Ensign
# 1 Crypitc-Please Retcon us
01-28-2013, 02:46 PM
I don't know how much of this is Perpetual Entertainment's original ideas or Cryptic, but the game is a mess. We have more admirals flying around than captains. The Federation is at war with EVERYBODY. Strange new worlds are nowhere to be seen as the Federation is now on permanent war footing building more Warships than anything else. So many early missions are so badly written that we're left asking the bad guy what we should do. PVP is a mess. The themes of redemption, discovery and cooperation are out the window. Everything is out of whack. So in the spirit of Star Trek itself - Retcon us.
Just use an upcoming season to fix all this. Get the story straight. Figure out where you want to go. Then go back and tweak existing missions and story-lines. Hell, get Will Wheaton to do some voice work for a mission called "The Many Deaths of Wesley Crusher" where Wesley Crusher breaks time and we have to help him fix it, there by changing the story so far slightly.And with any and all solutions ending in a horrible random death for Wesley. Please ,something, your just painting yourselves into corners that are getting harder to get out of. I'm not asking for a new game, just that the game I'm playing make some kind of sense within the Star Trek universe.
You have one of the greatest resources at your finger tips- the Star Trek fan-base and the foundry. Use them to get the stories polished and streamlined. Star Trek Online still has the potential to be a GREAT MMO. Right now it's a mess. Let us help make it better.
Lieutenant
# 2
01-28-2013, 05:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by icoulter View Post
I don't know how much of this is Perpetual Entertainment's original ideas or Cryptic, but the game is a mess. We have more admirals flying around than captains. The Federation is at war with EVERYBODY. Strange new worlds are nowhere to be seen as the Federation is now on permanent war footing building more Warships than anything else. So many early missions are so badly written that we're left asking the bad guy what we should do. PVP is a mess. The themes of redemption, discovery and cooperation are out the window. Everything is out of whack. So in the spirit of Star Trek itself - Retcon us.
Just use an upcoming season to fix all this. Get the story straight. Figure out where you want to go. Then go back and tweak existing missions and story-lines. Hell, get Will Wheaton to do some voice work for a mission called "The Many Deaths of Wesley Crusher" where Wesley Crusher breaks time and we have to help him fix it, there by changing the story so far slightly.And with any and all solutions ending in a horrible random death for Wesley. Please ,something, your just painting yourselves into corners that are getting harder to get out of. I'm not asking for a new game, just that the game I'm playing make some kind of sense within the Star Trek universe.
You have one of the greatest resources at your finger tips- the Star Trek fan-base and the foundry. Use them to get the stories polished and streamlined. Star Trek Online still has the potential to be a GREAT MMO. Right now it's a mess. Let us help make it better.

I agree with this guy! Atleast do the many deaths of wesley thing... that would be hilarious!
ODYSSEY SCIENCE CRUISER - U.S.S. MAIDEN TORONTO NX-971312-B
VESTA MULTI-MISSION SURVEILLANCE EXPLORER - U.S.S. HOPE IN HELL NX-902013-A
Fleet member of Access Denied
Career Officer
# 3
01-28-2013, 06:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by icoulter View Post
You have one of the greatest resources at your finger tips- the Star Trek fan-base and the foundry.
Greatest for what, endless bickering?

To be honest the "Star Trek fan-base" isnt really efficient as a resource of good coherent ideas, we trip over each other in proposing conflicting ideas as marginally better than the other (TOS v TNG, ENT, awesome or abomination? JJ Trek, good or bad?)

I wish there was away to maintain a non-combat-oriented Trek MMO, from keeping it running to my own attention span. But there isnt a concrete proven idea that can make STO profitable AND be all about Fed core values.

Besides the KDF fans would uproar if this were to be the case...

alternatively if you made it that only KDF can strike first, get ready for some Fed QQ tears

I say, play the part of the game that suits you (foundry missions most likely), and if thats not working out for you, play something else. STO isnt gonna change dramatically to a potentially non-profitable direction (i dont wanna hear about how ST uni supposedly has no money :p, RL people)

Sidenote: i for one would be bored to tears if encounters in this game is just "the klingon captain is mad at you for crossing his territory, what do you say?" and penalizing combat responses.

I'd go to work for that.

