Captain
# 11
01-26-2013, 06:27 PM
That having been said, I do appreciate good map design and will rate one well even if the story is so-so.
# 12
01-26-2013, 07:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by djf021 View Post
So I've only created two missions so far, one for Fed side, one for KDF side. My Fed one has been around since last October, but has only recieved 29 reviews. The good news is out of those 29, I have about a 3.9 out of 5 rating (which I don't think is too bad for a first try). So my situation is I have a decently rated mission that virtually no one knows about.

My question is, what is it about a mission that makes players go "That was cool! I'm gonna tell everyone I know who plays Foundry!"??? Is it a matter of length, or balance between reading and action?

Or is my own job of marketing the problem? I've listed them in my signature, posted about them in the promotion threads, etc., even noting that it qualifies for the "officer reports" repeatable. What else can I do to get more people to play?

Thanks for your time!
Interesting question. What formerly made a good mission in the pre F2P days of STO, was, story content. If you completed a mission and felt like you just watched an episode of Star Trek, no doubt, it was a good mission. This was actually harder to do than it seems, because the Foundry was still confined to STO's formulaic, MMO, gameplay of "kill 5 guys, walk down the road, kill 5 more guys, wash, rinse, repeat, until you heard the TNG music que up. However, a good storyteller could do it.

In the post, F2P, era, story telling has since, fallen out of favor. This is primarily due to the story focused player base migrating away from STO, and being replaced with a more, generic, MMO, leveling, type of playerbase. Players like this, don't much care for stories, or canon. They are much more focused on the "get in, get off, get out, scenario. These allow for maximizing reward, while placing a premium, on time to complete. Indeed, at one point, there were foundry missions, where you simply logged into them, and got the dilithium.

So to answer your question, I would say, make the mission as short as possible, forego any extraneous story elements, keep the focus simple, (kill five guys, down the road, kill five more etc...)set all bad guys on "timid" and give players as much dilithium as is possible. That's about all you can do.

Last edited by mkilczewski; 01-26-2013 at 07:13 PM.
Commander
OK, then as OP, I humbly ask that some of you following this post take the time to try mine:

For Fed side, "Damaged Goods". About the search for a missing freighter which uncovers a much bigger, and deadlier, plot. Qualifies for "Officer reports".

For KDF side, "A Warrior's Academy: Mission 1". The first of what I hope to be a series, take your captain through a special academy designed to destroy the Federation. A new twist on the old classic "Klingon Academy", only with new stories, and incorporating the current timeline's alliances. Still needs to get out of review stage.

I'd seriously like to know what I can do with "Damaged Goods", the one with a good rating, but only 29 plays. Perhaps it could be shorter? Or broken up into parts 1 and 2?
Any comments in this thread would be much appreciated, and hopefully more descriptive than the short comments in the reviews.

Thanks, and keep the answers coming about what makes a good mission. I want to keep learning.

If you like Foundry missions, try mine here!
Starfleet Veteran
# 14
01-26-2013, 10:43 PM
Since I haven't seen it pointed out (sorry if I missed it) a huge part of making a mission successful is marketing. There are tens if not hundreds of thousands of missions in the Foundry, and unless you have some super mission that gets nothing but 5 stars, it's going to get buried. It's up to you to let people know.

1. Advertise it on the forums, there's a whole subsection dedicated to listing new missions.
  2. Advertise it on StarbaseUGC.com.
  3. Make a trailer/promotional poster. (Great to advertise on the above.)
  4. Put an eye-catching graphic in your signature.
  5. Getting one of the Foundry podcasts to review it: PodcastUGC, Foundry Files, Priority One, BroadcastUGC and PrimetimeUGC.
  6. If you feel your mission is good enough you can submit it for featuring.

@greendragoon

Last edited by thegreendragoon1; 01-26-2013 at 10:47 PM.
Survivor of Romulus
# 15
01-27-2013, 02:04 PM
I don't know if or which is the "perfect strategy" for making a successful foundry mission.

Today I've played Kirkfats mission The Needs of Few which was a wonderful and entertaining story mission. It took me about 90 minutes (I am not a native speaker so maybe that's why I had a longer playtime because I read "slower") to finish.

After this mission I've played Kirkfats Arena Rumble. Actually I don't enjoy pure Battle-/No-Story missions that much but in this case I was just curious ^^

Maybe I do remember wrong but I think it has more runs/playthroughs than the other one... Feel free to correct me on this one. Anyway this could be a hint. Unfortunately. Lootz rules everything.

To "answer" your question - from my point of view - keep an eye to your target audience. Do you want to tell a good/epic story or do you want a lot of playthroughs? A disclaimer like "this mission contains a lot of reading and there's no Pew-Pew in it" could be helpful. It could save you from silly ratings like "too much reading" and so on.
Also the number 1 rule is: tell the player where to start the mission! Seriously: there are so many missions in the foundry where you/the player has either no clue or to drop and reread the opening dialogue again.

