Career Officer
# 1 Tips I wish I knew earlier
01-28-2013, 06:53 AM
Hi all, just thought I'd pass on a few things I wish I had known earlier. First of all, setting weapons on autofire by right clicking each weapon till a green box appears around it. This seems obvious but I didnt know about it at first and it really opened up the combat side of the game for me. Second: Mines are awesome. They make so much more use in the rear than a torpedo does. Although this does depend on your playstyle: Mines really only work well if you like to get in close.

Now on to episodes. Personally I only really do the Klingon arc (Fed side) for the good starting equipment they provide. I found the other arcs too much hassle to bother with but then again, YOU might feel differently. If your rank is at least one higher than a given episode, you have the option to SKIP it. I use this function to do the episodes I thought were ok and ignored the rest.

As for voicechat with friends I would like to give a shout out to the player who posted about Raidcall (www.raidcall.com). I dont remember their name, sorry. I had been using Skype with a real life friend but Skype uses so much resources that it would crash STO. On the other hand, stuff like Ventrilo requires a server and you need to be "tech savvy" to understand the set up process. Raidcall is very much "plug and play" like Skype but uses a fraction of the resources Skype does.

And before anyone asks, I know STO has a built in voicechat but you need to either group or be in a Fleet to use it and neither of those was an option for us. Hope this helps someone enjoy this MMORPG better
Tervok Romulan Science/KDF Ally (active)

Kalex 50 Starfleet science (inactive)

Vanra 50 Romulan/Fed Tactical (inactive)
Survivor of Romulus
# 2
01-28-2013, 12:05 PM
Autofire should be activated by default imo...I didn't know about that feature until I got frustrated with only firing 2 DHC's instead of all 3 plus turrets.
I was looking at keybinding when an old video mentioned right-clicking to enable autofire.

That was mere weeks ago...
I do NOT want to use ARC to play STO

"Far as I see it, you people been given the shortest end of the stick ever been offered a human soul in this crap-heel 'verse. But you took that end, and you - well, you took it. And that's - Well, I guess that's somethin'." - Some Random Guy's Epic Quote
Empire Veteran
# 3
01-28-2013, 06:26 PM
A tip I came across just last night, after playing this game for almost 3 years

When buying stuff from a vendor where you can only by 1 at a time type thing (say food via replicator), hold down CTRL and double click the item. Insta buys it. Saves the need for endlessly clicking OK dialogs.
Dislike the forum theme? Try THIS. Dislike the STO home page? Try THIS.
Devs, need Fleet Orion Marauder and Dacoit please! :-)

Using - Fleet Corsair, Voth Fighter. Favs - Mogh, Bastion, Monbosh, JHEC, JAS
Some others - Orion Marauder, Chel Grett, Guramba, Risian Corvette, Tholian Weaver
Career Officer
# 4
01-28-2013, 06:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eradicator84 View Post

When buying stuff from a vendor where you can only by 1 at a time type thing (say food via replicator), hold down CTRL and double click the item. Insta buys it. Saves the need for endlessly clicking OK dialogs.
I didn't know that one.
...... DaveyNY ...STO Forum Member since February - 2009
..............Star Trek Fan since Thursday Sept. 8th, 1966
There are No Longer any STO Veterans... We're Just People who have Played the Game for the last 4 years.
I Really Do Miss the little TOP Button at the bottom of the threads.
Career Officer
# 5
01-29-2013, 01:13 PM
Great tips guys Lets see if we can keep it going with others. Rezking I feel your pain
Tervok Romulan Science/KDF Ally (active)

Kalex 50 Starfleet science (inactive)

Vanra 50 Romulan/Fed Tactical (inactive)
Captain
# 6
02-02-2013, 02:46 AM
Speaking of autofire, I notice there is now a "maintain" option that's supposed to autofire while I hold the fire button down, then stop when I release it. An excellent feature.

Too bad it doesn't actually work, and instead makes it impossible to stop shooting at all.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-03-2013, 11:53 PM
Just found out about a nice tip last week.

While in the Khit space stf, when you blow the first gate and the mass of probes/ 2 spheres comes through, leave one sphere alive if possible and no more will come out of the gate.
Starfleet Veteran
# 8
02-04-2013, 12:09 AM
Quote:

Wow I did not know that one either
Federation Bushrangers
Federation & Imperial Bushrangers
Looking for an Australian/New Zealand fleet?
www.bushrangers.net
Captain
# 9
02-04-2013, 12:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkstocbr View Post
Wow I did not know that one either
Holy hell this is an EUREKA moment.

*goes to supplying the Starbase 3 times faster*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Comm. Pion
What should I wish upon the endless universe;
To be able to smile and forgive everything;
That's right, if we light up the dream in our hearts without averting our eyes;
We should be able to walk whatever tomorrow comes...

I am V. Adm. Kha Yuung, and I approve of this message.
Survivor of Romulus
# 10
02-04-2013, 02:15 AM
Quote:

Shame on me after a few years never known this, great tip. A few days ago would have been better after 250 torp I had to buy!