Lt. Commander
# 1 The exchange and its poor UI
01-27-2013, 05:12 PM
Why is the exchange UI so crappy? I've been meaning to post on this for awhile and keep putting it off. This specifically concerns doffs.

Why is there no way to tell which faction a doff is part of before purchasing? This problem is extremely obvious right now. Of coarse I can tell what faction a common doff is. Or by looking for a specific species. But right now, there are all these new Jem'Hadar Doffs on the exchange. They are pretty nice too. How do you tell if they are KDF/UPF? You need to have an eagle eye to notice the SLIGHT change in background colors between the two factions. It was the same with the Temporal doffs from the last box.

Point is. Why is the exchange laid out like that? Is it a joke or just poor design?

How about a line added to the description saying the doffs faction. Or maybe a filter to sort out the KDF/UFP doffs when we search?
Starfleet Veteran
# 2
01-27-2013, 05:20 PM
Personally I'd like to see the death of the exchange all together, there is so much botting and bots price fixing on it that it is sickening.

The UI in general is poor, it needs an overhaul. The constant skill cast lag comes to mind.

| Join Date: January 2009 | Computer | Fleet: Broken Wings |
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-27-2013, 06:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsf00181 View Post
Why is there no way to tell which faction a doff is part of before purchasing? This problem is extremely obvious right now. Of coarse I can tell what faction a common doff is. Or by looking for a specific species. But right now, there are all these new Jem'Hadar Doffs on the exchange. They are pretty nice too. How do you tell if they are KDF/UPF? You need to have an eagle eye to notice the SLIGHT change in background colors between the two factions. It was the same with the Temporal doffs from the last box.
If you seriously can't tell the difference then you might be colourblind. It's very easy to tell.

I do agree, however, that the exchange UI doesn't handle doffs well at all. There should be a completely separate exchange for doffs for the reason, so you can search by faction, specialization, traits, maybe species as well. Doffs are just so different from regular inventory that they should be separated.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-27-2013, 06:26 PM
Screenshots. You can barely tell there's a blue background on the federation Dominion Prisoner, its easy to see if you take a second and pause. The Hideous red doesn't help, but I've gotten used to that.

The second is the Jem'Hadar Transporter officer from the new pack.I don't know if these are KDF or UFP. I can't tell if they are KDF or UFP of planets because they all have a brown background. KDF is slightly darker background. Point is, no one should have to stop and stare at the screen to see what faction the product is. it should be clearly marked either through an obvious color, or with a line of text somewhere in the description.

http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/9...appyuicopy.jpg

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/5276/crappyui2.jpg
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-27-2013, 07:14 PM
Then that issue is KDF exclusive because they're very obviously different on the Fed side. At any rate, that's not an issue with the exchange, but with the doff portraits.
Career Officer
# 6
01-27-2013, 08:28 PM
simple solution is to add..... (UFP)/(KDF) before the new ground/space tag on doffs that was put in with the last patch.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-27-2013, 08:51 PM
Simpler solution is to just have the doff profiles show up for KDF the same as they do for Fed, instead of making them different for no reason.
Commander
# 8
01-27-2013, 09:49 PM
Or at least add mini Fed and KDF symbols on the bottom right or top left of the portrait. Kinda like a playing card.
Rihannsu
# 9
01-28-2013, 03:15 AM
I need to zoom in those screenshots to even see there is a background at all behind the mugshot. In my game I have the UI scale set higher but still need to look carefully to tell what the doff faction is. It's usually faster to right-click and look at the rank (except on civilians).

They should mark all doffs' faction with the blue/red border, not just white doffs. Show the rarity with a glowing corner like on items, instead of covering the entire border. This would make them instantly identifiable at any size.

They should also add a search filter for faction.
Commander
# 10
01-28-2013, 08:55 AM
A trait search option would be nice for doffs and boffs, also a option to only see your faction as well as keeping the option to see both factions.