Also I have to agree with promoting it on the forum and send it to the Podcasts and/or their webpages. Back in the days I played only missions from the Grand Nagus List because I realised that his "taste" is similar to mine. These days I check out either starbaseUGC or this forum to find missions that I could enjoy. The Foundry Challenges missions are also a good way to promote your mission.

Greetings Nahari

Last edited by naharikajal; 01-27-2013 at 02:14 PM.
Commander
# 16
01-27-2013, 02:20 PM
if you want a missoin to get the most play's them make a mission players can use to complete the IOR daily in the least amount of time. Needs to be 15 min I believe. If the Sect of Elitist Foundry Authors get thier way and the Grinder missions like the Farmer Qwark or Easy money get removed the players will go back to doing Battleship Royal to do the Daily IOR, The next most run mission wiill be whatever lets players get the IOR done the quickest and easiest.
Captain
# 17
01-27-2013, 02:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreendragoon1 View Post
Since I haven't seen it pointed out (sorry if I missed it) a huge part of making a mission successful is marketing. There are tens if not hundreds of thousands of missions in the Foundry, and unless you have some super mission that gets nothing but 5 stars, it's going to get buried. It's up to you to let people know.

1. Advertise it on the forums, there's a whole subsection dedicated to listing new missions.
  5. Getting one of the Foundry podcasts to review it: PodcastUGC, Foundry Files, Priority One, BroadcastUGC and PrimetimeUGC.
I would add to this, have your fleet play through the mission. Obviously your fleet should be sincere in their ratings and not just 5-star to game the system, but if you did a good job, you should find your friends quite willing to help you not just as a friend but on your mission's merits. That was the advice that someone gave me here, that helped me get above some of the grind missions. And my mission is NOT a very complicated thing from a "Foundry magic" or "custom map" standpoint. Something about it, though, seems to have worked for some people.

That, and I would also say that if you are going to do like me and have a mostly story, little combat mission, put disclaimers all over the thing. On mine, you see what it is in the description AND I (or my in-game avatar) warns you again before you really get into the mission, that you're in for a 60-90 minute run time with a good bit of reading required. (Most players are reporting 60 minutes, but I intentionally padded the time a bit on the grounds that non-native speakers might take longer, and better to make it very clear to people what they were getting into.) I've still had a few "too long" reviews and so forth, but I think that being very up-front about it has cut down on some of that stuff.

Also, if you have a mission-breaking bug or something that people are finding very unclear, address the problem--and don't just address the problem: contact those who gave you the negative review, thank them politely for letting you know, and tell them you have fixed it. Sometimes those individuals will revise their review to reflect your corrections.
Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM me for more. :-)

Sig by gulberat. Avatar credit to balsavor.deviantart.com
Captain
# 18
01-27-2013, 05:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreendragoon1 View Post

I don't think ALL of this is necessary, I only really use a few people reviewing missions and I have the benefit of a pair of contest winners, one of which is spotlighted. Other than that though, I've never had a trailer or a banner and I honestly have been really lazy about making/keeping up a list of my foundry missions on even my fleet's website. I still got a fair amount of plays per-official spotlight feature and S7 list clogging.
Captain
# 19
01-27-2013, 06:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by naharikajal View Post
I don't know if or which is the "perfect strategy" for making a successful foundry mission.

Today I've played Kirkfats mission The Needs of Few which was a wonderful and entertaining story mission. It took me about 90 minutes (I am not a native speaker so maybe that's why I had a longer playtime because I read "slower") to finish.

After this mission I've played Kirkfats Arena Rumble. Actually I don't enjoy pure Battle-/No-Story missions that much but in this case I was just curious ^^

Maybe I do remember wrong but I think it has more runs/playthroughs than the other one... Feel free to correct me on this one. Anyway this could be a hint. Unfortunately. Lootz rules everything.
Thank you for playing my missions. I'm kind of embarrassed that I made that rumble arena, but it is what it is. The grinder mission doesn't have more plays, but it does have a higher rating and more plays per day.

I do have other missions that fit with you impressions. For example, I did perhaps an extreme amount of building on "Trojan Horse." It took me well over 100 hours to make that mission. My grinder, which took about 6 hours (mostly adding details to the arena) has twice the plays and a higher rating.

I've been spamming my sig image for months.

Thanks again for your kind words.
Starfleet Veteran
# 20
01-27-2013, 07:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by designationxr377 View Post
I don't think ALL of this is necessary, I only really use a few people reviewing missions and I have the benefit of a pair of contest winners, one of which is spotlighted. Other than that though, I've never had a trailer or a banner and I honestly have been really lazy about making/keeping up a list of my foundry missions on even my fleet's website. I still got a fair amount of plays per-official spotlight feature and S7 list clogging.
Didn't mean to imply that all those were necessary. Just suggestions on ways to promote a foundry mission.

@greendragoon