using this all the time, but I have no idea what it does.

Also, those "Heavy Disruption Torpedoes" are really just Thermionic Torpedoes with High Yield enabled, right?
"It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid."
-- Q
Rihannsu
# 115
01-23-2013, 08:30 AM
I think so. They do the same thing when you get hit with them...
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Captain
# 116
01-23-2013, 12:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwebranflakes View Post
Re-quoting myself: If it looks like someone, don't use it. I'm not 100% sure, as I am no lawyer, but we may have special authorization to use it and that authorization can not be given to Foundry authors. In the end, just don't risk it and don't use it if it looks like someone. Again, going off the EULA FAQ thread, characters who were in makeup and costumes where you can not tell who they really are (i.e. their likenss, e.g. Worf) should be okay.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Last I checked, Leonard Nimoy did not have pointed ears.

But yeah, I get it, no obvious likeness to real people. It's a shame, but I guess if I were in their position, I wouldn't want my likeness made public either.

And I think the Tholian Tetryon Grid is the straight shield that is sometimes created by the bigger Tholian ships, but that may just be coincidence with a different ability.

stardestroyer001, VA Explorers Fury | Email me for a Pro-Galaxy sig!
My Useful List of STO Forum Threads, Ship Builds & More! | My Forum Gripes
Foundry: A new series coming soon! | PvP: PvP Boot Camp, Notebook Project Almost Done!
Commander
# 117
01-24-2013, 09:17 AM
I'm just gonna have Spock-Dialogue without the Picture.
It's such a disappointment that we can't even have characters that look nothing like the actors without risking legal issues!
No actors played Commander Thelin did they? lol

Out of Body by @odyssey47 sounds pretty good.
ATTENTION: UNDINE SPACE & TKON GROUND SETS ALL THE WAY DEVS!.. Q-TRIBBLE, MAYBE!?.. EJECT WARP CORE ABILITY LIKE LAYING A SUPER-MINE, HELL YES!!!.. SPACE HIPPIES FROM TOS PLAYING MUSIC IN OUR FLEET STARBASE, NO, JUST, NO... CAIT & RA'KHOLN ADVENTURE ZONE, YES

Last edited by rickysmith1; 01-24-2013 at 09:28 AM.
Rihannsu
# 118
01-25-2013, 07:24 AM
Actually, since Thelin was only an animated char.... yeah, he's fair game.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Commander
# 119
01-25-2013, 02:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
Actually, since Thelin was only an animated char.... yeah, he's fair game.
I was kidding! Geez give me some credit lol
ATTENTION: UNDINE SPACE & TKON GROUND SETS ALL THE WAY DEVS!.. Q-TRIBBLE, MAYBE!?.. EJECT WARP CORE ABILITY LIKE LAYING A SUPER-MINE, HELL YES!!!.. SPACE HIPPIES FROM TOS PLAYING MUSIC IN OUR FLEET STARBASE, NO, JUST, NO... CAIT & RA'KHOLN ADVENTURE ZONE, YES

Survivor of Romulus
# 120
01-27-2013, 11:08 AM
I have another question...

I uploaded a npc costume which unlocked everything, being sneaky I like some of these mix matched designs i've made, question.... Will cryptic go "RAWR hax" if I were to use these custom outfitted npcs? (I intend to do so anyway, but just thought I would ask)