Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,105
# 61
01-25-2013, 10:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shevet View Post
I think an interesting question, though, might be: what are the mirror Devidians like? Perhaps they're a force for good in the Mirror Universe! Angels rather than spectres... Or perhaps their abilities work in some unexpectedly different way.... Just tossing out some ideas!
I can see what you mean...that said, I don't know that I would literally alter their biology for another universe.

Oddly enough, as I see the MU, the Ferengi may be the force for good there. Their predatory instincts do not seem as strong as other species (my theory being that the Ferengi were not the apex predators on their world until very, very recently, evolutionarily speaking, and therefore behave more like small predators like a housecat or a ferret), and that may render them immune to whatever it is that has corrupted the MU to such a degree and driven the predatory instincts of so many species into a frenzy (one that at least as I see it, the Devidians would undoubtedly be caught up in--making them either the same as they are, or even worse). In the MU they seem to have become just bold enough to take a stand, but not SO much so as to become consumed by it.

At least, that's the way I see the MU.

Quote:
Personally, I am a great believer in giving my characters a hard time. One of my literary role models is Alistair Maclean, who was very definitely of the same opinion. The protagonist of The Satan Bug, for instance, is gassed, half-blinded, and has his foot run over by a tank... and this is before the book even starts; when he reaches chapter one, he has real problems to contend with. Something to aim for, I think.
Hmm...I think that sounds a bit extreme. I definitely think characters should face challenges--serious ones. That said, I also like for there to be bright moments, and I am not comfortable going as far as, say, the new Battlestar Galactica. So, given that right now Alyosha's in sickbay after having had an encounter that for him is just as difficult as it would've been to make him face a Mirror counterpart, I don't really want to go there.
Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM me for more. :-)


Sig by gulberat. Avatar credit to balsavor.deviantart.com

Last edited by gulberat; 01-25-2013 at 10:56 AM.
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,304
# 62
01-25-2013, 11:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulberat View Post
The difficulty comes in thus: if he's a foundling in the MU, then just as on Earth he will at first be brought into a lab environment. In the STO universe he was blessed in that the scientists actually cared for him--including after the accidental death of one of their colleagues--and I think after a certain amount of time, he was able to enter a more family-like environment. I even think he may have been taken in by one of their families--perhaps a couple that could not or had chosen before that not to have children. They recognized his rights as a sentient being and eventually gave him a real home and the chance to find himself as a person.

In the MU we do seem to see a Starfleet of sorts--the Terrans seem to have defeated the Klingon-Cardassian Alliance and re-formed their Empire. So I see them finding him and weaponizing him once they see what he can do: literally raising him from infancy to be their tool, since they would have pretty much absolute power over his upbringing. That's why I feel that if found on Earth, such a fate woud be nearly inescapable.
Ahh, as I can't play the game, I wasn't aware of that transition in power and a restoration of an evil Starfleet... Oh well, I'm not re-writing, Darien will remain a war-profiteer with the 'up till now' life of an evil fusion of Bruce Wayne and Tony Stark That also makes more sense of your concerns of Alyosha being weaponized by an evil starfleet... Oh well, I'll just have to look forward to your contribution to the next LC
Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 361
# 63
01-25-2013, 11:33 AM
Considering the (IMO) improbability of the Terran Empire so completely reversing their fortunes since the DS9 era and going back to Business As Usual, I've toyed with the notion that the mirror universe we're dealing with now is actually not quite the same one we've seen before. It's well established ("Parallels" et al) that there's actually an infinity of possibilities out there; maybe what we're facing now is a timeline where the Empire never fell, but continued on from the TOS era, unbroken? They might have even been visited by a civilized Kirk, from some close echo of our own, and had a Spock who implemented his reforms more cautiously or not at all, strengthening the Empire up through the present day rather than causing/allowing it to collapse.

I don't expect any sort of official answer from Cryptic or CBS - this sort of lore geeking is way beyond what they usually like to deal with - nor do I intend to put it in my story (yes, you've convinced me). But it's the best explanation I can come up with for the apparent inconsistency that is most likely, on a meta level, simply due to the people in charge not caring and taking the easiest approach to giving us Mirror foes to shoot at.
Join Date: January 2011
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,105
# 64
01-25-2013, 11:55 AM
Marcus--There's no need to rewrite. Mercenaries and privateers feel very "right" for the MU even with a reconstituted Starfleet.

