Lt. Commander
Good news to our forum veterans: For this upcoming Ask Cryptic, we’re not talking about combat! Instead, we’ll be focusing on player progression. We’ll be focusing on how your character becomes more powerful and the systems behind that, rather than content or story progression, at least this time around. If you have a question you’d like to ask, just ask it in this post’s comment thread.
You can also read on to learn more about player progression.

Link to the news article.
Lt. Commander
# 2
09-16-2009, 07:56 PM
Will advancement in rank and skill points be awarded for PVP encounters? For example: Can I 'level' my character completely through PvP means?
Lt. Commander
# 3
09-16-2009, 07:57 PM
Hey that's pretty cool. I wasn't sure how skill based leveling would work but I like it. I'm assuming once you reach Admiral you can still get more skill points up to a certain point at which you'd be maxed? Forgive me if it was in the article and I didn't understand correctly.
Lt. Commander
# 4 How many skills
09-16-2009, 07:57 PM
Hi there

How many skills will be availiable in the choosen skill tree?

i mean if i choose science how many buyables skills will the whole tree hold

Achuta
Lt. Commander
# 5
09-16-2009, 08:00 PM
is it possible to advance in an enviroment of exploration doing small quests here and there on the planets i find but always going forward into the unknown, and if so how is that advance on par with doing pvp and staying closer to the federation where im sure the number of missions is bound to be higher.
Lt. Commander
# 6
09-16-2009, 08:03 PM
So as an Engineer. I want to fly a Science vessel at end game, notably, the Luna class. But I wish to fly cruisers for the mid game levels as I like them better than the low tiered Science vessels. Is this possible or am I locked into a class of vessels depending on early choices? Will I be able to maintain pace with 2 or more ship types or will this slow my progression.

Bj
Lt. Commander
# 7
09-16-2009, 08:04 PM
I play Eve atm, so I'm all for a skill based system (makes it easier for me to transition lol). However, I've long since tired of the time based learning of the skills in Eve. It was fun at first, but now, at the 30 million SP mark, it takes me a week to two weeks to level up just one level (true, I'm learning the capital skills atm, but you know lol). Okay, enough of the background, I guess my two questions are:

1) If we change our focus (say from Tactical to Engineering) will we start at the Lieutenant skill level for the new 'branch'?

2) I like the usage of skill points and allocating them to where I want over the time based Eve model. I'm not looking to get a 'max' character quickly, but I'm hoping it's not set up as a 'grind fest' for the skill points either. I guess Is it more of a 'play more, get skill points quicker' setup?

Sorry if these questions are covered in your news article (I had a question I was going to ask, then re-read the article and you had answered it lol); if they are, I will /facepalm myself happily. Thanks for the time! (Also, any chance we could see some of these skill lists? :begbegbeg
Lt. Commander
# 8
09-16-2009, 08:07 PM
Did I miss the part where we ask questions to get "Ask Cryptic" answers? :\ hmmm...slip up...

anyways, can we reset these skill points (like a WoW talent Respec) or are we locked in forever/until we make an alt?
Lt. Commander
# 9
09-16-2009, 08:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fractal_Eye
I play Eve atm, so I'm all for a skill based system (makes it easier for me to transition lol). However, I've long since tired of the time based learning of the skills in Eve. It was fun at first, but now, at the 30 million SP mark, it takes me a week to two weeks to level up just one level (true, I'm learning the capital skills atm, but you know lol). Okay, enough of the background, I guess my two questions are:

1) If we change our focus (say from Tactical to Engineering) will we start at the Lieutenant skill level for the new 'branch'?

2) I like the usage of skill points and allocating them to where I want over the time based Eve model. I'm not looking to get a 'max' character quickly, but I'm hoping it's not set up as a 'grind fest' for the skill points either. I guess Is it more of a 'play more, get skill points quicker' setup?

Sorry if these questions are covered in your news article (I had a question I was going to ask, then re-read the article and you had answered it lol); if they are, I will /facepalm myself happily. Thanks for the time! (Also, any chance we could see some of these skill lists? :begbegbeg
im pretty sure you wont be able to change from Tact to Engineering. They are your class (its like going from Paladin to Mage. im pretty sure Blizzard doesn't offer paid class changes yet...)
Lt. Commander
# 10
09-16-2009, 08:08 PM
Thats interesting how our toons lvl up in ranks, it looks great so far.