Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 18
# 1 KDF worth playing for PVE?
01-27-2013, 08:14 PM
Im curious as a PVEr if playing a Klingon is even worth doing? I know absolutely nothing about playing a klingon, only that I've been told its mostly for PVP. I have noticed a severe lack of outfitting for Klingons in the cash shop.

curious what the overall attitude was for the klingons
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 696
# 2
01-27-2013, 08:23 PM
The KDF do have unique missions and story arcs if that's what you mean. Not so many compared to the Feds, but they are there. Plus there are some arcs that are available to both factions, like the Breen, and the Devidians. PVE isn't the KDF's strong point; but it's there if your just looking for something new to do.

I'd recommend checking it out anyway.
________________________________________________

Exploration suggestions thread - give it a read
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,243
# 3
01-27-2013, 08:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoopapa View Post
Im curious as a PVEr if playing a Klingon is even worth doing? I know absolutely nothing about playing a klingon, only that I've been told its mostly for PVP. I have noticed a severe lack of outfitting for Klingons in the cash shop.

curious what the overall attitude was for the klingons
What content the KDF has is well worth playing. Its very good and very klingon but doesnt really fill the void that seperates us from the main story of STO. Also the foundry has several excellent choices but we as a faction need more to tie us into STO better.
Not to mention a level one start among many other things.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,667
# 4
01-27-2013, 09:20 PM
Some of the KDF-specific missions are really good, some of them are just silly and annoying. The other thing to consider is the ships and the differences they make even for the shared content. There's nothing quite like piloting a Bird of Prey, particularly if set up as not-an-escort. It may not be the most efficient ship in the game, but its silly fun to pilot. Also if you want to give carriers a shot, the only zen-free way to do that is the Vo'quv, so it can be educational as well. Lastly there is the profit motive if nothing else, as Klingon doffing is a good source of dilithium (via prisoners and contraband), and since you get a free KDF character slot anyways, may as well put it to use.
Republic Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,189
# 5
01-28-2013, 07:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reginamala78 View Post
Some of the KDF-specific missions are really good, some of them are just silly and annoying. The other thing to consider is the ships and the differences they make even for the shared content. There's nothing quite like piloting a Bird of Prey, particularly if set up as not-an-escort. It may not be the most efficient ship in the game, but its silly fun to pilot. Also if you want to give carriers a shot, the only zen-free way to do that is the Vo'quv, so it can be educational as well. Lastly there is the profit motive if nothing else, as Klingon doffing is a good source of dilithium (via prisoners and contraband), and since you get a free KDF character slot anyways, may as well put it to use.
kar'fi is free as well if you happen to have the vet reward for the free level 50 ship token.
Joined Sept 09.

Curse you Archived Post.... you stole all my Ideas.
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,273
# 6
01-28-2013, 08:22 AM
From an actual KDF player here is the run down... Yes it has *some* Klingon specific content, and the Featured Episodes (although its same as feds so there is no KDF perspective in them). As far as end game the KDF gets the same content as the federation does the only difference is there is the Tau Dewa sort of has a KDF perspective to it but thats the only thing. So pretty much you get the same stuff just fewer but better ships than the federation. Also when it comes to KDF races they are fewer but you could pull off better traits to use in unison than most of the fed ones do.

The only side note anyone who loved the Klingon parts of all the TV series and movies pretty much plays the KDF since there are not many games out there that allow you to play something other than the federation. The biggest turning points for me 2 years ago were loving the Klingons as mentioned above and then the Klingon designed ships and how they worked somewhat like they did in the series compared to the fed ones the defiant had no battle cloak, the intrepid got that armor but 10 seconds every like 2 or 3 minutes was *bleh*, and then a multi vector splits apart and has 2 pieces of burning paper hull every 4 minutes that you can use it without much benefit to the player. So KDF was the better choice for me .
Survivor of Romulus
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,432
# 7
01-28-2013, 09:09 AM
One thing a can say about the KDF portion of STO is that it's certainly different from what you have experienced so far on the Federation side. Personally, I do much more PvE than PvP actually, I like it better and kind of have more fun playing my KDF despite the lack of Klingon specific content, which as they say will be adressed in the following season. The missions, though, that are purely Klingon are awesome! And there is always the foundry, which has a number of Klingon specific missions that would help you fill the gap.

I encourage you to try it, you'll never know wheather you like it or not if you don't try. When I first installed STO I didn't expect to end up on the Klingon side, but as I said, I find the KDF much nicer and much more fun.
You will get a different perspective on the game, more battle-like aproach with purging fleets of enemy vessels from nebulae in Klingon space, then raiding Pi-Canis or Ferderation Freighters in sector space and you'll have the chance to comandeer unique ships like the Bird of Prey types that are tons of fun, Battlecruisers that can mount DHC and are actually worth playing or Flight-deck cruisers that can have pets or drones, if you're a cruiser man like me. The ability to have the cloak on most of the ships will also offer you a different approach and gaming experience. Oh, I have also seen that probably due to more limited selection of ships, KDF captains tend to really connect with and get to know their ship, which in consequence makes them better at STO, especially space combat, so it may actually help you improve on your game, I know it helped me.

All in all, I'd say it's worth at least to try.
Show your support for the Revamped Galaxy Class Exploration Cruiser here!
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,870
# 8
01-28-2013, 09:19 AM
KDF doesn't have as many z-store ships as Fed, but many of the ones they have are excellent, especially in pve. Guramba does great damage with its Javelin, the B'rel can mine and torpedo targets while cloaked, the Karfi does good dps with its combination of great pets and more tactical stations then other carriers, and the Bortasqu, while some people can't handle its bad turn, does more dps then any other cruiser and is very tanky.
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 18
# 9
01-28-2013, 04:53 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I wasnt aware of all the races. I plan on getting started with an Orion female but not sure which role i want to do. Just need to wait for the wife to go to sleep :-)
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,667
# 10
01-28-2013, 05:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoopapa View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I wasnt aware of all the races. I plan on getting started with an Orion female but not sure which role i want to do. Just need to wait for the wife to go to sleep :-)
Just don't waste a trait on the 'Seduce' ability, its actually pretty useless. Accurate, Elusive, and Warp Theorist, make her a gun bunny!

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:36 AM.