I'll be interested to see what the next LC is.

And even if I don't write for the challenge, I do have an idea germinating for a direct follow-up to "Kenosis." Alyosha and those in his crew who are now in the know really have to come to terms with what happened.
Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM me for more. :-)


Sig by gulberat. Avatar credit to balsavor.deviantart.com
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,105
# 65
01-25-2013, 12:02 PM
hfmudd--If your theory is true, maybe it's even the Diane Duane version of the Mirror Universe, as seen in her novel Dark Mirror?

That said, it's tough to explain the fact that Smiley O'Brien's son is one of the ones that shoots at you in the Cryptic MU...which makes your first theory the most likely--Cryptic just wanted to give us people to shoot at.
Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM me for more. :-)


Sig by gulberat. Avatar credit to balsavor.deviantart.com
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,304
# 66
01-25-2013, 12:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfmudd View Post
Considering the (IMO) improbability of the Terran Empire so completely reversing their fortunes since the DS9 era and going back to Business As Usual, I've toyed with the notion that the mirror universe we're dealing with now is actually not quite the same one we've seen before. It's well established ("Parallels" et al) that there's actually an infinity of possibilities out there; maybe what we're facing now is a timeline where the Empire never fell, but continued on from the TOS era, unbroken? They might have even been visited by a civilized Kirk, from some close echo of our own, and had a Spock who implemented his reforms more cautiously or not at all, strengthening the Empire up through the present day rather than causing/allowing it to collapse.

I don't expect any sort of official answer from Cryptic or CBS - this sort of lore geeking is way beyond what they usually like to deal with - nor do I intend to put it in my story (yes, you've convinced me). But it's the best explanation I can come up with for the apparent inconsistency that is most likely, on a meta level, simply due to the people in charge not caring and taking the easiest approach to giving us Mirror foes to shoot at.
That theory would certainly make sense (both in-universe and in terms of game design ) because considering things in the DS-9 era, an MU Starfleet wouldn't be much beyond the Movie Era ships/technology, given the stagnation/regression under the Alliance...

(have to admit, I did love the MU inclusion of a Human Vic Fontaine )
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,304
# 67
01-25-2013, 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulberat View Post
Marcus--There's no need to rewrite. Mercenaries and privateers feel very "right" for the MU even with a reconstituted Starfleet.
Cool Infact, that would explain Darien's fortune being enough to finance a private war ship and still be crazy-rich... He sells arms to both sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulberat View Post
I'll be interested to see what the next LC is.

And even if I don't write for the challenge, I do have an idea germinating for a direct follow-up to "Kenosis." Alyosha and those in his crew who are now in the know really have to come to terms with what happened.
Likewise, I love the way the LCs force me to adapt anything I might've had planned, or sometimes, just jump in both feet... Ironically, earlier I had the ideas of either having the nanoprobes in Marcus' system activating and assimilating him completely, or of S'rR's mounting a trip into the MU to kidnap Darien so the process can be reversed, but no, I must remain strong, and consider him a dead character... I'm just a bit attached, as I've been writing him for 15 years

I'm sure you'll be able to weave your magic and come up with something awesome
Captain
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,277
# 68
01-25-2013, 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusdkane View Post
Yes, I have namedropped...
Dude, Kane was on Kathryn's ship?! If so, then that leaves room to fill in a hole for a future LC
Kathryn S. Beringer - The Dawn Patrol

Solaris build - Veritatum Liquido Cernene
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,304
# 69
01-25-2013, 01:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrscarlet View Post
Dude, Kane was on Kathryn's ship?! If so, then that leaves room to fill in a hole for a future LC
Just hitching a lift to rendezvous with the Valkyrie But if you want to cover that period, feel free, or if you'd like to collaborate, that would also be cool

[Edit to add]
There were two other namedrops in the piece as well... One was a character, the other, was the inspiration for the description of the Renovatio

Last edited by marcusdkane; 01-25-2013 at 03:53 PM.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 146
# 70
01-25-2013, 02:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfmudd View Post
I don't expect any sort of official answer from Cryptic or CBS - this sort of lore geeking is way beyond what they usually like to deal with - nor do I intend to put it in my story (yes, you've convinced me).
Success! Peer pressure wins the day again. I'm looking forward to see what you come up with.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:06 PM.