Commander
# 21
01-27-2013, 01:52 PM
If cryptic pulls the Grinders or changes the drop rate I and my entire fleet will never play another foundry mission again. The players want them. A small group of Foundry Authors dont. So the needs of the few outweigh the needs of the many? So what is the root of the issue? The masses love and use NEED the Grinders. A group of Foundry Authors see that these simple easy no story missions are stealing all the glory. They Demand that the missions be removed or the drop rate lowered so people have to play the missions that they think are acceptable. So these authors are trying to force players to play the mission they make. If Cryptic creates a seperate listing for story missions and a seperate listing for grinders let the community choose. I have spoke to everyone in my fleet (60 of us) and many say if it was not for the grinders many would not have been able to afford gear to do STFs with or progress through the Reputation system, or contribute to starbase projects. Some even fear that if these mission go that due to the limited time they can play they wont be able to contribute or ever progress in a reasonable amount of time and should just spend the little time they have for gaming playing something else. It would be a very sad day if a small group of Foundry Authors destroys the gaming experence and enjoyment for thousands of players.
Commander
# 22
01-27-2013, 02:06 PM
So if the Foundry was just broken down into catagorys so your mission's would be easy to find, that would make you happy? Then can you leave the Neccassary grind missions alone for the players that want to play them?

Last edited by admgreer; 01-27-2013 at 02:42 PM.
Captain
# 23
01-27-2013, 02:21 PM
Did you know you can go just BUY sheets of gold stars? You can!

And then you can carefully peel off each one and put them wherever you want!
Captain
# 24
01-27-2013, 02:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by branflakes
EDIT: Authors, I've told you the team is investigating this. I'm not sure what more I can do But, the passive-aggressive posts are not helping, and quite frankly, I'm actually really disappointed that such respected members of the Foundry community are resorting to threads and posts like this. I understand you're frustrated, and I've heard you loud and clear -- I've passed along your feedback, and the team is investigating. I'd suggest you take a look at how your voices are contributing to the issue, as from how I see it, you're not helping your cause. Thank you. -Brandon
Could you please take a look at the suggestions for a filtering/tagging system to allow authors to identify their mission type (story vs. grinder), that are going on in other threads? I think that in addition to the frustrations being vented here and the "quick fix" by stopping loot drops from "timid" enemies, implementing tagging would allow people to find what they want and filter out what they're not interested in. And with tagging, even if a vengeful part of the player base decided to go after a type of mission they didn't like, resulting in the average rating for each type being significantly higher or lower than the other, I think the impact wouldn't be as harsh as what it is now where grinders have nearly completely dominated the story missions to where the stories are almost impossible to find. In essence you'd end up with two rating scales running in parallel, completely separate from each other.

Of course I would recommend a long testing period on Tribble before implementing this, and making sure to be open to suggestions for refining it once it hits Holodeck, because you can be quite sure that something will not work as intended at first.

I hope this might offer a positive, long-term solution.
Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM me for more. :-)

Sig by gulberat. Avatar credit to balsavor.deviantart.com

Last edited by gulberat; 01-27-2013 at 02:38 PM.
Career Officer
# 25
01-27-2013, 03:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirksplat View Post
Oh well, I'm off to play HippieJohn's new mission on Elite and spend about 40 minutes fighting with the exchange for my ECs. It's a lot of work to resell all the free loot. I wish the time I spent at the exchange counted toward the average completion time of these farming missions. Every single one would qualify for the IOR.
But you are spending TIME in the game. And according to Stahl, Dilithium is granted per time unit in the game -- effort really isn't part of the equation, they just want the time sink. They already nerfed the system so you can only get x amount of loot (and XP) per day from Foundry missions -- doing any more would just be catering to a less than half dozen extremists who think they own the Foundry.
Career Officer
# 26
01-27-2013, 04:42 PM
Sorry Hippy, now I feel real bad.

Tipped and gave you 5 stars... though then again never claimed to be all that bright.

Back to topic, these grinders do have their place and are a real savior for small fleets and casual gamers who don't have 4 hour blocks of time to play.

Exterminating these mission or rewards for them will probably get rid of a good number of pure exploit farmers, but it could also cost the game some of those previously mentioned casual gamers who may play some of the true foundry story content.

Simply put I don't want to see the baby thrown out with the bathwater.

