Starfleet Veteran
# 61
01-25-2013, 10:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sway82 View Post
The Nebula has no impulse engines in canon either. Why not remove them from the current Steamrunner model if you don't want to move them into the saucer section? That would be canon at least.
This is true, and a rationalization had been given for it too. It might also be why when Infinite Space was being made (with help from Mike Okuda) they also didn't put any visible impulse engine ports on the Steamrunner: STIS Steamrunner-class.
---------------------------------------------------
U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-91771 - Nebula-class
Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
Dedication Plaque: "Leave nothing unattempted" - James Cook

Last edited by amosov78; 01-25-2013 at 10:34 AM.
Captain
# 62
01-25-2013, 11:57 AM
Digi-modify!

I guess the their vision of 25th century starships are ones without visible impulse engines.
Rihannsu
# 63
01-27-2013, 02:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sway82 View Post
The Nebula has no impulse engines in canon either. Why not remove them from the current Steamrunner model if you don't want to move them into the saucer section? That would be canon at least.
There in lays the problem, unlike the Nebula you never get to see any detailed shots of the Steamrunner, so as to what's cannon for this ship is very much up for speculation. As I detailed before the texture model of the Steamrunner shows a strong case for the impulse engines being on the saucer section and no where near the pylons. There in again it is speculation but I think I'm safe in saying that 95% (probably more) of those of us who are big fans of the Steamrunner and using it in game all agree, the impulse engines should be on the saucer section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosov78 View Post
This is true, and a rationalization had been given for it too. It might also be why when Infinite Space was being made (with help from Mike Okuda) they also didn't put any visible impulse engine ports on the Steamrunner: STIS Steamrunner-class.
That rationalization might very well work however you never get a clear enough shot of the aft end of the ship to tell if the impulse engines are visible/hidden or their location, if they are visible then theirs compelling evidence that supports the impulse engines being located on the saucer section. Since in STO the artists are going with them being visible (as a majority believe they are) then they should be located on the saucer section.
"Lets see what this button does..."
Ensign
# 64
01-27-2013, 06:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thanatos9t View Post
How does this look (a simple edit in photoshop)

Makes such a difference to the model.
I have to agree on the placement of the impulse engines. If the ship looked like this I would actually use it. I realize how silly that sounds, but it how I am

Not to harp on stuff and apologies if it was mentioned but, Are the bussard collectors supposed to align with the engine nacelles? To me it always looks like the scoops should be an extension of the nacelle poking through the saucer, however it seems like they tilt at different angles.

That last part doesn't bug me as much as the impulse engine thing though, I can wrap my head around the fact that Starfleet engineers did some fancy plumbing to "Make it Go".

Last edited by fairbeard1; 01-27-2013 at 06:23 PM.
Captain
# 65
01-28-2013, 09:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairbeard1 View Post
I have to agree on the placement of the impulse engines. If the ship looked like this I would actually use it. I realize how silly that sounds, but it how I am

Not to harp on stuff and apologies if it was mentioned but, Are the bussard collectors supposed to align with the engine nacelles? To me it always looks like the scoops should be an extension of the nacelle poking through the saucer, however it seems like they tilt at different angles.

That last part doesn't bug me as much as the impulse engine thing though, I can wrap my head around the fact that Starfleet engineers did some fancy plumbing to "Make it Go".
I believe they are. It's another lousy ship modeling by Cryptic.

stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
My Useful List of STO Forum Threads, Ship Builds & More!
IMO: Season 9 was the best season, Devs were right to focus on bugfixing. Roll back Delta Rising to that.
Captain
# 66
01-28-2013, 11:09 AM
Doesn't mean it can't be called the 25th century design and were moved to the pylons for some technical reasons. Besides, its better than nothing.
Captain
# 67
01-28-2013, 11:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xigbarg View Post
Doesn't mean it can't be called the 25th century design and were moved to the pylons for some technical reasons. Besides, its better than nothing.
It still doesn't follow the traditional Starfleet ship-building design process - which, by the way, the Odyssey is based off of, so 25th century design or not, Cryptic still follows the standard set by the TV shows and movies.

Anyways, so when is Cryptic going to fix this ship? And the Galaxy? And the Sovereign? And...

IMO: Season 9 was the best season, Devs were right to focus on bugfixing. Roll back Delta Rising to that.
Captain
# 68
01-28-2013, 11:33 AM
And the Nebula does?
Captain
# 69
01-28-2013, 11:49 AM
Yes, it does. The impulse engines, according to a source which I have forgotten (years and years ago), are in the base of the central pylon supporting the mission pod. The VFX people on DS9 forgot to include the exhaust trails from this single impulse engine.

After all, you can't have the impulse engines coming from a plugged vent.

Ensign
# 70
01-28-2013, 12:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captjamjamz View Post
There is no official canon reference to where the impulse engines are. Both of the images you linked are not canon.
On top of that, even if we did put the impulse engines on the back of the saucer, where those images point to, the impulse engines would exhaust directly into the rear pylons -- engineering so awful it's hard to let it fly. In any case, we never get a close enough shot of the canon version of the ship (as intended by the original creators) to get a good idea of where, exactly, they should be.
These 2 stills from First Contact clearly show the impulse engines don't belong on the pylons.

Though they don't appear to be on the saucer either

Last edited by fairbeard1; 01-28-2013 at 12:42 PM.