Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 186
How many threads do we all have to make on this issue?

Under the current system, every weapon with a lower DPS than a Dual Cannon gets penalized twice for having a better firing arc: once by having a lower DPS and once by having a lower efficiency (power usage VS DPS).

Yes, dual cannons and dual heavy cannons should absolutely have the best DPS in the game. But should all the other weapons be so inefficient that an already lower DPS becomes an absolutely pathetic DPS when using eight of them (at max power level)? Tactical already gets attack pattern buffs (even more DPS) and DPS abilites while everyone else gets...inefficient weapons.

Sure, engineers get eptw3 but all ship systems are hard-capped to 125 so that doesn't really help.
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 535
# 2
01-26-2013, 11:31 PM
I'm not arguing with a boost of any sort to beam weaponry, but I have to ask...what purpose will torpedoes serve if cruisers can run 8 beams with little power drain?
Captain
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 537
# 3
01-26-2013, 11:42 PM
Depends on the boost. Im not asking for much of a boost and maybe they could even increase the power drain on cannons to meet beams halfway. Torps would then keep their purpose and everyone save for the escorts win.

Though its kinda bad when the most commonly seen escort build is always 4 cannons and 3 turrets, max dps builds. Escorts should also have a variety of builds. But that my opinion. Hate me for it if you wish or try to reason with me. My word isn't law.

Last edited by xigbarg; 01-26-2013 at 11:44 PM.
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 535
# 4
01-26-2013, 11:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xigbarg View Post
Depends on the boost. Im not asking for much of a boost and maybe they could even increase the power drain on cannons to meet beams halfway. Torps would then keep their purpose and everyone save for the escorts win.

Though its kinda bad when the most commonly seen escort build is always 4 cannons and 3 turrets, max dps builds. Escorts should also have a variety of builds. But that my opinion. Hate me for it if you wish or try to reason with me. My word isn't law.
The reason this will never happen: Escort-only power-gamers will derail any threads suggesting this with their incessant whinging about how terrible their life is, how OP cruisers and science ships are, how escorts are the only ships in the game that need DPS and the ability to turn, that escorts need to tank like cruisers, etc.

In short, the escort is king corn on turd hill right now, and none of its fans want that to change.
Captain
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 537
# 5
01-26-2013, 11:58 PM
Aside from that, the only other way I can see the promotion of more builds is to give tac consoles dimishing returns to further promote the use of consoles like Warhead Yield Chamber or Directed Energy Distribution Manifold or even Prefire Chamber.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,731
# 6
01-26-2013, 11:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aethon3050 View Post
I'm not arguing with a boost of any sort to beam weaponry, but I have to ask...what purpose will torpedoes serve if cruisers can run 8 beams with little power drain?
Its a lot of power drain, even with all the mitigating abilities out there. Someone did some basic testing last week and posted (thread's around here somewhere) and apparently most of the drain-mitigating powers don't even work correctly. Combine that with how long the drain lasts (beams are the full firing cycle, cannons are just bang-and-done), and that cripples beams more than any base-damage differences.

Tangentally, I wonder why there are so many of these threads lately?
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,632
# 7
01-27-2013, 12:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reginamala78 View Post
Its a lot of power drain, even with all the mitigating abilities out there. Someone did some basic testing last week and posted (thread's around here somewhere) and apparently most of the drain-mitigating powers don't even work correctly. Combine that with how long the drain lasts (beams are the full firing cycle, cannons are just bang-and-done), and that cripples beams more than any base-damage differences.

Tangentally, I wonder why there are so many of these threads lately?
Quote:
Originally Posted by aethon3050 View Post
I'm not arguing with a boost of any sort to beam weaponry, but I have to ask...what purpose will torpedoes serve if cruisers can run 8 beams with little power drain?
I posted some suggestions recently, so far the escorts rule crowd have been trying to turn it into a ship vs ship argument.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=526491

and torpedos always have a place in hull smashing, somethig you just can do with anything else.
Actualy reading things pefore posting will make you look smarter than yelling loudly. Reading comprehension is aparently a lost art.

Not everything you see on the internet is true - Abriham Lincoln
Commander
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 278
# 8
01-27-2013, 06:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xigbarg View Post
Aside from that, the only other way I can see the promotion of more builds is to give tac consoles dimishing returns to further promote the use of consoles like Warhead Yield Chamber or Directed Energy Distribution Manifold or even Prefire Chamber.
Personally I'd like to see exactly this added; diminishing returns probably shouldn't be quite as severe as for armour consoles, but it should leave mixed energy weapon + kinetic weapon tactical console builds at least semi-viable. I have an escort with a lot of cannons, but also a torpedo launcher, but currently I find that swapping any energy weapon console for a kinetic damage one is just a waste of a tactical console slot.


[edit]
As lolimpicard points out, it's possible to build cruisers that don't suffer too much from weapon drain, especially since you should have four engineering console slots which are ideal for an EPS Flow Regulator, which will let your power levels recover a lot faster each time you fire. There are also tons of bonuses you can use, the M.A.C.O and Romulan Singularity sets both have bonus electro-plasma systems which also make a noticeable difference. Sure, Escorts can take advantage of power transfer too, but not as easily due to more limited console slots, so those that do do it to keep their DPS up but will have to sacrifice damage resistance to do-so.

Last edited by haravikk; 01-27-2013 at 07:13 AM.
Commander
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 307
# 9
01-27-2013, 07:02 AM
The problem is people putting 7 or 8 energy weapons on ships without a weapon power bonus.
Your mistake, your problem.

Most Escorts fit 3 DHCs and 3 turrets: 6 energy weapons.

You want to use 25% more energy weapons than an Escort?
Without a +15 to Weapon Power?
And without burning through whatever weapon power you have?

Good luck.

And by the way: It's well possible, altho apparently those people can't figure it out.

He's dead, Jim.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 775
# 10
01-27-2013, 11:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by haravikk View Post

[edit]
As lolimpicard points out, it's possible to build cruisers that don't suffer too much from weapon drain, especially since you should have four engineering console slots which are ideal for an EPS Flow Regulator, which will let your power levels recover a lot faster each time you fire. There are also tons of bonuses you can use, the M.A.C.O and Romulan Singularity sets both have bonus electro-plasma systems which also make a noticeable difference. Sure, Escorts can take advantage of power transfer too, but not as easily due to more limited console slots, so those that do do it to keep their DPS up but will have to sacrifice damage resistance to do-so.
EPS flow regulators do squat for weapon power drain. They only help recover from using an BOFF ability like Beam Overload.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:37 PM.