This electronic galaxy we play in requires revenue to exist, and these farmers certainly get it flowing for good or bad. Casual players do occasionally toss in some coin. I want our little digital cosmos to continue, as there are so many more brave new worlds waiting to be discovered, which you and other authors are kind enough to create. (you too Devs)

I agree we need an improved forum mission filter with a scaling rewards system. That way great stories can be found, played and rewarded for the time spent in them.

Nuff said.
I used to have f/x, till my video card took a S9 to the knee...
....but I'm all better now....
Thanks CrypticFrost, CrypticCliff & everyone else involved!

Last edited by philosophere; 01-27-2013 at 06:28 PM.
Captain
# 27
01-27-2013, 06:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by admgreer View Post
So if the Foundry was just broken down into catagorys so your mission's would be easy to find, that would make you happy? Then can you leave the Neccassary grind missions alone for the players that want to play them?
I would be happy with that, but I do think the exploit is an exploit. I have no real issue with grinders. Cryptic makes them. I made one of my own. It's a legit way to test builds and if it's what a player wants to do, so be it. I can respect it if someone doesn't want story and just wants to blow stuff up.

But the loot farming exploits need to be dealt with by Cryptic. It's spreading like crazy, and it could really hurt them if all it takes to get a key is an hour of target practice. If a fleet or a player wants to kill 75 battleships to max out their Foundry loot, then he or she needs to actually fight 75 battleships or at least assist in a big space war.

Players who want story should be able to filter out the grinders, and grinders who want grind should be able to filter out the story.
Career Officer
# 28
01-27-2013, 06:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirksplat View Post
I would be happy with that, but I do think the exploit is an exploit. I have no real issue with grinders. Cryptic makes them. I made one of my own. It's a legit way to test builds and if it's what a player wants to do, so be it. I can respect it if someone doesn't want story and just wants to blow stuff up.

But the loot farming exploits need to be dealt with by Cryptic. It's spreading like crazy, and it could really hurt them if all it takes to get a key is an hour of target practice. If a fleet or a player wants to kill 75 battleships to max out their Foundry loot, then he or she needs to actually fight 75 battleships or at least assist in a big space war.

Players who want story should be able to filter out the grinders, and grinders who want grind should be able to filter out the story.
This.
Everything he just said.
I can respect that you need Fleet Marks, and Dilithium, and hell even Loots to make the EC. I have no argument with you there. We all need these things.
But you can't really say that blowing up 75 ships that sit in a nebula that brings down their shields, while they don't fight back isn't an exploit.

You want a grind to get all the needed stuffs (marks, dil, etc) I can respect that.
Hell Man, I'll build an actual real one with minimal dialog and so much freaking space combat your head will spin. But you'll have to actually sit at the controls and fight increasing waves of enemies designed to take up about 20 - 25 minutes of the 30 minute cooldown.

That's a grind.

I believe that missions set up with wave after wave of a single type of enemy to help people get accolades are great honestly. They make a lot of sense.

Look. I can accept that some people don't like to play story missions. By the same token, some people don't like the nothing but Pew Pew Missions.

No one wants to take away your ability to earn Marks at a rapid pace for your fleet.
We all need that.
Do you really think that some elitist Foundry community is sitting around conspiring about how to make this harder on everyone ?
No, man. We want you to be able to find actual combat oriented missions that actually test your skill and builds for 15 minutes, and earn the Fleet Marks you need, while those who want story can do it that way.
Doing it via exploit. That's what I (and I imagine others) have a problem with.

Add two simple tabs to the danged interface.

Combat & Story

I'll stay away from yours and you guys can stay away from ours.
We'll all be happy.

peace

Last edited by hippiejon; 01-27-2013 at 06:39 PM.
Commander
# 29
01-27-2013, 07:18 PM
Well there is a patch tomorrow, lets hold our breath and wait for the ruling. I hope nothing changes except for the seperate search tabs.

Edit: Tomorrow's patch has nothing to do with the Foundry. -Brandon

Last edited by pwebranflakes; 01-27-2013 at 07:26 PM.
Captain
# 30
01-27-2013, 07:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by admgreer View Post
I hope nothing changes except for the seperate search tabs.
If Dstahl himself thought it was a good idea, we wouldn't see it until like August at the earliest. The spotlights are now a year in the making, and their rewards aren't even fully implemented.