Ensign
# 61
01-27-2013, 12:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by badname834854 View Post
Lightning Bolt! Lightning Bolt!

LULZ!!!

My experience with RPers has been one of xenophobia - always reticent about including others into their cadres without a three-page description about their toon.

I know not all are like this, but c'mon...
This is necessary for consistent roleplay, for several reasons.

a) If you're unknown to the group nobody will know what to expect from you. A game such as STO breeds power gamers. In the PvE part of the game the player's character and ship are always a lot stronger than the opponents they meet, with the correct setup it's possible to simultaneously tackle dozens of ships, for example. This is frowned upon by most in the RP community and asking for a bio will put your character into perspective, allowing them to figure out if and how you'll fit into the group.

b) Often, RP characters are not exactly what they look like on the outside. The game allows for the creation of only Starfleet or KDF officers. There are no civilians, no enlisted, no members of any other organisations that can be represented by the player's avatar or toon, as you call it. In order to allow other players in the group to react to yours in an appropriate fashion, background information is very helpful.

c) Depending on the type of RP, it's important for people who participate, and especially a game master (i.e. the one who directs a plot-driven RP), to know about specific skills, powers and knowledge a given character has. While the characters won't know that right off the start, it's important knowledge for the players to have, as that tells them what they can and cannot do. It also gives them the ability to call another player out on suddenly adding a skill or an ability to their characters as it suits the situation, thereby playing themselves into the foreground and heroically saving the day, side-lining everyone else in the game.

Now, claiming it's three pages, I'm sure, is a bit of an exaggeration on your part. I, for one, only write biographies this long for forum or e-mail based games, where there's a lot more focus on writing the part, writing about what the character thinks and feels much more than about what the character says and does.

For the purposes of a run-of-the-mill improvised RP, such as meeting at a bar on Drozana station or by the fountain on Bajor, just having a friendly chat and downing a few drinks, a two or three paragraph introductions of your character is entirely sufficient, and there's plenty of space for that in the character bio section you can fill out in-game.
Captain
# 62
01-27-2013, 05:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by calidhris View Post
It's not the way all other usual chat features work. Deviation from the norm, in this case, means the chance for accidental power activation or running around, breaking an emote, are a lot higher than they would otherwise be.

But this is only a minor issue, a small inconvenience. By far the biggest issue is that you can't fully ignore the trolls.
You can still click on the chat box.

As for ignoring trolls, you can try changing instances. If they follow you from instance to instance, you know they're actually an RP troll, and not someone just running around with a fire extinguisher, and then you can report them.

Of course, they only know you're RPing if you use local chat, and it's much easier to not draw attention if you use a chat channel or other private channel.
Ensign
# 63
01-28-2013, 11:46 AM
If you use a private chat channel there's no chance you can attract other people to the RP in the hopes of expanding the player base.

The problem with reporting the trolls is that I have never seen that do any good. I've reported some of the Dental guys so many times and they always come back pulling the same stuff again, and new ones pop up all the time.

That is the downside of a game that's free to play, it doesn't take any effort to create a new account, fit out a Lieutenant level toon (and in this case I use this word advisedly) and start trolling. There's no way the GMs can be on top of this unless they're actively present and monitoring the situation as it develops.

Also, changing instance is not always possible. I've often received a "no possible maps" error message when I tried. I would assume this is due to not enough people at that particular location at that particular time but I'm not sure about the actual reason.

If, however, players are given the option to completely ignore other players, including visuals, on social maps, nobody would have a reason to complain any more and this form of trolling would disappear.

That would then only leave public queue PvP and PvE mission trolling, really. I don't know what could be done to effectively limit that, but then that's an entirely different topic altogether.

Now, I realise your suggestions are not meant as a cure-all to the problem, they're ways of dealing with the situation in the limited way that is currently possible in the game. My suggestion is meant to eliminate the problem at its core.

Recently, trollers at Drozana station have begun shooting at other players, throwing grenades at them, exploding bombs... basically using all kinds of combat.

Previously this wasn't possible, weapons used to be disabled on social maps such as Drozana. I don't know why this was suddenly doable but it led to an entirely new form of trolling, as with that players could be disrupted away from terminals and even killed, forcing them to respawn.

Personally, I believe anyone who shot at other players at Drozana should be found out in the chat-logs, fined a large amount of in-game currency and banned for a month. Maybe that'll teach them.
Lieutenant
# 64
02-01-2013, 08:03 AM
Hello again everyone! Just a reminder the roundtables are tommorrow!

There will be 2 roundtable timeslots: one at 11am PST (8pm CET), and another at 5pm PST (8pm EST). We will be meeting up on Risa! See you tomorrow!
Lieutenant
# 65
02-01-2013, 08:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by varzec View Post
Hello again everyone! Just a reminder the roundtables are tommorrow!

There will be 2 roundtable timeslots: one at 11am PST (8pm CET), and another at 5pm PST (8pm EST). We will be meeting up on Risa! See you tomorrow!
Definitely will try to be there. I'm excited!
Captain Steven "Sarge" DePoe, Senior Captain, Aurcanis Star Operations; CO USS Leyte Gulf
Captain Marida Harper, Co-Director 5th Armored Division; CO USS Infinity
Captain Gurrat Reen, member MACO 7th Fleet, CO USS Milwaukee
Commander Korn, General, House MeQ'pu'yay 7th KAG
Lt. Commander
# 66
02-01-2013, 08:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by felderburg View Post

Of course, they only know you're RPing if you use local chat, and it's much easier to not draw attention if you use a chat channel or other private channel.

That isn't entirely true, I know from experience and yes...it was Dental.
Former PWE Community Team Lead
# 67
02-01-2013, 05:56 PM
A friendly reminder that our RP Roundtable discussion is in-game tomorrow on Risa at 11AM PST (7PM GMT) and 5PM PST (8PM EST). More info in the Guest Blog: http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=804761

We hope to see you there!

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Brandon "BranFlakes" Felczer | Former Community Team Lead for Perfect World Entertainment
Starfleet Veteran
# 68
02-01-2013, 08:37 PM
Brian, do we have any plans for which instance we'll be using of Risa? In the event that different shards are created, will there be a chat channel to use?
Vice Admiral Corris Sprint (@sprint01)
Commanding Officer - 26th Fleet [RP]
Star Trek: Praetorian Official Website
Former PWE Community Team Lead
# 69
02-01-2013, 09:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by warpedcore View Post
Brian, do we have any plans for which instance we'll be using of Risa? In the event that different shards are created, will there be a chat channel to use?
Brandon*

We'll have more details once the event starts, but we don't expect there to be multiple instances of Risa. If there are, we'll use Zone chat to communicate more instructions

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Brandon "BranFlakes" Felczer | Former Community Team Lead for Perfect World Entertainment
Lieutenant
# 70
02-01-2013, 09:45 PM
Can I just say that this roundtable has me gidd with excitement? I only get to see a small part of the RP community, and I look forward to meeting new people, as well as discussing new ways to improve the game.
Captain Steven "Sarge" DePoe, Senior Captain, Aurcanis Star Operations; CO USS Leyte Gulf
Captain Marida Harper, Co-Director 5th Armored Division; CO USS Infinity
Captain Gurrat Reen, member MACO 7th Fleet, CO USS Milwaukee
Commander Korn, General, House MeQ'pu'yay 7th KAG