Go Back   Star Trek Online > Support > Gameplay Bug Reports
Login

Notices

Starfleet Veteran
# 31
08-19-2012, 12:59 AM
Go get the drivers for Windows 7 from your GPU's website. Right-click and set compatibility mode to Windows 7. Install. Its actually really simple and works fine.

I run Windows 8 on my 4 year old laptop, 100% stable, no issues at all with it. I understand its a pre-release software, but it works a treat for me. 20 second boot-ups are real good.
-------------------------------------------------------------
President of Alpha Solaris, a Federation fleet.

I used to be Sinsofasolarempire
Lt. Commander
# 32
08-19-2012, 01:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsofanempire View Post
20 second boot-ups are real good.
My Windows 7 boots in 15 seconds, POST to desktop.
Starfleet Veteran
# 33
08-19-2012, 02:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by awolfe59 View Post
My Windows 7 boots in 15 seconds, POST to desktop.
But see, its 20 seconds till your computer is useable. Not 20 seconds until you need to wait 5-10 mins for the startup processes to complete.

Lt. Commander
# 34
08-19-2012, 07:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsofanempire View Post
But see, its 20 seconds till your computer is useable. Not 20 seconds until you need to wait 5-10 mins for the startup processes to complete.
My desktop is ready to use in 15 seconds, period. That includes all of the startup processes. My system has a quad core running at 4.2GHz, 16Gb of RAM, and a SSD for Windows 7 to boot from.

If your startup processes are taking 5-10 minutes to finish, something is very wrong.

Last edited by awolfe59; 08-19-2012 at 07:40 PM.
Starfleet Veteran
# 35
08-20-2012, 04:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by awolfe59 View Post
My desktop is ready to use in 15 seconds, period. That includes all of the startup processes. My system has a quad core running at 4.2GHz, 16Gb of RAM, and a SSD for Windows 7 to boot from.

If your startup processes are taking 5-10 minutes to finish, something is very wrong.
5-10 mins is an overexaggeration, more like 1-2mins, but it feels way longer. Your SSD would be improving startup speed by a mile.

Starfleet Veteran
# 36
10-26-2012, 09:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by parrelax View Post
i'm running windows 8 and at the moment AMD are refusing to release drivers for my 4870. i have installed the win7 ccc and its "installed" (all the apps etc) but i'm still stuck with the "Engineering Sample - WDDM v1.1" driver. Am I just kidding myself trying to get this to load or am I doing something wrong. I thought I saw somewhere punkbuster needed to be installed but going through the page I can't find a reference to it anywhere on the download page. I installed sto from the torrent, updated directx etc etc. double click the exe and I immediately get an error force close message.
Did you run STO as an admin?
"Live Long and Prosper but always carry a fully charged phaser, just in case!". Arrr'ow

Co-Leader of Serenity's Grasp
Ensign
# 37
01-25-2013, 02:33 PM
Thanks for all the worthless information, folks. Really, we appreciate it. Why are you even bothering replying in a Support forum? Oh, right, wasting our time.

To add information to this post, I, too, have not successfully been able to load the Launcher. Windows compatibility detector states that it is an incompatible application. I've tried all of the Compatibility options without success. I'm close to running a VM of Windows 7 to see if that'll do the trick, but I'm not looking forward to downloading the STO again...

Anyone who hasn't had any issues running the application on Windows 8? I'm curious how different your hardware setup is, or if you had to do anything special to get the Launcher to load. Everything else seems to work just dandy and things are running at blistering speeds.

The Launcher loads and I see it in the taskmanager, but it doesn't show anything on the screen. I have the latest drivers installed for all of my hardware.

I've disabled Windows Firewall. Disabled Anti-virus. Disabled Windows Defender. Run in Compatibility mode (Win7, Win XP SP3, and whatever else). Run as Administrator. Also logged into the Administrator account...

There is practically ZERO other resources or commentary on this issue on the net. I'm surprised more folks haven't tried to run the game on this OS. Guess folks buying new systems aren't playing "Free Games".
Career Officer
# 38
01-27-2013, 04:35 AM
been running windows 8 rtm since it was released to TechNet. Had no issues with STO in the OS at all. as far as my hardware is concerned, im running 2x gtx 580, 16 GB ddr3 1866, i7-2700k on a gen 3 mobo. I haven't had to disable the firewall or run any compatibility settings.

Anything else in the OS giving you any trouble? if so may wanna try doing a refresh on the OS. some folks have had issues with the first install run and that's fixed a lot of problems.