Sidenote 2: I totally agree on retconning us to be just captains tho
Captain
# 4
01-28-2013, 06:35 PM
I don't see thousands of Vice Admirals. I see just one, me. Everyone is the chosen one and only one person can save the galaxy. It is the problem with MMOs creating the exact same mission content for every player. After all, they can't create individual content for everyone. Only problem with Admirals IMO is that they need more Admiral content and hopefully the level cap increase will introduce such content.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-28-2013, 06:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chandlerashari View Post

To be honest the "Star Trek fan-base" isnt really efficient as a resource of good coherent ideas, we trip over each other in proposing conflicting ideas as marginally better than the other (TOS v TNG, ENT, awesome or abomination? JJ Trek, good or bad?)

I wish there was away to maintain a non-combat-oriented Trek MMO, from keeping it running to my own attention span. But there isnt a concrete proven idea that can make STO profitable AND be all about Fed core values.

alternatively if you made it that only KDF can strike first, get ready for some Fed QQ tears

I say, play the part of the game that suits you (foundry missions most likely), and if thats not working out for you, play something else. STO isnt gonna change dramatically to a potentially non-profitable direction (i dont wanna hear about how ST uni supposedly has no money :p, RL people)

Sidenote: i for one would be bored to tears if encounters in this game is just "the klingon captain is mad at you for crossing his territory, what do you say?" and penalizing combat responses.

I'd go to work for that.

Obviously you know nothing about the Star Trek fanbase, this is why most of the real Trek fans left the game ages ago so they didn't have to put up with gamers. I agree with the OP. What we need is the Federation to show its core values, make the game fun and about the betterment of humanity.

Last edited by warbird001; 01-28-2013 at 06:41 PM.
Republic Veteran
# 6
01-28-2013, 06:53 PM
Star Trek fans HA! they are the worst fans to deal with, and have their own views on what Star Trek is.
Commander
# 7
01-28-2013, 06:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoakiraii View Post
Star Trek fans HA! they are the worst fans to deal with, and have their own views on what Star Trek is.
Trek fans have about as much chance of agreeing on what "Trek" consists of as they do on what flavor of ice cream they like.
Lagging, D/Cing, or rubberbanding? Here's some help.

Current ships: A lot. RTR 15 National Championships....and counting
Ensign
# 8
01-28-2013, 08:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starkaos View Post
I don't see thousands of Vice Admirals. I see just one, me. Everyone is the chosen one and only one person can save the galaxy. It is the problem with MMOs creating the exact same mission content for every player. After all, they can't create individual content for everyone. Only problem with Admirals IMO is that they need more Admiral content and hopefully the level cap increase will introduce such content.
Unless your doing a twenty man mission and then it's you and nineteen other Vice Admirals. Or you're in a Starbase. Or flying through system space. It's not an MMO problem-it's bad writing and design. We should never have been Admirals in the first place. Introducing new systems like a Vice Admiral five man solo fleet combat system just adds to the alarmingly high bug count and unbalances the system further.
Ensign
# 9
01-28-2013, 08:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chandlerashari View Post

I'd go to work for that.

I don't want a game and systems overhaul- just a writing overhaul. I storm an enemy starship , whipeout its crew and THEN ask it's captain,B'Vat, what should I do? or ask an Ensign in the The Kuvah'Magh what to do? List goes on. People got paid,PAID, real money to write that crap. There are a bunch of people writing much better stories and dialog for nothing in the Foundry-they are the resource I'm referring too. Hell,I'd love to have Cryptic just give us a mission a week to polish in the Foundry-no systems change,exact same mission mechanics-just let the Foundry players rewrite the half ass dialog.
Only real pain in the ass change I want is to get away from the whole Admiral thing...

Last edited by icoulter; 01-28-2013 at 08:30 PM.
Captain
# 10
01-28-2013, 08:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianmetalfan View Post
I agree with this guy! Atleast do the many deaths of wesley thing... that would be hilarious!

There is a book where Veger's big brother is at the center of the galaxy opening wormholes and tossing solar systems into the black hole at the center of the galaxy. Wes shows up and and does his "traveler" thing to bring the enterprise there to deal with it. And he talks about running into a time anomaly and runs into 12 versions of himself and has to convince the other 11 of himself to die.